slipping clutch on xvs 650 dragstar

albur53
This post is 4042 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

clu tch slipping in higher gears when accelerating quickly. set up to dot on nearside casing , have to release lever almost fully to move off. running on semi synthetic. have had plates and springs out and both measure almost max. size . had bike for 1yr is making me crazy . Any advice out there. thanx

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Greetings. If you've at all perused this site you will notice a bit of intro and hello is a friendly gesture for a friendly answer :)

Adjust the clutch cable. When did you switch to synthetic?

hello and thanx for reply. hopefully may get some needed info on hassle with clutch. I am new to forum and still learning ways of crowd. my xvs650 is running on semi synth when i got bike . as i have said plates and springs and plates have been removed and measured ,both good. set up as per manual to nearside casing guide marks and no matter what adjustment to cable still clutch slips in 4 and 5 when looking for quick response .I have noticed on ebay b4 people selling used plates that were not required due to other fault . It is m/cycle oil i am using in bike . Hopefully someone has some good info that will help me resolve problem . all replies gratefully received.

thanx for reply .re. slipping clutch . i have already adjusted and double checked adjustment on pressure plate . that task requires removal of exhaust , drain oil and side casing off bike . ta much guys hoping for more ideas .

thanx for reply .re. slipping clutch . i have already adjusted and double checked adjustment on pressure plate . that task requires removal of exhaust , drain oil and side casing off bike . ta much guys hoping for more ideas .

if you have bike specific oil in there...correct clutch adjustment...correct cable adjustment ... plates and springs within specification you have just ticked all the boxes

If the clutch has been slipping for a long time then the plates could have become "glazed",,,,,, this means they could be shines and slippy and feel like glass. If this has happened then they will never work propper no matter what adjusting you do.

Did you say the springs are at there max size ? I think that means that they are weak and can now stretch too much. Check your manual for spring tolerances, there should be a max and a min allowance.

Edit: could be stretched cable too

A quick and easything to do would be to change the oil. Change it for the exact type and quality that is syas in the owners manual and nothing else.

have to agree , i had the same problem with the virago, i used semi -synthetic oil and got all sorts of silly problems, reverted back to a good quality mineral oil, -no problems

lots of feedback to semi synth oil . i think i will try mineral oil first . thanks for moment , will post outcome

You MIGHT just have to do it twice, depends upon the contamination, the first one will be like a flushing out rinse.

I know the 125 has less power, thus less prone to slip, but I run ester in my bike, and its never slipped, any motorcycle oil shouldnt slip.

Maybe your clutch springs have heated and cooled once too much and they aint as clampy as they were before, and/or if coupled with worn plates, it may need a new clutch.

Synthetic oil, if anything, should prolong the life of a clutch, but thats only if its not shagged to begin with.

How are you riding it?

Are you revving the nuts off it and dumping the clutch?

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem as the OP. Slipping clutch in 3rd, 4th and 5th, under hard acceleration, right in the power band. I don't think it's the oil, I changed that couple of months ago. I would like to eliminate other possibilities to worn clutch plates before replacing them. Has the OP solved his problem?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online