Fallen in love

This post is 4766 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya. Here's the back story. I'm 61 years young. As a 60th birthday present to myself I decided to learn how to ride a motorbike. Best decision I've made in a while.

I passed my test on a Kawasaki 500 cc back home in Wales last summer, and since then I've fallen head over heels in love with a Yamaha Dragstar Classic 650 cc. Can't keep my eyes off her. The wife's getting worried. Meanwhile, having taken the compulsory 2B motorbike test out here in Singapore, I now ride a Daelim Daystar 150cc to work every day and so, slowly but surely, my riding skills are improving.

So, here's the 64,000 dollar question before I go and make a complete fool of myself: should a man of my age, who's short in the leg and not exactly Mr Universe, even look at - let alone fall in love with - a cruiser whose dry weight is a damn sight more than any 150 cc tiddler? Or is it true that it's really down to a good sense of balance, plus confidence gained through practice, and not brute strength when it comes to handling a mid-sized motorbike?

Your honest answers would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to be crushed to death in the car park before I actually get to ride off into the sunset of my life.

Thanks a lot.

Em

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hiya. Here's the back story. I'm 61 years young. As a 60th birthday present to myself I decided to learn how to ride a motorbike. Best decision I've made in a while.

I passed my test on a Kawasaki 500 cc back home in Wales last summer, and since then I've fallen head over heels in love with a Yamaha Dragstar Classic 650 cc. Can't keep my eyes off her. The wife's getting worried. Meanwhile, having taken the compulsory 2B motorbike test out here in Singapore, I now ride a Daelim Daystar 150cc to work every day and so, slowly but surely, my riding skills are improving.

So, here's the 64,000 dollar question before I go and make a complete fool of myself: should a man of my age, who's short in the leg and not exactly Mr Universe, even look at - let alone fall in love with - a cruiser whose dry weight is a damn sight more than any 150 cc tiddler? Or is it true that it's really down to a good sense of balance, plus confidence gained through practice, and not brute strength when it comes to handling a mid-sized motorbike?

Your honest answers would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to be crushed to death in the car park before I actually get to ride off into the sunset of my life.

Thanks a lot.

Em

Hey, I'm 5ft 6" in old money, 10 and a half stone weakling, 59 years old, hadnt ridden a bike for 38 yeras, bought a dragstar 125 2 years ago, passed direct access, now got a virago 750. I love it, wind in my face, the thrill, the independence. Confidence and experience, common sense, anticipation, not physical strength, are what matter. JUMP IN :D:D:D

eat do-nuts and get your weight up :lol:

Keep the thing balanced and you'll be ok

:welcome: to the YOC

Yep, off ya go and treat yourself

Dragster is fairly low to the ground

You will get used to the weight very quickly and then you wont evern notice it

Just have your wits about ya when out and about riding

Welcome to the YOC B)

650 Dragstar?

Get the Custom - It looks better (but I might be a little biassed on that)!

Seriously, though - I'd wholeheartedly recommend this bike.