Harley Davidson Iron 883

Matthew Duncan
This post is 4360 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i kain its nae a yamaha, but im starting to think about my next bikee . .

looking at the above, its 6700, brand new and if i pay 3k as a deposit i can pay the rest of in 2 years at 2.2% interest . .

anyone had any experience or heard anything about them ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Harley's are a good bike (not great) word of warning, your either spend your week end polishing the chrome or fixing the faults with them, but when you get the chance to ride it on its good day your love it!

Its a tinkering bike.

well, thats what i like about the iron 883, cos unlike most of the other sportsters in the range, most of it, inc the engine, is mat black, rather than chrome ! that wouldnt bother me - nothing wrong with spending the weekend polishing, and as for the tinkering - i prefer a bike that i kain hwo to tinker with rather than one thats got more electrical components than mechanical.

dilema i have is, do i buy it this year, or do i wait another year ? if i wait another year do i buy a car, or do i just keep my xj600n and keep saving my pennies ?

xj600n is starting to get a bit worn out and tempremental . . .

Save up as much as poss as Harleys are not cheap. (to buy or to maintain) Expect it to be temperamental as well

theree was a feew cupple o' year old ones for around 4000-5000 price range, but when i can buy a brand new one for 2k more is it worth that? but i dont fancy buying a second hand one that someone else has made there own - i wand the basic bike, than i can change in any way "I" want :)

Go for it - i work by a Harley dealer; used to hate them but now i actually quite like them. As Drewpy's sig says they are noisy, gutless bits of pig iron. But they are pretty rugged and have a style that no-one quite emulates (victory maybe?).

If i get another bike, i think a harley will be high up the list.

what like are the bikes maintence wise? i've heard a few people say these bikes are pretty much maintenence free, but others say there forever needing something done - what could i expect?

what like are the bikes maintence wise? i've heard a few people say these bikes are pretty much maintenence free, but others say there forever needing something done - what could i expect?

Think its more a pretty maintainance fee, your buying a badge. They don't go, don't handle and don't stop. You can buy a shed load of stuff at inflated prices and then it will do what any other modern bike will do. Just badly.

You either want a harley or you don't. Waste of time trying to justify it. If it were me i'd want an old one, knuckle or shovel head. One of the de mob yankee forces ones would be ice cold cool in matt black.

The modern stuff. If they were cars they would be MK3 cortina's. In a world of mondeo's.

Your money your choice but they are a bit agricultural ie built like a tractor. Nothing wrong with that as such but your only buying a Harley not the life style I hope, every one of the guys I have seen on one will ignore you or go out of their way to piss you off. :jossun:

not to mention you need to need to keep checking everything is tight

as they shake theyrselfs to bits

also their bodywork dont like our salty enviroment

that and other things being said your buying a name and a lifestyle

me i love them just cant afford one

• Admin

I never thought I'd say this... my friend has just bought one last week. He's had matt black exhausts and a few other parts added and it looks a really nice bike. It's quite small as well.

Matthew, just been out on the bike in the sunshine and pulled up next to a guy on a HD, big fat thing with lots of chrome on it (the bike) I looked round and said morning nice day for a ride out and bugger me if he didn't smile and say Hi right back, just goes to show they aint all stuck up bleeders like I thought, so as long as you say Hi to people then I guess it's alright if you go out and buy one after all cos they won't extract your sense of humour after all if you get one. :biglaugha:

i was out for a ride at the weekend, and had a shot of one of a friends friend, granted it never kept up with your sportys, and sports tourers, but unlike the people on there r6's he wasna in pain after he got off haha.

there actually really comfy and a nice size, but as someone said, they do get a bit pricey . . 350 for the fuel gauge as an optional extra ? WFT!

think i may have to reconcider . . but they are really nice bikes . . . .if i had the money, and insurace wasnt gonna be a problem i would fork out for an older harley, but i cant afford that :/

theree was a feew cupple o' year old ones for around 4000-5000 price range, but when i can buy a brand new one for 2k more is it worth that? but i dont fancy buying a second hand one that someone else has made there own - i wand the basic bike, than i can change in any way "I" want :)

It may sound like buying new is getting you more for your money but remember around £1k of the £2k is going to be VAT and on the road costs, but it may also be that the second hand ones are overpriced.

I always hankered after a Harley but my mate had one but has now moved on to a Triumph as he got fed up of spending the time keeping the Harley going, that put me off, he did used to wave at other bikes though...

well, the harley (brand new) wud save money on MOT's, plus hopefully wudnt need anything done for the, being new, and im pretty sure it comes with a harley warrenty and brakedown cover. . .

old man used to have a trident t150 . .1975 i think ? that was a nice bike :)

If i was to get a Harley i would either have a Shovel head Dyna or if i was rich id get an old WW2 WLM and bob it! check out Billy Lanes WLM bobber! so basic yet its every thing a bike should ever need!

Had a friend with an Electra Glide and it was a smooth ride, but way too much machine for me. He also had a knuckle head that I would have loved to take off his hands. :D

My dad has a 1940 flat head with jockey shift. It was in pieces in boxes when he bought it. If ever I was to have a Harley I think it would be this one. I would love to restore it.

nonis_scooter.jpg

(sorry about the crap pic, but the poor bike's buried in the garage since pops got his Vespa and I can't get a better pic atm)

He gets plenty of sh*t from my mom about his "self-oiling chain" - there's always an oil spot in the garage.

If i was to get a Harley i would either have a Shovel head Dyna or if i was rich id get an old WW2 WLM and bob it! check out Billy Lanes WLM bobber! so basic yet its every thing a bike should ever need!

I did a Google search to find this bike but all i found was the news about Billy Lane's drunk driving accident. :( Do you know where I can find a pic?

Sorry sacha im afraid I got dibs on your dads flat head! Im gunna marry him just so I get it lol. I will try n get you a pick of billys bobber but im at home sick at the mo, got chest infection but as I have bad back the coughing is doing me in.

Sorry sacha im afraid I got dibs on your dads flat head! Im gunna marry him just so I get it lol. I will try n get you a pick of billys bobber but im at home sick at the mo, got chest infection but as I have bad back the coughing is doing me in.

LMAO that you're gonna marry my dad. you two would make a cute couple. ha! I'm afraid my mom's pretty fiery though so she might give you a run for your money. :D you could always butter her up. LOL

Sorry you're illin. Take it easy and feel better! Thanks for checking on that pic. I'd love to see it, but there's no rush.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online