Can it be leaner legal?

Shaun G
This post is 4608 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question was answered clearly ages ago, so the hi-jacking of the thread is irrelevant really. I wouldnt say it was a tough forum as, the question was answered. People have just been discussing the risks involved in riding a bigger bike. All useful comments if you ask me.

People have just been discussing the risks involved in riding a bigger bike. All useful comments if you ask me.

I guess not, since driving a car, riding a 125 and thinking you have good riding ability clearly qualifies one to ride something with twice the weight and thrice the power...

Wish I'd never wasted my time listening to those with more experience, or paying for lessons. Guess it really is all about speed and nothing else.

Hey Shaun, you need to get yourself fully licenced then you can come and play properly! Have a look at this

That's Ttaskmaster on his way to work, he got halfway there and remembered he'd forgotten his sandwiches so had to gun it so as not to be late! :lol::lol::lol:

I watched a couple of parts of that video and I was really disappointed it didn't have a good ending

1 - They both fulfilled their death wishes without harming any innocents

2 - Someone got some cheap GXR parts from a breakers yard from what was left

No wonder the few ruin it for the many :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like you get a bit of a beating if your not a full on Petrol head, oh well, Ive never been bothered by asking in ignorance to hopefully become better informed. My XVS (bought now) is awesome, Theory now passed and DA booked for next week, I hope if you guys ever want to take up a new hobby/Pastime etc you get better treatment than the self inflated goons have given me, Some of you were however very helpful (you know who you are) and thanks for that, Oh please no more videos, they don't impress. I by trade are a Horse riding instructor and as such play an active roll in the Horse and Hound forums, there are aslo the usuall mix of bullies and helpfulness there, i just had the opinion that Bikers where on the whole a more level headed friendly bunch than my own native Horse riders who can be very snobbish and really dismisive of people with less knowledge than themselves, myself as an Instructor would choose to help rather than tell someone "how stupid they are" I guess were all not very different Horse riders and Bikers, on the forums at least :P. I sit back and await the storm :)

Hmmm .... not going to get into the bullies debate (although I can't see any bullying here, just strong opinions), however "4 years riding an unrestricted RS 125" - really? So, you've been riding unlicensed and uninsured for 4 years and you don't see anything wrong with that? Seems like you're the reason my insurance premiums keep going up, despite a pristine licence and spotless accident record - thanks a bunch!

Hmmm .... not going to get into the bullies debate (although I can't see any bullying here, just strong opinions), however "4 years riding an unrestricted RS 125" - really? So, you've been riding unlicensed and uninsured for 4 years and you don't see anything wrong with that? Seems like you're the reason my insurance premiums keep going up, despite a pristine licence and spotless accident record - thanks a bunch!

Nope, i didnt realise it was unrestricted until after my time with the bike was over, my point was riding somthing like this without so much as a scrapped wing mirror surely gives me some semblance of road worthyness, I merely thought " oh it's a 125 so im legal" always insured, always taxed etc, I also dont ride like an idiot. Im the reason your insurance is going up? away with you, the only claims ive had in the last 15 years or so is some fool running into my wife on my policy so i dont think I can take the blame for your increased premiums. You lot really are an unfriendly bunch aren't you. i begining to wish I'd bought a Honda. all i asked was CAN MY XVS BE RESTRICTED? and I get all this!!! Im gonna try my hardest not to log on here again as my bike time should be a happy one and certainly not like this. Dam and to think my opening gambit was " this is my 1st post here so please be kind" ha!! no such look. Im outta here.

Man! you think this is bad???? You were lucky not to have been shreaded for not posting an introduction as your first post, It's usually like a cat being dropped into a cage full of dogs!

Having re-read this thread in its entirety, It seems to me that the only one getting pissy is you Shaun. AndyDTr08 did make a comment of 'quite rightly too' but it was explained that this was probably meant as a general observation rather than directed at you personally, to which you replied ' Point taken'. As far as I can see, none of the other posts are in any way inflamatory or derogatory towards you, not withstanding Kirrepete's last post, which due to an ignorance of the law not being admissable as mittigating circumstance is factually correct, and ulimately a respose to your agressive stance.

Enjoy your bike once you're licenced, lighten up and don't be a stranger.

Nope, i didnt realise it was unrestricted until after my time with the bike was over, my point was riding somthing like this without so much as a scrapped wing mirror surely gives me some semblance of road worthyness, I merely thought " oh it's a 125 so im legal" always insured, always taxed etc, I also dont ride like an idiot. Im the reason your insurance is going up? away with you, the only claims ive had in the last 15 years or so is some fool running into my wife on my policy so i dont think I can take the blame for your increased premiums. You lot really are an unfriendly bunch aren't you. i begining to wish I'd bought a Honda. all i asked was CAN MY XVS BE RESTRICTED? and I get all this!!! Im gonna try my hardest not to log on here again as my bike time should be a happy one and certainly not like this. Dam and to think my opening gambit was " this is my 1st post here so please be kind" ha!! no such look. Im outta here.

You asked in your original post

'can i get it restricted to ride on a CBT until I pass my Theory and my DA? '

And I think you got a reasonable answer.

OK, let's review the bidding:

1 - You ask if the 650 can be restricted so you can ride it on a CBT ticket.

2 - Dean_DT gives you the 100% correct answer

3 - Andy gives a similar answer (factually incorrect on power, but no big deal), then he voices his opinion that the restriction to 125's is a good thing.

