New bike....new to me anyways

welshwan
This post is 3914 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have spent a couple of months hunting for a bike to replace my XT125X, i needed something with off-road capability and preferably something that had a supermoto model of the same bike (less of a headache to try and sort out a Sumo conversion) Also needed more ommph then the 125, anything 250 and up really.

I tried to arrange to view a '99 Honda xr250, but couldn't make a viewing before end of auction- so missed that one.

After looking for a good couple of months i managed to find a bike for the 'right price', plenty of power, tons of ground clearance, maybe a bit tall- but then again most of these enduro bikes are.

So i went to see a bike and after a lot of umming and argghhing over the price, we managed to settle on what i would say to be a fair enough price, told him i would be back the next week to fetch it, arranged to borrow a transit for the next week and now i have it!!!

warning

It's not another yammy :eusa_whistle:

$(KGrHqJ,!ooFG4WHNFf)BR0+GVsHjw~~60_58.J

$(KGrHqV,!rcFH!2dc!8kBR0+H01)nQ~~60_58.J

$(KGrHqZ,!n4FGvVnorBRBR0+HwQWWQ~~60_58.J

can you tell what it is yet?

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sweet! Congrats on grabbing a new bike. I get the feeling you're gong to have a riot on it down those Welsh lanes!

Yeah dirty those husqvarna Wr250 2smokers look crazy fast!...and just as tall lol.

Thanks bippo, can't wait to see how it does on the lanes!- so far, all i have done on it was have a quick blast round an industrial-estate when i was testing it prior to buying....i'm not going to lie, it scares me LOL- but i do like a challenge!

nice one!

The bloke said it passed it's MOT as it stands now. But it has MOT until next year, so no need to worry about that for a little while yet.

As far as i know that is the original tail, a bit random looking but it is a 2000 (X) reg, maybe they tried to make it look modern at the time. As long as all the lights are working and it keeps some mud from flying up my back then it'll do just fine for now.

As for my XT being a toy in comparison, you are 100% correct! I used to be able to start my XT on the kicker by hand! This one i cannot start in trainers and even with boots i think it will snap my ankle if it gets half a chance! Also i can get both my feet flat on the ground on my XT, this one is tip toe on both feet.

Whew " its a 610...a beast,,, great bikes husky"s steve Mcqueen,[ on any sunday] film.. heres my CR430

DSC00039.jpg

• Like 1

TE610 .... 577CC of thumper :hyper:

Jeez, I can see that on the swing arm now - quite a beast!!

Just take it easy and you'll soon get used to it - trust me, my Tiger scared me, and I struggled to get my feet on the floor too. Not long after having it I slipped into the mindset that I was still on my 125, kranked the throttle back to over-take someone... Damn thing nearly wheelied on me! Soon woke me up, and I've not done it since!

Sweet bike welshwan my buddy has both th SM and the te,I rode both and yeehaa quite the beast

That looks sweet! I like the huskies, look like absolute monsters!

Lets hope i don't think i'm riding the 125 bip, i think this bike would spit me off in a second if i wasn't ready for the acceleration!
Yeah hopefully once i get used to the power and height it should be all good!

It is a bitch to start Airhead! and it's kick only...but like you say, in due course. The bloke i bought it off was starting it on the first kick....takes me a few more then one kick at the moment! :eusa_whistle:

Thanks DT502001! When i had a test of the bike before buying i didn't even get to half rpm.....lol. Cant wait to get it out on the road! (before i go anywhere on it i really want to bleed front brake, change liquid in radiators and change the oil and clear the filter) waiting for the oil and liquid ice to turn up and will pick up some brake fluid tomorrow. Have been letting it tick over for about 5 mins every other day though.
Very jealous of your friend having the SM as well...... ever since i came across a certain video i have decided i need to have a set of SuMo wheels for it!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1dInhZvy7o

Just wait until they get to the mountain roads about 4 or 5 mins into the video!

cheers finnerz! i do agree they look ready to take on anything! (and probably will)

Definitely need some sumo wheels, I quite like the new sm 610. Tuned BMW engine, front end up every gear haha.

sounds good good good! I think having some SuMo wheels on the bike would be a great way to get the power down on the road! Plus supermotos have the best cornering!

Went for the first real spin on the open road today- fuck me it's stupidly quick (for a dirt bike!)

Speedo does not currently work so i dunno how quick i managed to get out of it, one thing i do know is it just keeps speeding up well past the point where the front wheel is speed wobbling (this is due to having dirt tires)

Will catapult you forward from any rpm- almost ticking over revs!

Haven't been off road yet (well i turned around in the garden and managed to take a nice chunk out of the lawn :eusa_whistle: ooops )

need to spend some more hours to get used to this behemoth.

Very happy lad! :spin2:

I wouldn't just right off the speed woble to tires check the head bearing's are tight and the rim dosen't have excessive run out.,Also check the ballance

Sounds like your real happy with the bike though,real torque monsters they are, have fun with your new toy.

thanks for the heads up dt50!

sorry but what does excessive run out on the rims mean? and how would i go about checking this? actually how would i check the head bearings for that matter?

If i hold the handle bars really tight, like tense my arms to the max then i can hold it fairly still at high speeds, this is what lead me to believe it was the tires? any thoughts?

One other thing (for now lol) the chain it making a clicking noise when the bike is moved, i lifted the back wheel and spun it and that is when it makes a noise (at the front sprocket i think, but not sure) any ideas about this one? i have checked that the chain is not too tight and have put some wax on it when cold...will re-wax when i next get it warmed up so it will stick .

it does sound just like an over tightened chain but the chain is not too tight, might too loose cause it? i think the chain is about right.

i am hoping its a fucked chain