Given the choice would you wear a helmet?

Grouch
This post is 4322 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear a helmet, even if I go by bus................................................................................................ That is more to do with my looks than safety.

Seriously, I had a few offs where the helmet had deep gouges in it. I am OK with open face helmets and have a flip and full face at the moment. It is weird riding without a helmet on the few occasions where I rode on closed roads without one.

Mallory, BLOODY CHEEK!! We had good bikes Francis Barnett AJS Triumph Norton oh actually when I think about it they were a load of old crap, leaked oil everywhere and broke down in the wet/dry/sunshine/windy & even the thought of thunder made them tremble a bit, so yes we had bikes but they were and still are only good for looking at not for riding. Now horses that's a whole other story!! :jossun::biglaugha: :biglaugha:

Amazed at how many people wear lid, jacket, etc... but few people wear any kind of protective trousers, especially as the knee is often the first thing to smack tarmac.

I do wear protective trousers but only in the cold / wet / damp conditions, When its hot i just wear either jeans or once i loose some weight i will wear my draggin jeans again. lol

In Greece (yeh we;re broke etc).. most riders don;t wear helmets due to the excessive heat (poor excuse I know) but there have been a couple of occasions whereby riders have passed out wearing them. It is legal requirement to wear a helmet there but in peak summer and during the day, the police will turn a blind eye if riders are behaving. (Unwritten rule, I guess).

Having ridden without a helmet (in the late 80's!), it is a great feeling and the spacial awareness is far far far greater but would never ride without one now given the dangers.

i wear all the gear at all times . as a retired motorcross driver hitting the dirt was hard enuf i can only imagen how the road feels . as a previous post said id rather b sweaty and smelly than no teeth and road rash up to bitz !

I read somewhere (may even have been on here) that not wearing proper bike trousers is pretty much like wearing shorts. The material will be ripped through in seconds and then its the flesh and bone to go next :bawling:

They said that leather was by far the best way to go, but I myself use the gore tex material stuff, might cause some accidents for cage drivers if I passed them in leathers not to mention the impossibility of getting them on lol.

In Greece (yeh we;re broke etc).. most riders don;t wear helmets due to the excessive heat (poor excuse I know) but there have been a couple of occasions whereby riders have passed out wearing them. It is legal requirement to wear a helmet there but in peak summer and during the day, the police will turn a blind eye if riders are behaving. (Unwritten rule, I guess).

Having ridden without a helmet (in the late 80's!), it is a great feeling and the spacial awareness is far far far greater but would never ride without one now given the dangers.

There is loads of stupid laws regarding Helmets.

Some places state that you must own a helmet,........Don't say you HAVE to wear it. Others say that you must wear a Helmet..........But dose not specify where on your body so you see most people with it on there arm!

Just a thought, but if someone wearing protective kevlar bike trousers had an off,,and say broke a leg in a couple of places, what are they like for paramedics cutting them off with a pair of scissors? surely it would be a struggle to do?

Just a thought, but if someone wearing protective kevlar bike trousers had an off,,and say broke a leg in a couple of places, what are they like for paramedics cutting them off with a pair of scissors? surely it would be a struggle to do?

hmm, still think I'd rather have them struggle to get my trousers off rather than zipping me up in a body bag.

I would imagine they must be able to cut them ok, after all, there must be stitching in the trousers so they must be able to get snip snips through them?

Think they would just cut up the seam (stitching) But if they has scissors that can cut through leather then im sure they will go through Kevlar too.

lol just found this you can read into this two ways,mind. I think its something to do with where you put an apostrophe.

• Permanently lined in the backside, hips, outside of leg, thigh and knees with soft knitted kevlar®.
  • Made from the best quality heaviest weight denims. (Black womens jeans are now only available in stretch denim for a comfortable but snug fit.)

Further to your query about cutting kevlar trousers, I was a paramedic for 30 years and can say that I have never come across anything a descent pair of scissor will not cut through, I still have my japanese scissors that were issued and they were sharp enough to cut mild steel, the only thing they struggled with believe it or not was wollen jumpers, bloody things from shetland were like trying to cut a wet sponge with chopsticks & they soaked up blood like you would not believe. So if you wear kevlar don't worry about getting them cut off I can assure you that they will be gone before you can say "Oi those things cost a fortune" :bawling:

I read somewhere (may even have been on here) that not wearing proper bike trousers is pretty much like wearing shorts. The material will be ripped through in seconds and then its the flesh and bone to go next :bawling:

They said that leather was by far the best way to go, but I myself use the gore tex material stuff, might cause some accidents for cage drivers if I passed them in leathers not to mention the impossibility of getting them on lol.

Gore-Tex is for weather, not abraision protection. You want the stuff with kevlar liners, if you're going down the textile route.

In a 40mph slide:

Denim will wear right through in 0.5 seconds

Gore-Tex itself will likely melt.

Decent quality 2-ply Kevlar in about 10-12.

2 to 3-ply 1.2mm clothing leather will last over 55 seconds.

No just got me thinking is all, lumberjacks wear kevlar chaps and/or jeans, to protect themselves from a chainsaw cutting through at god knows how many revs per second, so I was just thinking that scissors would be a bit futile against a pair of bikers kevlar jeans. and yes you can cut the seams, but again I would have thought they'd use a kevlar thread, bit like archery bow string is made up of, infact I've even used kevlar thread for carp fishing as a hooklength.

Gore-Tex is for weather, not abraision protection. You want the stuff with kevlar liners, if you're going down the textile route.

Thats what I meant I wear, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called. Gore Tex with Kevlar is what I have, I think lol.

Good expensive stuff, thats all I remember lol.

Simple fact, riding with no helmet is retarded. It's one of the limited bits of protection you have on a motorbike. If you don't wear one and you have an accident then tough. It's your own fault. You wouldn't go to war without a gun would you? Lol. You know what I mean.

Simple fact, riding with no helmet i s retarded. It's one of the limited bits of protection you have on a motorbike. If you don't wear one and you have an accident then tough. It's your own fault. You wouldn't go to war without a gun would you? Lol. You know what I mean.

+1, well on the helmet, never been to war myself... :duel:

No helmet on a motorbike, is a no brainer, simple as.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online