'78 Suzuki TS250C project

DirtyDT
This post is 3405 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's in better condition than mine :lol:

I did look at this yesterday as this ER model has the same forks as mine, although mine is pre-ER (or should that be Intensive care :lol: ). It does say 95% complete so just missing the other 5% like the exhaust, clocks, lights, side panels and the rest of the stuff that is probably missing!!!!

Now now you two.................

I tried the belt method. No go. I put the fork back into the yolk, positioned lower down the fork so that the cap was not pinching the cap. It holds fine so I strapped it to the bike stand to stop it moving but I still can not get the cap to turn.

Another thing to try for ya,,,although i thaught the belt trik would work.

Fork into yoke about 3 inches from top and tighten,,,,,,boil the kettle,,,,,,soak a rag in the boiled water,,,,,wrap it round the fork on the 3 inches,,,,,let it warm up the fork for a min then try open the cap

Worth a shot !

Cheers Pat, a top tip I think. I did think of heat, although a flame, fork oil and chrome legs should be a no, no. A hot kettle is a good idea. The only problem is that each time it boils, I make a cuppa :lol: I am leaving the bike for today as I will wait for my purchases to turn up but I will give it the kettle later on and some Plusgas. If I do a few day's worth it may just be enough. I have been off work this week so not used the SV so I have just put that on the Optimate and I need to oil and adjust the chain for the run to Lincoln fest next week so I will be doing this next Saturday. There are other parts I could be getting on with but until the engine tools turn up I will concentrate on the forks and swingarm bolt.

Cheers Pat, a top tip I think. I did think of heat, although a flame, fork oil and chrome legs should be a no, no. A hot kettle is a good idea. The only problem is that each time it boils, I make a cuppa :lol: I am leaving the bike for today as I will wait for my purchases to turn up but I will give it the kettle later on and some Plusgas. If I do a few day's worth it may just be enough. I have been off work this week so not used the SV so I have just put that on the Optimate and I need to oil and adjust the chain for the run to Lincoln fest next week so I will be doing this next Saturday. There are other parts I could be getting on with but until the engine tools turn up I will concentrate on the forks and swingarm bolt.

If you try Two Wheels way and get no joy, whilst it's still clamped up get a tea towel or similar loop it around the area you want the heat getting to, and pull backwards and forwards as if polishing it but give it some welly mind, you're giving it "chinese burns" so to speak. ;)

If you try Two Wheels way and get no joy, whilst it's still clamped up get a tea towel or similar loop it around the area you want the heat getting to, and pull backwards and forwards as if polishing it but give it some welly mind, you're giving it "chinese burns" so to speak. ;)

It sounds very "boy scoutish" :lol: . I'm more used to up and down ;)

Well the good news is that several tools arrived this week. The 600mm breaker bar is the dogs. Sealey professional range and is very substantial. Recommended LINKY

I also got a rotor puller and a holding tool :D

However, even with the boiling water and Plusgas regime over the week, the cap still will not budge. I have now knackered the cap so I may have to drill it in several places, to break the caps integrity, and then get it off. They are now unobtainable, but hay ho.

No time at the moment to do much on this as work has kept me busy.

Well the good news is that several tools arrived this week. The 600mm breaker bar is the dogs. Sealey professional range and is very substantial. Recommended LINKY

I also got a rotor puller and a holding tool :D

However, even with the boiling water and Plusgas regime over the week, the cap still will not budge. I have now knackered the cap so I may have to drill it in several places, to break the caps integrity, and then get it off. They are now unobtainable, but hay ho.

No time at the moment to do much on this as work has kept me busy.

Boiling water, huh, thats not hot. Get a heat gun on it that will get it hot then it will come out. Not failed yet on my DT. Keep going till the WD smokes just heating the tube not the cap then its hot enough

I have now knackered the cap so I may have to drill it in several places, to break the caps integrity, and then get it off. They are now unobtainable, but hay ho.

DT, if you're gunna have to bugger up the cap, and replacements are unobtainable, can you not get in touch with fellow forum member Wayno, any millwright worth his salt, should be able to knock up a couple of those end caps in an hour or so. ;)

Cycnic/OG - when you say heat, are you saying paint stripper heat or blow torch heat?

Nev - I should be able to get someone at work to turn me a couple.

I am waiting for a guy who has a set of forks to contact me so lets hope that becomes an option too. Just minor hiccups. Funny how some things are seized on and some were covered in copperite

Cycnic/OG - when you say heat, are you saying paint stripper heat or blow torch heat?