4 - Leatherat gives the same factually correct answer

5 - You come back a bit miffed that Andy hasn't recognised your prowess thanks to your apprenticeship on an unrestricted 125

6 - Micheal Winner OldGit says "Calm down dear, it's just a general statement"

7 - You - Point taken

8 - TTM gives sound advice on the jump from 125 to anything more hefty

9 - Leatherat and his mad video

10 - Andy confirms his point was a general one

11 - 17 - Sidetracked over the antics in the video

18 - You - I only wanted my question answered. I'm totally confident coz I've been riding a fast 125 for 3 years. It's a tough forum.

19 - OldGit agrees that the 650 is not all that quick

20 - Leatherat - more clarification on the law as regards restrictions and a 'Tough? Not really, hope you've not been put off'

21 - up.yours simple answer to the original question, ie: no

22 - Andy - not tough, just discussing risks

23 - TTM gets a wee bit sarcy in response to your self-proclaimed riding prowess.

24 - More video sidetracking

25 - You get sniffy again

26 - I get a wee bit annoyed at you trying to take the moral high ground and feel it's time to bring you back to earth over your illegal past

27 - You get all self-justificatory (made up word?) again

28 - Leatherat - chill dude, this is nothing.

29 - PeterC - You asked and got an answer - problem?

So .... looking back, the only attitude being shown here was from you because you think you're a good rider based on your time on a 125 and can't seem to grasp that more experienced riders may not think the same.

As for my wee dig about insurance - you hear all the talk about premiums rising to cover for uninsured riders/drivers? That's you on your 125, in fact if you're still riding it now before passing your test you are illegal, so don't! The 'I didn't realise it was unrestricted' argument (a) won't wash with m'learned friends and (B) shows that your riding prowess is nowhere near as good as you think if you can not tell how much power you've got.

Please try to see that no-one here is having a go at you, all advice so far has been in the spirit of education, so accept it for what it is, take a chill pill and join in the banter.

Oh yeah, having your first post as a question to the masses - here's where you normally end up: Click Me - be thankful.

One more thing - when you move the 125 on, please don't flog it to some 17-year old on a CBT. They won't restrict it, they'll be illegal, they may end up wrapped around a tree or worse.

Stay safe, stay upright, stay calm, but stay here, it really is a friendly place

As a new member myself, i wanted to add that so far every one that has replied to my posts has been very nice and very helpful, definitely not tough and i have managed to progress my project massively in just a couple of days thanks to members on here, this is a great place to be if you ride.

8 - TTM gives sound advice on the jump from 125 to anything more hefty

23 - TTM gets a wee bit sarcy in response to your self-proclaimed riding prowess.

Sarcasm? From ME? Surely you jest, sir!!

This is yet another of the arsey lot that the world is full of. This one is a bit older than normal, but still doesn't want to know us or our reasoning... just wants free advice.

He misunderstood something and kicked off, which is somewhat understandable at a stretch. But what sealed it is his unwillingness to hear the reasoning. Don't need 'em like that. Fair game, I say.

• 4 weeks later...

Hehe, "dont need em like that"? I never have been a good boy, but hey ho, lets put it behind us imo, I've now passed my test (mod 1 &2) first time and just got back from a few days touring the Brecon Beacons with my wife, it was great, took it nice and steady, so the wife would be happy and not scared :P I do understand that a lot of folks are daft on bikes and i agree that i maybe looked a bit over confident, but i know I can ride well, and more importantly safely, I'd like to stay a part of these forums without the worry of a huge flaming (semi flames I can deal with) anyway I just thought I'd log on to update you guys as to my test passing.

Congratulations fella. Glad you passed + had a good time on your trip. Ride safe & do stick around

Well done on the test pass, that's great news. You bored with that 650 yet??? :)

Ain't the Beacon roads great! Just got to make sure you rein in the urge to be all Rossi about it, a lad at work was helicoptered off the mountains after getting a bit ambitious and becoming part of the scenery! Stay safe,& be lucky!

I do understand that a lot of folks are daft on bikes and i agree that i maybe looked a bit over confident,

Just understand how the initial posts looked and that we do get a lot of genuine twats, most of whom are only interested in how fast their bike goes (and cannot just look it up on Google). Half of them we never see again anyway, except buried in a hedge.

However, you've had the 'baptism of fire' as it were, as well as passing yer test and seem all the better for it.

So, after all that palava - Welcome to the forum!! :D

Thanks for all being gracious, I'll try to answer all your questions. Yes I'm a little bored with the 650 :P everything over took me (dam me and my sticking to 70 - 75 ways) but my arms are getting pretty buff with all the hanging onto the bars for 6 hours, I've just done Cornwall and back (3 day run & around 1000 miles) and it got shall we say a little incomfortable :P, my wife who went pillion also hurt somewhat, so she googled *comfortable pillion bikes* which suggested an Suzuki Intruder c800, I'll see how it goes. As for the horses, I teach riding, carriage driving and Level 1 & 2 Diploma in stable managment and horse care, and yes the same skills are indeed very important. Oh BTW can anyone recommend a good rider to pillion communication setup?

Oh BTW can anyone recommend a good rider to pillion communication setup?

I'd reccomend telling them their leathers seem a little tighter fit than the previous outing, it'll keep her quiet for hours trust me :eusa_whistle:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online