Traffic lights

Guest MaD.VeZ
This post is 5214 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Is it just me that has problems with traffic lights not changing for me while im out on my DT, usually early mornings or late at night?

It happens allot at many different junctions around my local area. Is there something I'm missing like road positioning, arm waving or some other not too obvious trick to get the damn things to change! I had to watch the sequence go through no less than 5 changes last night without letting me through :angry:

Any help appreciated

Vez

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

thats weird, i have no problem with traffic lights when im on my little DT50 :/, only thing i can think of is make sure you have pulled right up to the line and are close to the centre of your lane.

sorry i cant be more help bud :/

between certain times of the day, when its quiet, some traffic lights go into auto mode. they are triggered by headlamps, pressure sensors or the metal in car bodies via magnetic strips in the road ( its those criss cross bitumen lines on the road near traffic lights).

unfortunatly, bikes are too light and don't have enough metal to trigger the signals. I'm sure I read somewhere you are entitled, after so many mins, to ride through lights if they are faulty.

I had to do that on a right turn coz I'd been there 10 mins!! i pushed the bike across the junction

you can buy a magnet that fits under your bike to energise the sensors. give the lights a flash as well, those sensors are on top of the lights themselves

drewps

Guest MaD.VeZ

Thanks for the replies,

At least i know it isn't just me now. 

Having just done a bit of reading on the magnets it sounds like a good idea, i have a few floating about the house so ill give them a try tonight.

Also read on the same page that maybe leaning my bike over may help to trigger the sensors, ill give both a try and see which(if any) works best.

Thanks for the help.

Vez.

Is it just me that has problems with traffic lights not changing for me while im out on my DT, usually early mornings or late at night?

It happens allot at many different junctions around my local area. Is there something I'm missing like road positioning, arm waving or some other not too obvious trick to get the damn things to change! I had to watch the sequence go through no less than 5 changes last night without letting me through  :angry:

Any help appreciated

Vez

You are not alone, I go to work at 05:30 in the morning, the first set of traffic lights change instantly at my approach(roundabout), the second which is at a crossroad of which I am on the main road(A4) just do not recognise me, I have to just sit there and hope a car comes from the opposite direction, or slowly creep through hoping nothing will come from the side roads.

Even on bigger bike you get this at times.

For a long time now I've been in the habit of using the bike weight, under braking to apply maximum pressure to the first set of road sensors. You need to time your braking so that the front springs are at full compression just as you go over the bands in the roads.

I've also seen people put the sidestand down on the sensors and sit on the bike, with the weight on the band on the road.

I'm not sure about the legality of going through a Red Light under failure, but you would have to be careful not to cause any kind of incident.

I'm not sure about the legality of going through a Red Light under failure, but you would have to be careful not to cause any kind of incident.

I'm sure it's totally illegal, the annoying part is I can see the reflection of the traffic lights on the side roads alternating with each other, it's not until a car comes in the opposite direction or behind me that they change in my favour. I would have thought that the priority would be the main road. As for creeping through a red light at that time of morning I can't see a jam sandwich beeing to harsh, after all if he was there I wouldn't do it.

176 in the Highway Code

You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is showing. Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right.

If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care.

I think the 'traffic lights not working' bit refers to the lights being 'completely unlit' and out of action all together, you try explaining to a 'gendarme' that the lights were 'stuck' for a good 5 mins and you couldnt proceed, and they're gonna do this :lol::mellow:

technically you could argue that they arn't working for you!

but then there are the camras!!

Guest MaD.VeZ

Not had the opportunity to try any of the tips i have been given yet, just been lucky/unlucky in having a car pull up behind me at the 1 set of lights that give me problems. 

I wonder if there are no cameras, could you argue the fact and say the light was green when you passed through, would that not be a your word against the copper situation? my dad always told me "admit nothing", although he has had points for passing through a red light at 3am once   :lol: but that was a camera.

Vez.

B&Q sell very cheap wheelbarrows, this could be fltted to the front of the bike, with cable ties for example, then to add to the 'ferrous mass' which triggers proximity switches in the road you could add some more metal objects to the trough of the wheel-barrow, a 'bric-a-brac' shop would be a cheap place to start,a couple of trial runs would probably be required to ascertain the correct ammount of 'ballast' required !

HTH :blink:

B&Q sell very cheap wheelbarrows, this could be fltted to the front of the bike, with cable ties for example, then to add to the 'ferrous mass' which triggers proximity switches in the road you could add some more metal objects to the trough of the wheel-barrow, a 'bric-a-brac' shop would be a cheap place to start,a couple of trial runs would probably be required to ascertain the correct ammount of 'ballast' required !

HTH blink.gif

Good answer bark ! I like that idea.biggrin.gif

Me though, I dont like rules and the likes so I would just say F... the lights and carry on ohmy.gif

Good answer bark ! I like that idea.biggrin.gif

Me though, I dont like rules and the likes so I would just say F... the lights and carry on ohmy.gif

Yes that may be so, but your a crazy Irish ballaster :huh:

Yes that may be so, but your a crazy Irish ballaster huh.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online