changing bike colour.

shambles1980
This post is 4174 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I want to re-spray my bike from the original red to british racing green.

It has been mentioned that if i do that i have to notify the dvla of the changes and any changes will cost me money...

is this true and if so do you know whow much it costs to change the bikes registerd colour

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am pretty sure change of colour is free

just the price of a stamp

Can confirm its free. I have just re-registered the colour of my 59 Speedtwin from blue to black (what other colour is there). The updated v5 arrived yesterday. No charge

Does it affect resale value? I was told before by a garage that changing a car's colour does... (don't know if it's true or the same for bikes mind)

Value is only what the buyer thinks it's worth surely? If you do a good job of painting it then it's worth more than a crappy splodge job.

normally changing the colour of a bike will maybe not enhance the value

but it will enhance the intrest

as normally a resprayed bike has no rust or panel issues(if its done right lol)

i've just done mine ready for airbrushing

Picture081.jpg

i know a professional body work/paint guy. he will do it for me at low cost.

so should turn out epic.

i will do the prep work 1st "sanding and probably primer it"
then he can do the rest.

figured im striping it all down in the next few days any way. so may as well send the asthetics off to be painted whilst i have the engine in bits. also i got a replacment side panel (right "you can seeits missing from the airbox in my avatar) but it was blue, so i wont be trying to colour match and have one sparkeling panel and the test all dull...

i need to re do a lot of the wiering whilst im at it.

When i was checking the indecators the rear right one wasnt working. upon closet inspection one of the wires was just dangeing loose.

that is enough insentive for me to check the whole thing out.

Il probably paint the frame black my self whilst im at it.

Il probably paint the frame black my self whilst im at it.

Let me know how that goes, im thinking of stripping the DT50 right down and starting from scratch now that i have all the parts i need, but dont have the money to get it shotblasted/powdercoated and was thinking about enamel painting it