Kawasaki GPz 750 R Problem

davie6711
This post is 4049 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant see it being a problem as you also seem to have Yamaha's.... And I am curious now to what the question is.

By the way is the bike Green?

Cheers everyone!

No it's not green is red and black.

It is the same style as the GPz900 but is 750. A G model or water cooled version.

I've been bodging/rebuilding this thing on and off for a few years now and after a sudden burst of enthusiasm I took the carbs home, took them apart and cleaned them in an OCD frenzy and fitted K&N type cone filters. Then enthusiasm faded as I acquired the XJ750 mentioned in other threads. Anyway, after trying to refit the carbs on and off for a month cos I couldn't get the accelerator cable to fit I finally managed it after turning the carbs the wrong way round.

RESULT!!!! I quickly attached the rest of every thing like the fuel lines/tank/breathers and attached the booster pack....it tried to start and then fuel started pishing every where from the carb overflow pipe. Then the booster pack went flat. Just like my enthusiasm. I presume that the floats are now jammed and the whole lot will need to come apart. PLEASE no? One other thing, when i was cleaning the carbs I noticed one diaphragm had a slight split but I managed to catch the split and jammed it when I put the carb top back on. New diaphragm from Kawasaki £94 plus VAT!!! No thanks.

Anyone have any comments? You can take the piss if you like as at least that might make me laugh :eusa_doh:

Pissing fuel out over-flow,,,,,,,,,, stuck floats or float height not set correct or needle not seating correct due to dirt.

Split diaphragm,,,,,,, bike never gona start or at least it wont fire on that cylinder.

Depending on what stuff ya moved when cleaning the carbs,,,,,,,, they will prob now need balancing.

Bit more work ta do on her yet Davie.

Diaphragm's should be cheeper at Wemoto or Ebay.

HTH

Been there with the ZL900, <_< carbs were a bitch to refit, [ hard rubbers] , i got a new ..old stock diaphram & slide for £40. [ebay]

the fueling ,as you had them down already, shurly you cleaned them , i thinks you"v put one of the fuel pipes on to an overflow outlet, as they look similar, and are at the top side of cab also,,, another tip , ditch the coils and leads, and fit gpz 6r or ZX10 stick coils,

this is a must on these old bangers,, :yeah:

Cheers Guys,

You're all right of course. It's just that it took soooo lonf to get the throttle cable back on I would've love someone to have said sumfin easy.

Blackhat, thepipes are all kind of in the correct place as they've been there for so long they all kind of point where they need to go if you know what i mean.As far as I could tell the main fuel inlet pipe is fairly large, black and comes from the centre top of the carbs. There are various overflows again kind of fell in to place when i refitted them. I took them apart and used carb cleaner and compressed air to clean and blow through the jets etc.

I used a heat gun on the carb to head rubbers and they went back on surprisingly easy.

I'll take them off bring them home and take photo's in the next couple of days.

Once again everyone thanks for the advice/info.

Davie

Hey drewpy, I always thought you had to buy a diaphragm along with the slide as they are a one piece assembly?

they either supply the diaphrams with or without, depending on the model how easily they are replaced.

I know peeps who have fitted them to the XS slides

Thats nice and in good nick,,,,, definatly worth getting her rumming smooth.

I used a repair kit on my CBR,, i only needed some of the bits but other than that it all looked good.

Yip same engine style and carbs as the illiminator,[ ZL900] , you"v got pods on, easier to access carbs, what a bitch if the aibox is on :eusa_doh: , is the 750 with them pods on not a little hesident to take throttle when cold, ? also see when on side stand, and it rains, it floods that No1 cylinder plug hole, and miss fires, the camchain housing acts like a dam.[ pat remember u;llapool , ] after a night outside, mine was on 3 for 5 mls, bad design,, :eusa_snooty:

ZL900006.jpg

I've only put the pods on since rebuilding the carbs. I've not had her running in about 6 years. Today when i took the pics I had another go and it tried to start first turn but then the booster pack went flat.

Bit of work and carbs out again..............................

and it rains, it floods that No1 cylinder plug hole, and miss fires, the camchain housing acts like a dam.[ pat remember u;llapool , ]

I sure do remember Ullapool.

I slept curled up in a ball in the corner of me tent,,,,,, tent leaked and i was trying to stay away from the pool of water.

I remember ya showing me plug 1 swiming in water in the morning.

I also remember ya bike conking out a few times then you bumping it back ta life. One of the times was on a corner and the rear locked up on wet road for a sec. I was laughing to myself (not in a bad way) and admired the way ya straightened her up again.

Once she's all dried up and warm she's a whour of a bike ta go though :thumb:

The last one shows the carbs in place but they will now need to come out.

I've seen repair kits on ebay. Anyone used them?

keyster carb kits a great for the money IMO

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-GPZ750-KZ750-ZX750-A1-A3-CARB-KIT-1982-1985-/290858602737?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b88610f1

Thats a great bike you have there davie

Thanks Airhead,

I love the style of the bikes from the 1980's. I remember years ago, I must've been about 16 and the first GPz1100 Unitrack appeared in the Greenock area and it looked amazing and the guy that owned was quite short so it looked really massive!

I seem to have acquired quite a mix with the XJ750, GPz750 and the latest addition a CBX750. I've had the GPz for about 6 years but due to having nowhere to work on it it was in a mates damp garage miles away from where I lived until recently. I had done quite a bit of work to it prior to that. Just the usual tyres, battery, service stuff and other essentials like new brake pad and indicators. Now I have a place to work on it, there should be some progress. Mine is a G model GPz, the water cooled one but the link you kindly provided is for the earlier A series, the air cooled ones. You think they'll be the same? Stripping carbs is about the limit of my mechanical capabilities but i'll give it another go. I'll get them off on Wednesday and takes some photo's then.

As always, thanks for your help!

Aye davie , i used to visit Greenock in the 1980"s knew guys called Barry donighie. and John doolan,, you know them ? :eusa_think:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online