Parts from the good 'ol US of A

carlmt
This post is 4016 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Request here for some info from the knowlegeable here....

I have the chance of obtaining a pair of very decent (not NOS) original silencers and rear mudguard for the XS400 from a chap in the US who has 'flat-tracked' his XS, and no longer wants them.

He wants me to make an offer but, to be honest, I have no idea what such items would be worth....

Any ideas folks?

Will drop a few photos here soon...

Cheers

CT

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

fender1_zps73a7da3b.jpg

fender2_zps48843ef0.jpg

pipes1_zps4c71bca0.jpg

pipes3_zps1f730768.jpg

I'd offer $50 as Postage will kill the deal.

If you really want silencers, Sito from Italy (company in Scotland import them last time I looked) make them for the xs.

I paid $25 canadian for an NOS rear guard a few years ago!

• Like 1

Cheers Drew - most helpful!!!

I know yours (ours / mine?) doesnt need them, but I was thinking that maybe a set put aside 'just in case' wouldnt go amis if they were cheap enough..... Plus, it would be a shame for him to just dump them....

I will punt him the $75 plus the postage (but not until he has told me the postage first!!!) and see what he says.

Thanks for the heads-up on Sito - I will look into that. Are they a faithful copy or just generic?

CT

Ah.........true..........

Can we get around this by him writing GIFT all over the packaging?????

CT

Cheers Drew - most helpful!!!

I know yours (ours / mine?) doesnt need them, but I was thinking that maybe a set put aside 'just in case' wouldnt go amis if they were cheap enough..... Plus, it would be a shame for him to just dump them....

I will punt him the $75 plus the postage (but not until he has told me the postage first!!!) and see what he says.

Thanks for the heads-up on Sito - I will look into that. Are they a faithful copy or just generic?

CT

pretty much the same shape but slightly longer IMHO.

• Like 1

dont forget you will get hit for import duty from USA

I don't think you pay import duty on used parts. :eusa_think:

• Like 1

I don't think you pay import duty on used parts. :eusa_think:

I purchased a second hand DT tail pipe the type with the removable baffle complete with mount bracket from the US, there was no import duty, however the package took ages to arrive, the packaging had been ripped appart and badly re-wrapped, ( I suppose the import gestapo figured it could be a fire arm or missile components.) I hope they got real sooted up checking it out, Hehehehe.

• Like 1

Its hit or miss carl" i bought , barrels/ pistons - £300/ -no duty, crankshaft-£450.[ new] - no duty, then i got seat trims £25.- hit for £8. duty,,, :spin2:

Made him an offer - just waiting to hear back now..............waiting...........................................waiting.................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A couple of years ago I purchased a front and rear mudguard for my 400/4 from california (before they did reproduction ones)

I purchased them on two seperate occasions.

The rear guard was about £75 with p and p, then it got stuck at Heathrow for customs and excise, import taxes and heathrow handling charge.I contested the VAT saying it was secondhand, they sent me a load of HM government forms to complete and still got stung. Heathrow notified me it had arrived and was in 'holding' It was pay up or it was sent back and i'd still pay handling charges. Final bill was over £100 and it took 4 weeks extra on top of the 2 week arrival time.

i understand it was all to do with the value on the consignment sticker by the sender.

Next time i asked him to put a value of $10 on the consignment i.e make it worthless. (it didn't effect his end it was afterall a secondhand part of questionable value!) and it went straight through. Arrived 10 days from purchase.

I did think if it got lost I'd have trouble proving its worth if it only had $10 on it ........but then i thought heh! even if it was valuable i honestly didn't think I'd ever get anywhere near its value, as they would never pay up anyhow.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online