Hey new to bikes

1988rocco
This post is 4892 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey just though i'd start by introducing myself. Im phil and have just brought myself a black dragstar 125 :D

Shame about the weather so maybe a while before i get to take it out propperly. Did managed some miles on it yesterday and love it. the only thing that lets it down is the L plates lol

I do have a couple of questions,

Does the speedometer light up at night, and if so how easy is it to replace the bulb.

Also to adjust the gear pedal do i need to remove the ball joints? and which is the best way about this?

I've been driving for 6 years so have good knowlage of how cars work, but bikes are completely new and alien to me.

Ill upload a couple of pics when i get a chance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice to have another dragstar owner on the forum!!!

Yeah the weather is crap at the moment - but the dragstar will still ride in it... just make sure you warm her up!

Are yo talking about the gear shifter? If you to the stick that links the shifter to the engine (runs parallell to the frame) there is a big long hexagon shaped thing around it. This, effectively, is a massive nut. You have to undo the nuts on each side of it,and then twist it. Watch the pedal go up and down as you twist the thingy.

I know I'm not very precise, but I hope it helps. I'll post pics if yer still stuck.

Chris

Hey just though i'd start by introducing myself. Im phil and have just brought myself a black dragstar 125 :D

Shame about the weather so maybe a while before i get to take it out propperly. Did managed some miles on it yesterday and love it. the only thing that lets it down is the L plates lol

I do have a couple of questions,

Does the speedometer light up at night, and if so how easy is it to replace the bulb.

Also to adjust the gear pedal do i need to remove the ball joints? and which is the best way about this?

I've been driving for 6 years so have good knowlage of how cars work, but bikes are completely new and alien to me.

Ill upload a couple of pics when i get a chance

The Owners Manual contains the setting dimensions for the change mechanism, do you have one?

welcome to the forum phil :D

the speedo should light up when you turn on the lights but im guessing the bulb might have gone in urs. its a bit fiddly but you undo the bolts holding the chrome surround (one at the front then 2 at the back) then unscrew the speedo cable and dis-connect the electrics, then you can take the thing off and change the bulb.

and to adjust the gear lever christofeser answered that one just follow the lever to the connecting rod and undo the nuts at each end then there should be a slot on the rod where you can put a spanner to turn it. a liberal dose of wd40 will help.

Unfortunately i dont no :( guess my best bet is to buy one second hand?

Plenty of links on here to where you can download a free one in PDF format ;)

Unfortunately i dont no :( guess my best bet is to buy one second hand?

or just pm me ur e-mail adress then i can send you one on pdf!

Also do people know where i can get a new set of handlebars from, when trying to get the mirrors to sit level i noticed that mine are out of shape on the right hand side. Will be replacing them but cant find anywhere that does replacements. Any help is much appreciated :)

I wouldn't get them from Yamaha - would cost a pretty penny...

Have a search around ebay. The style of the bars are "buckhorn" and the diameter of the bars are 7/8"

Shouldn't have to spend too much on a second hand pair... maybe £50 or less...

Chris

Or just fit any 7/8" diameter bars that you like the feel of.

Or just fit any 7/8" diameter bars that you like the feel of.

That's what I did...

But be careful you don't get ones that are too small (height wise), now my throttle sticks open and doesn't spring back to closed.

In my opinion, which is often completely incorrect, I think a set of mini-apes would look mint on the drag, but it depends what look you go for.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online