Electric hot air gun to start with, if thats not enough careful use of a gas torch perhaps? of course either may damage the o ring within but if needs be...

mmmmm, think a gas torch would be too fierce a heat Paul,

ok, another bonkers idea to try

send the missus out for the day with the credit card (she'll be out for ages)

fill an old chip pan with oil-put it on the barbie til its hot, cooking oil will reach about 300°C and will give a nice uniform heat, transfer to the bondage device in the vice, spray the cap with your freeze spray - et viola

film these events for you-tube-it could be a classic ! :lol:

I love the teamwork on this forum

Ttasky will be along shortly with his 'Thermitetm' recipe :lol:

mmmmm, think a gas torch would be too fierce a heat Paul,

ok, another bonkers idea to try

send the missus out for the day with the credit card (she'll be out for ages)

fill an old chip pan with oil-put it on the barbie til its hot, cooking oil will reach about 300°C and will give a nice uniform heat, transfer to the bondage device in the vice, spray the cap with your freeze spray - et viola

film these events for you-tube-it could be a classic ! :lol:

You certainly lived up to your nickname with that one BWJ!. You Scots will deep fry anything :lol:

I can get a set of forks from the states for £82 including postage but plus the import duty and they are the ones with the better type tops. Rather that than walk around the house with a full, hot chip pan. I don't have a chip pan anyway, would a slow cooker do?

I had an email yesterday from the guy I brought my spare engine from who said he would contact me about other bits he had. He sent me some pictures and a few bits were too far gone to consider. I have however said that I would have the following from him (all in need of some work);

Headlight brackets (That makes 2 sets)

Exhaust rear heatshield (that makes 3 I have)

Chain guide (another triple)

Cylinder head (That makes 4 including a NOS one)

Barrel with reed valve (I have 2, and although they fit, they are for the later model. This one is correct for the year)

Exhaust (quite a few patches but looks solid in the pictures so hopefully better than the one I already have and I have a plan)

Pair of forks (Bad chrome but the caps will come in handy :D and the rest for spares)

So one of all the above (forks being one pair) for £80 with an estimate of £15 for the postage.

Lets see if the deal goes through and what turns up.

I had an email yesterday from the guy I brought my spare engine from who said he would contact me about other bits he had. He sent me some pictures and a few bits were too far gone to consider. I have however said that I would have the following from him (all in need of some work);

Headlight brackets (That makes 2 sets)

Exhaust rear heatshield (that makes 3 I have)

Chain guide (another triple)

Cylinder head (That makes 4 including a NOS one)

Barrel with reed valve (I have 2, and although they fit, they are for the later model. This one is correct for the year)

Exhaust (quite a few patches but looks solid in the pictures so hopefully better than the one I already have and I have a plan)

Pair of forks (Bad chrome but the caps will come in handy :D and the rest for spares)

So one of all the above (forks being one pair) for £80 with an estimate of £15 for the postage.

Lets see if the deal goes through and what turns up.

Wow thats sounds like a realy great deal there :D by the way Picked up the Julys Motorcycle Mechs in Tescos and theres a Article re Fork rebuilds might be of interest.

All the best

Phil

Cheers Phil,

I have a Tescos Extra in the next road so I will pick one up.

I did end up buying the list I mentioned. Postage was only £10 but I am waiting for the bits to turn up :mellow:. I haven't had a chance to do much on the DT due to work and the SV needing a speedo drive. I ended up buying one from German ebay for £25 and it turned up today - I hope it is not in KPH :lol:. I also need to have the SV MOT'ed within the next few weeks and it needs it's 15,000 miles service.

Cheers Phil,

I have a Tescos Extra in the next road so I will pick one up.

I did end up buying the list I mentioned. Postage was only £10 but I am waiting for the bits to turn up :mellow:. I haven't had a chance to do much on the DT due to work and the SV needing a speedo drive. I ended up buying one from German ebay for £25 and it turned up today - I hope it is not in KPH :lol:. I also need to have the SV MOT'ed within the next few weeks and it needs it's 15,000 miles service.

DD have you noticed that stuff from Germany on Ebay is bloody dear these days, got my clocks from there a few years ago and was lucky in MPH, also a good few years ago got a bucket full of DT bits rom Germany for a very good price is it the Euro ????

Like I said every time I look at the TS pic on your page takes me back to 1978 :lol: