Rip off dealer

Guest prokon
This post is 2423 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello all

went to my local dealer yesterday to book my xvs950 midnight star in for it's first 600 mile service expecting

to pay £60-£70 for the service and get the book stamped to keep the two year warranty going, i nearly had a fit

when the service guy came out with £350 as i hadn't bought the bike from them.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've heard of this before. why didn't you take to the dealer you bought it from.

I bought the bike from a dealer in Essex couldn't say no to the deal,but i stay in Glasgow, bit of a trip for

a service, although at those prices it would still be cheaper.

I've heard of this before. why didnt you take to the dealer you bought it from.

or get a quote first.

you can do it yourself and write in the book what's been done!

or get a quote first.

you can do it yourself and write in the book what's been done!

I dout they would honer the warranty in the future if the dealer service isn't done.

yes but it's a free service, and the Glasgow dealer made no money from the sale :rolleyes:

Lesson learned I would say, if youre prepared to travel long distances for a bargain and all that.

I am prepared to pay but £350 for a check up and oil and filter change is way over the top,

this a 600mile service what are they going to charge when it comes time for a full service.

Yeah I must admit it does look like they 'fined' you for having the audacity to buy from elsewhere.

Can they justify the bill, is it itemised or did you just pop the card in the slot without asking?

No i walked no way i was going to pay that, i am going to give Yamaha UK a call to see what they say and see

if they have any pull with their own dealers. by the way when i bought the bike from the dealer in Essex i asked

about the first service it was them that told me it would be around £60 from another dealer.

No i walked no way i was going to pay that, i am going to give Yamaha UK a call to see what they say and see

if they have any pull with their own dealers. by the way when i bought the bike from the dealer in Essex i asked

about the first service it was them that told me it would be around £60 from another dealer.

My first service didn't cost me anything more than 50 Quid for my XJ6. I live in Glasgow and bought my bike from the dealership that serviced it. I donno how much effect this would have. You would think, its coming to christmas time, they would be looking for all the work they could get

I am prepared to pay but £350 for a check up and oil and filter change is way over the top,

this a 600mile service what are they going to charge when it comes time for a full service.

If it where me I would write to Yamaha UK, to have to pay £350 for a 1st service is just plain crazy. So what they did'nt sell the bike,they "would" have got the service work. They are Yamaha Dealers? if so surely they are bound to carry out service work at an agreed (with Yamaha) price, just like Ford or Honda.

Just my opinion.

All the best

it's a bit to late for you ,but i would have told them to put my old oil back in ,and too fuck off.

was the engine fecked and in need of a re build,

what was on the bill,

you should ask them why they charge six times as much as anyone else ,theiving barstewards.

it's a bit to late for you ,but i would have told them to put my old oil back in ,and too fuck off.

was the engine fecked and in need of a re build,

what was on the bill,

you should ask them why they charge six times as much as anyone else ,theiving barstewards.

Aye Kev,,,I agree

I dont deal with dealers cause they all a shower of theves !

Learn and do it all yourself,,i say

as a matter of point, doing a service yourself should not dishonour your warranty provided:

1) you use OEM parts.

2)you do it to the correct schedule (check-points)

3)you are a competent person.

on the OPs original point, i bought my XJ6 (now gone :-( )from devon, and phoned my local dealer about the initial 600mile service. They wanted about £120 (far better than the OPs quote- but still steep for a check-over and oil), so i thought id have a day in Devon and go down for the 'freebie' service [parts only charge].

the 6000 mile service i did myself, got hold of Yamaha's checklist and went through every point (checked it off etc). 'Stamped' the book with some watermark-style labels i made myself. I do not think yamaha UK would be able to not honour the warranty with full documentary evidence.

job was a gud-un til the bike met an untimely demise (damn renault meganes)

i am going to give Yamaha UK a call to see what they say and see

if they have any pull with their own dealers.

Not realy.

Firstly, what did you ask for? you need to be honest here, did you specify you wanted the 600 mile checkup, or did you ask for a service ?

The reason I ask, is simple, if they delivered what you asked for then I'm afraid it's tough luck, and they can keep hold of your bike until you pay the bill, after a year and a day they can sell the bike to recover the losses (sooner if they ask a court) . Oh, and they are legally entitled to charge you storage too. So best get this dealt with quickly.

Now, Yamaha haven't really got any sway with the dealer, the best you should hope for is that the parts will be FOC, so maybe a £60 reduction, leaving £290... about £246 + VAT or around 6 hours work (assuming £40 and hour). For a major service this would be acceptable I think, but Yamaha have fixed 'price' servicing (fixed in terms of time, not cost, so if it's a 2 hour service then you pay 2 x the dealers rate).

You need to ask your dealer to itemise the cost breakdown, you want to see how much per hour, how many hours and the parts used, you also want to see the part (they must be able to give you the old parts, or you don't have to pay for the new ones). Then you need to question the time element, it will be too high and ask them why (assuming it is) it took longer to check e the bike than Yamaha state it will. Also make it very clear that you asked for the 600 mile check.

Call another Yamaha dealer in your area, not too far away and ask for a quote for the 600 mile check. Go back to yuor dealer and offer to pay for some of the cost, whatever you have been quoted as full and final settlement. If the refuse ask them why, do it in writing. Tell them you are going to Trading Standards as you belive you the have conspired to defraud you.

Now go to Trading Standards with the evidence, the bill breakdown, the quote for the other dealer. Tell them you are unhappy, you belive you have been defrauded and insist that they deal with this case, also insist that they assist you in getting your bike returned. Call them every day and ask for an update.

As OG said earlier, this is a lessson to learn, especially when you go for a cheaper deal - there are reasons why companies at the other end of the country are cheaper, they don't have to worry about things like the first service, warranty work etc

Good luck and remember to be polite, always be calm and polite, state your case, be firm, calm and polite. Never loose your temper or feel compeled to use anything but firm polite language.

(did I mention being firm, calm and polite?)

Errr guys - he hasn't been ripped off yet, the £350 was a quote!

So Prokon, phone another stealer, be specific that you want a quote for the 600-mile check, tell them you bought the bike elsewhere and see what they say. Or, as others have said, get the Yamaha checklist, buy the OEM parts and do the job yourself, initial the service book and job's a good'un.

Errr guys - he hasn't been ripped off yet, the £350 was a quote!

Oh.... well never mind, go somewhere else then. Simple!

Thanks for all the input guy's, i phoned Yamaha UK today and they can do nothing the dealers can charge what they like for labor but they did agree that the price was extreme. will have to look else were for my service i will

not be using {RIDE ON MOTORCYCLES} Glasgow for anything again.

by the way where can i get the service check list from.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online