Really frustrated at running engine in

Grouch
This post is 3758 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been running my new engine in now strictly adhering the manufacturers instructions. It basically says only use a third of the throttle for the first 300 miles then increase to half a throttle until you reach 500 miles after which you can ride as normal.

I have been reading online about different methods and it comes down to the 'ride it like you stole it' method, which means ride it as you normally would (in my case) or the recommended by the manufacturers 'nice and easy' don't accelerate hard or use more than a third/half of the throttle.

I am now up to 300 miles and have had enough of pretending to be a Honda Melody. I'm just going to ride my bike as normal. According to my bike manual I should wait until I reach 500 to ride normally but, I have had enough of snarling about. It is in fact dangerous riding around at ridiculously low speeds and accelerating slower a snail.

I've done 300 miles following my manual to the very last detail so, I can't see how I can cause any damage to the engine if I start using its near full capabilities. From what I've seen and heard online even if I had off started redlining from the first mile the engine would be 100% fine.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nah it won't make a difference. From what I can gather if you redline the engine from day one you get more BHP faster acceleration but poor fuel consumption and a few thousand miles knocked off the overall life of the engine. If you ride it following instructions you get more miles to the gallon, overall longer engine life etc bla blah baahhh.

Grouch either you have money to burn or your just plain daft, the internet is full of bad advice!! listen to Welshi!! 2 hundred miles you could do that in a couple of evenings & with your track record with bikes is it really worth risking it, red line a bike from new is just plain stupid! you should almost never redline it if you want it to last. I can't work you out, you finally get a good bike & then you want to kill it,

its not like you could fix if it blew up in your face at this rate your going to be without a bike next summer as well and you'll still be paying for it :rant::madflame::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Yeah start's with Warning: This is a very controversial topic !!

guess you'll learn the hard way!!

I've seen on the internet where they paint a bald mans head & it looks like real hair

but I won't be trying that

• Like 1

That's just one of the many theories available. It won't do any harm if I just what the acceleration and speed is like just once before the 500 mile mark.

it's only 200 more miles...don't be silly man.

Do as the manufacturer recommends, or it'll all end in tears! :eusa_think:

tears of laughter from the guys on the internet he's taken notice of :biglaugha:

:( ok I'll be patient. On the plus side I can go from 1/3 to 1/2 throttle now. I need a good few days (weather wise) to put some miles on the clock. It's pissed it down the past week :(

Definitely take it easy Grouch - you can bash the final 200 miles out in a couple of rides, my average Sunday morning ride on my 125 was 120 miles.

I'll admit it, having run in a 125 and now a bigger bike I did find the 125 a struggle purely because they are so slow when adhering to the manual, but it'll be worth it. You've bought yourself a very expensive 125 so treat it well!

When running my 125 in I went out early / late to reduce the risk of someone around me getting pissed off by my granny antics, so maybe do the same for your final 200.

Have to admit, I thought you would have long since clocked up these 500 miles, I couldn't be torn off my bike when I first got it, always taking to long way to everything, ha ha!

Grouch out of interest whens the first service due on the bike, the first 500 miles are to bed them in, knock the edges off it if you like, normally followed with a oil change, at this point I wouldn't be shit ive gone over half throttle is my bike going to break, I would just not redline it or keep the revs up for prolonged running thats all, this is the most testing time for an engine especially when running in but as I said be sensible about it and think about the motor.

Definitely take it easy Grouch - you can bash the final 200 miles out in a couple of rides, my average Sunday morning ride on my 125 was 120 miles.I'll admit it, having run in a 125 and now a bigger bike I did find the 125 a struggle purely because they are so slow when adhering to the manual, but it'll be worth it. You've bought yourself a very expensive 125 so treat it well!When running my 125 in I went out early / late to reduce the risk of someone around me getting pissed off by my granny antics, so maybe do the same for your final 200.Have to admit, I thought you would have long since clocked up these 500 miles, I couldn't be torn off my bike when I first got it, always taking to long way to everything, ha ha!

I planned on doing so but, the weather has been extremely crap. It's done nothing but rain these past few weeks.

Grouch out of interest whens the first service due on the bike, the first 500 miles are to bed them in, knock the edges off it if you like, normally followed with a oil change, at this point I wouldn't be shit ive gone over half throttle is my bike going to break, I would just not redline it or keep the revs up for prolonged running thats all, this is the most testing time for an engine especially when running in but as I said be sensible about it and think about the motor.

It's due in for the first service at 600 miles. I defiantly won't be redlining it or riding hard. I just want to see what it's capable off.

when i rebuilt the xs I put mineral oil in and rode like I stole it. dropped the oil after 20 miles and filled with semi-synth. this theory is the bores get bedded in and this worked really well. the only caveat was that i reused the good parts so essentially, they had their "edges" knocked off and I could do that.

with a totally brand new bike, you got all that broken off shite lurking in the gearbox etc and cane-ing it won't do the bike much good recirculating it around the engine.

I'd drop the oil and put new in and then think about giving it some

Drewpy is right (so are the others) it's the crap from the manufacturers that causes the problems, you have to get rid of all the filings and sharp edges the knobheads leave in it first before you whack the throttle open, do as Drewpy says, change the oil now if you want and then you can be a bit more boisterous with it. But of course then you will be taking it back in 200 miles for the free service that it came with.

Cheers Drewpy :) now I know the reason I will wait until it's had its first service until I give it some. I could change the oil myself though I suppose???

"NO" !!!! Just think of the poor old XT, LEAVE IT ALONE !!!

• Like 1

I have always ridden normally from new with just a little more care as I scrub the tyres in and get used to the bike. That said, I have never had a new, single, 125. Did they throw in the 600 miles service as part of the price?

I pick the FZ up on Thursday and according to the FZ manual, the first 600 miles should "Avoid prolonged operation above 5800 r/min." (then the free service) and then "Avoid prolonged operation above 6900 r/min." until 1000 miles. It's a lot easier on a larger cc bike as I would guess that 5800 revs is about 70 MPH.

Keep the rev's low - it suits the weather too - and run it in properly.