Carrying Cards (Registration/Insurance) on my Bike

74Dusted
This post is 4670 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

How do you guys with the old DT's carry your cards?

I've got nowhere to carry my Insurance Card & Registration Card on my 1978 DT125, unless i shove em somewhere the sun don't shine. lol.

I kind of wanted to build a tiny Luggage Rack to mount behind the seat, something capable of hauling small items : Roll of Welding Wire (for a MIG Welder), Maybe a box of Spark Plugs for a Car, you know that kind of stuff. If I do that, I'll build a Glovebox under it to hold my cards. But until then, anybody have some suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cor, how big are these things???!!! :blink:

Do they not fit in a pocket? :(

How do you guys with the old DT's carry your cards?

I've got nowhere to carry my Insurance Card & Registration Card on my 1978 DT125, unless i shove em somewhere the sun don't shine. lol.

I kind of wanted to build a tiny Luggage Rack to mount behind the seat, something capable of hauling small items : Roll of Welding Wire (for a MIG Welder), Maybe a box of Spark Plugs for a Car, you know that kind of stuff. If I do that, I'll build a Glovebox under it to hold my cards. But until then, anybody have some suggestions?

Hmmm, we don't have your problem over here Dusted, the only thing we need to display is our paper road tax disc, (approx 2 1/2" circle)which we usually insert it into a weatherproof tax disc holder, this has to be visible, so we usually mount it on the bottom of the fork somewhere usually the cable guide, brake pipe guide mount, are your cards credit card size? and if so could you not send off for a couple of tax disc holders? and maybe mount them, same as we do here, onto the forks, if the tax disc holder is big enough to hold them that is?

Here's an Ebay link to some disc holders, although if you scroll down to the Oberon type, it looks just what you'd need for any paperwork, but not plastic. Hope this helps. ;)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=motorbike+tax+disc+holders+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=mototbike+tax+disc+holders&_rdc=1

Cor, how big are these things???!!! :blink:

Do they not fit in a pocket? :(

The insurance card is about half the size of a book page, same goes for the registration card. Don't know how long they would survive in my pocket or even my wallet.

I like to keep my cards (for each vehicle) in the vehicle. It's easier for me that way. Instead of forgetting to take them with me.

I just thought of something though, i could put them in a plastic bag and slide it in beside the battery (behind the side cover

EDIT :

NEV, we have something similar over here (in some of the states, not all). It's a Safety Inspection, and they apply the sticker (good for 6 months or 1 year, it varies depending on the state) to the Fork or Fender. But at the same time we're required to carry the Registration Card & Insurance Card on the bike too.

How about some sort of plastic sleeve or wallet (the type you use in a lever arch file or ring binder) fixed some how to the underside of the seat?

O.k try this one. how about inside a plastic sleive, then inserted somewhere under the foam padding inside your helmet? I presume you have to take your helmet off, whenever pc plod stops you, and can't be that often either. ;)

In my opinion, leaving important documents like that,with the bike, you are asking for trouble, god forbid, somebody stole your bike. just a thought.

My jacket has a removable padded panel in the back, with a velcroed access slit. If yours is the same, I'd suggest keeping it in there. Use the plastic sleeve as well.

O.k try this one. how about inside a plastic sleive, then inserted somewhere under the foam padding inside your helmet? I presume you have to take your helmet off, whenever pc plod stops you, and can't be that often either. ;)

In my opinion, leaving important documents like that,with the bike, you are asking for trouble, god forbid, somebody stole your bike. just a thought.

I just noticed that Oberon tube you were talking about, something like that might work pretty nicely.

Eh if someone steals my bike they aren't getting much. I tuned up a customer's car (new spark plugs, wires, etc) in trade for the bike :lol: So it's quite literally a $40 bike, And a thief wouldn't be able to do much without the Title (do you guys have Titles over there, it's a Deed to your motorized vehicle) I keep the titles for my vehicles in a Fireproof Safe at home.

Granted the thief could chop up the bike and sell it off as parts, but even if my cards weren't on it, it's still a possibility. Fortunately i live in a small town where Auto/Bike Theft is nonexistent.

Ttaskmaster, my jacket doesn't have any snazzy features like that. Just a couple tiny pockets on the outside big enough for some money and maybe the motorcycle key.

our title is refered to as a log book,

over here ?(britain) everything ie insurance tax mot is all kept on police data,

so it's just a case of supplying the plod with a name to match it all , hence no need to carry important documentaition around with us.

and refering to the jacket issue could you not ask mummy or uncle tom to simply sew you a large enought pocket into the back of your riding jacket.

What about a little pouch like you see on the rear mudguard of an enduro bike?

Mudguard = fender in US language.

What about a little pouch like you see on the rear mudguard of an enduro bike?

That's where I carry mine ;)

can you not scan it in a pen drive and carry that around or take a picture of it on your phone?

can you not scan it in a pen drive and carry that around or take a picture of it on your phone?

You do realise Drewpy, OG is sat there open mouthed and head scratching now :blink:

Yes I have pen drives, remote hard drive and a scanner where do you think I get my pictures from :P

Dusted, isnt theere a tool compartment just behind your battery?

Alternatively why not place the docs in an A4 size polythene sleeve and fold / tape it to the inside of a sidepanel

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online