Hello.

Erik650
This post is 4861 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Yamaha loving people out here.

Let me introduce myself first :

I'm Dutch living in Friesland (up North), named Erik.

English isn't my native language, so please accept my excuses upfront for any mishaps in that department.

I ride a KTM SMT 990 myself and my best bud's Yamaha XVS 650 ('99-er)has broken down.

He has been quoted some 1500-2000 euro's ( most of it labourhour-rate I reckon) by his dealer after hearing the following diagnosis :

"The bearing of the 5th gear is worn, and the clutch plate/plates are on the brink of failure".

Now I wasn't there with him at the time, but given the bikes present resale value and his financial situation he didn't let them repair the bike.

To add some info : he's is as far from mechanically inclined as the Middle East is from peace and quiet, so he asked me if maybe I could try something...

I know nothing about the Yamaha XVS 650, but have succesfully (for a noob that is) done a 'top end' repair/replacement-job on one of my previous bikes, a HD Sportster, winter 2008.

I took it slow, documenting every step while taking pics in the progress. Took me quite some time and wouldn't have made it without the help of far more experiencedfellow enthousiasts on a forum.

That's what I would wish and hope for out here, from far more experienced people, willing to share their knowledge.

So far I've got my hands on a XVS 650 AK © zillion paged 8-chaperts thick service manual.Am browsing through it.

I've got a small garage heated by a petroleum stove like little burner and he's bringing the bike to me sometime next week.

I'm trying to help my best bud out and it'll probably be a steep learning curve I hope.

If you don't mind, I already have a few questions regarding the worn(?)5th gear bearing:

- Anybody outhere who has done what needs to be done when one needs to replace a 5th gear (or any other one I suppose) bearing ?

- What parts (preff with part#'s) do I need to get ?

- What's the typical path/procedure to follow ?

Is it likely that other gear bearings are under par also (Is it needed to replace them all while I have it all worked open ?)

Regarding the Clutch plate(s) :

- Same q's as above except the last one...

Hoping some of you can and are willing to help this Yamaha newbie out :-)

Thanks upfront !

Erik.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi erik and welcome to the forum :D

as to your question i cant help you but im sure someone will get back to you

try this website they might have some of the parts you need My link

as to the bearing ....its going to be a big job so just take your time and follow the manual.

good luck :D

Hello Yamaha loving people out here.

Let me introduce myself first :

I'm Dutch living in Friesland (up North), named Erik.

English isn't my native language, so please accept my excuses upfront for any mishaps in that department.

I ride a KTM SMT 990 myself and my best bud's Yamaha XVS 650 ('99-er)has broken down.

He has been quoted some 1500-2000 euro's ( most of it labourhour-rate I reckon) by his dealer after hearing the following diagnosis :

"The bearing of the 5th gear is worn, and the clutch plate/plates are on the brink of failure".

Now I wasn't there with him at the time, but given the bikes present resale value and his financial situation he didn't let them repair the bike.

To add some info : he's is as far from mechanically inclined as the Middle East is from peace and quiet, so he asked me if maybe I could try something...

I know nothing about the Yamaha XVS 650, but have succesfully (for a noob that is) done a 'top end' repair/replacement-job on one of my previous bikes, a HD Sportster, winter 2008.

I took it slow, documenting every step while taking pics in the progress. Took me quite some time and wouldn't have made it without the help of far more experiencedfellow enthousiasts on a forum.

That's what I would wish and hope for out here, from far more experienced people, willing to share their knowledge.

So far I've got my hands on a XVS 650 AK © zillion paged 8-chaperts thick service manual.Am browsing through it.

I've got a small garage heated by a petroleum stove like little burner and he's bringing the bike to me sometime next week.

I'm trying to help my best bud out and it'll probably be a steep learning curve I hope.

If you don't mind, I already have a few questions regarding the worn(?)5th gear bearing:

- Anybody outhere who has done what needs to be done when one needs to replace a 5th gear (or any other one I suppose) bearing ?

- What parts (preff with part#'s) do I need to get ?

- What's the typical path/procedure to follow ?

Is it likely that other gear bearings are under par also (Is it needed to replace them all while I have it all worked open ?)

Regarding the Clutch plate(s) :

- Same q's as above except the last one...

Hoping some of you can and are willing to help this Yamaha newbie out :-)

Thanks upfront !

Erik.

Welcome Erik.

I don't see much wrong with your command of the English language, puts many of us to shame!

I reckon if you do it like you did the Sportster, take your time and record, you've a good chance.

How much confidence do you have in the diagnosis?

If it was me, I wouldn't buy any parts until I'd got it stripped down, then you can assess all of what you need and be certain that you haven't bought parts that you don't need

hi erik and welcome to the forum :D

as to your question i cant help you but im sure someone will get back to you

try this website they might have some of the parts you need My link

as to the bearing ....its going to be a big job so just take your time and follow the manual.

good luck :D

Thanks Paul, I added that partslink to my favorites, so to say.

Welcome Erik.

I don't see much wrong with your command of the English language, puts many of us to shame!

I reckon if you do it like you did the Sportster, take your time and record, you've a good chance.

How much confidence do you have in the diagnosis?

If it was me, I wouldn't buy any parts until I'd got it stripped down, then you can assess all of what you need and be certain that you haven't bought parts that you don't need

Thanks for the compliment and also for the good advice regarding buying parts.

I'm reasonbly confident in the diagnosis because the garage/shop in question has a fairly good reputation among bikers.

Having said that I do think the quoted price is steep to say the least : I reckon a set of clutch plates will be somewhere in the 70 euro-range. Bearings, bearing grease, gasket, clutch oil and a few other items won't brake te bank also I suppose.

I know labour hour rates are not for free, but it would seem they calculated some 20+ hours of work by a qualified,trained and experienced mechanic.

I know for sure I'll probably take even longer then that, but it feels like they estimated to many hours....

I do trust the diagnosis,but I won't be sure untill I've seen it myself.I trust myself even more :-)

I'll make sure to open her up first to see what's needed,and hope I ain't opening a can of worms.......

Sorry I cant help with the technical details but these people www.wemoto.com are listing the following

EBC Clutch Friction Plate Set : £53.91

EBC Heavy Duty Clutch Spring Set : £ 8.58

My guess for the cost would be the likelyhood that once the bike is in bits there will be more than the 5th gear issue. My feeling is that they have priced for a new cluster as if 5th has gone through milage (can't see it being 5th gear power wheelies) the rest of the cogs will also have worn, also the main and layshaft bearings, they will also be using factory parts.

If the dealer has a rep for solid reliable work then i would guess they are pricing for worst case so when your friend gets his bike back he will have no other problems. Not that it helps him.

What is the milage of the bike, if it is high i would keep in mind maybe a recon gearbox cluster or one from a low mileage bike at a breakers maybe an idea.

Can't say i'd know the insides of a Drag if they hit me on the head but the principles of a yammy gearbox follow across all the bikes (yamaha stick with stuff that works) and it would be my feeling its a lot of work to half fix the bike so your friend may still have a stiff bill. Nowhere near 2000euro's but don't be surprised a at a couple of hundred at least.

I have helped rebuild friends engines and you will hear 'do we really have to' an annoying amount. As they are spending to have it working rather than snazz the bike up. When your finished he will have what he had before with no real bonus apart from it working.

Got a bit carried away there, good luck with it anyhow.