XS250 Newbie

trodd69
This post is 3874 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I signed up for the forum a while ago but thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I recently swapped my '97 XV535S for an '81 XS250 and it seems I've got my work cut out for me. I've had a good look round the bike and am thinking that I need to get it running now after buying it with loads of bits missing and generally in unknown condition. Once it's had a run and I know it's salvegable then it's back to pieces for more cosmetic work and titivation - I've even got a colour scheme picked out, getting a bit ahead of myself there eh?

I guess I'll have lots of questions for everyone whilst I undertake this project but I'll also try and get some pictures and guides up for things that I encounter that might help others on here.

A bit about me; I'm a 34 year old Superyacht engineer and have been in overalls with a spanner of one kind or another in my hand for the last 18 years. I don't have a great deal of experience with small engines but seem to muddle my way through most of the time, if anyone's got any diesel 2 stroke questions though (70s era Sulzer especially) then drop me a line. My last bike was resprayed and generally tinkered with so I'm happy with paintwork etc and thought it was time for more of a nuts and bolts project, which is how I come to buy the XS for the princely sum of £237. I'm trying to keep track of my expendature so maybe in a few months I'll put together a comprehensive post about the time and cost of taking on a project like this, hopefully it will be more encouraging than off-putting as I'm hoping to keep things sensible. I've already got a few pics of various parts in bits so once I'm home I'll begin posting from time to time.

Well, that's a little bit about me so I guess I'll be around.

Trodd69

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Todd nice intro xs250 was my first bike! loved it,except for the points which were mega expensive back in 81 about same price as you can pick them up for now on ebay. :jossun:

Hey Trodd,

Welcome mate. With your background I don't think you'll have any problems getting the bike running.

• Like 1

Hi Todd nice intro xs250 was my first bike! loved it,except for the points which were mega expensive back in 81 about same price as you can pick them up for now on ebay. :jossun:

Hi Trodd, welcome to the forum mate.

Tommy

My first road bike was an xs250cw, which I bought back in 1981 as well. Where I differ tho is that I must have bought a pig and so have nowt but shit memories of mine. The fekking thing would never start and I would always be the last bloke out the shipyards cos I had just about flattened the battery and nackered myself out trying to kickstart the fekker...and that was me regularly changing the points as well

Thinking back it did get me through my test so wasn't all bad then

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Drewpy, I'm in the North East of Manchester - Rochdale/Oldham area, I take it you are somewhere thereabouts too?

Eccles meself and up.yours is a Boltonian

if you have any issues or a part, I have amassed a fair amount I can sell you cheap :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Drewpy, I'm sure there will be a few bits and bobs I need and you're not far away. Like I said once I'm home I should be mooching around on here every couple of days so I'll drop you a line as and when. Hopefully I'll have something to add on here in return, if anyone has any specific questions they think I'll encounter during the rebuild just drop me a line and I'll try to get a guide together of somesort or a few helpful pictures :)

:welcome: