advice on cleaning my chain

kennyr6
This post is 5382 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys i was wondering if theres any one out there who can advise me on how to clean my R6 chain, degreasing lubing etc as ive never done it before.

and also would like to offer my sympathies to the family off the guy who was killed over the weekend in the 3 bike accident here in northern ireland my thoughts are with everyone involved. the biking world is such a close knitt community and im sure you ll all agree its a stark warning to all on the dangers on our roads

with that in mind bike safe guys!

oh and thanks for any advice on the chain.

Kennyr6

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

aparently use fule and a soft tooth brush then lube it up woth chain loob then do it evory 2 rides for a cople of weeks then if it gets wet do it after the the bike has dried

i used a wire brush and de greser on it to get some hard rust off but need a new one any way

in the summer i just give it a go over with chain lube if it starts to feel dry, removing the chain completely and degreasing using an old toothbrush dipped in petrol to remove most of the stubbron sh*t before giving it a spray with chain lube and putting it back onto the bike.

Sorry to hear of the fatal accident...RIP

Spray a rag wet with WD40 to clean top bottom and side plates of chain, I use aerosol chain lube myself. WD40 isnt so dear if you buy a gallon of it look for offers at 'Busters' etc Rag and WD40 also good for wiping brake dust, crud and chain lube fling from rear wheel.

Never ever ever use petrol to clean anything, whether in your shed/garage or even outside in the fresh air, it only takes a SPARK to ignite the vapour and then you, your shed/garage and bike etc etc may die a horrible and painfull death, Like OG says WD40 is far safer, parrafin or kerosene is even better as these have a far higher 'flash-point',

stay safe :mellow:

would this lube be ok to use

47-th.jpg

Lubrice - Effective, long lasting, anti-fling lubricant which protects against corrosion and contains PTFE. Quick and easy to use, it penetrates like an oil and sets like a grease. Ideal for chains, wire ropes, bearings, hinges and lock mechanisms.

would this lube be ok to use

Make sure it's suitable for chains with O.rings as i'm sure yours will have them.

in this csae then has anyone got of there top 3 chain lubes they would consider being the best all round thanks john

I've allways used Castrol chain wax

hi guys i was wondering if theres any one out there who can advise me on how to clean my R6 chain, degreasing lubing etc as ive never done it before.

and also would like to offer my sympathies to the family off the guy who was killed over the weekend in the 3 bike accident here in northern ireland my thoughts are with everyone involved. the biking world is such a close knitt community and im sure you ll all agree its a stark warning to all on the dangers on our roads

with that in mind bike safe guys!

oh and thanks for any advice on the chain.

Kennyr6

WD40 to clean, and Castrol wax to wax, i've always done my chain every 2-3 weeks and got 27000 miles out of it on my R1.

Scottoiler, simple. Some love em some don't my last chain did 20+000 miles. I had to change it cos of the 21link measurement.

• 2 months later...

Never ever ever use petrol to clean anything, whether in your shed/garage or even outside in the fresh air, it only takes a SPARK to ignite the vapour and then you, your shed/garage and bike etc etc may die a horrible and painfull death, Like OG says WD40 is far safer, parrafin or kerosene is even better as these have a far higher 'flash-point',

stay safe :mellow:

(older post relating to chain cleaning)

Bike maintenance/PETROL/shell suits etc {could equal disaster} ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online