Insurance help guys!

mr-c
This post is 5403 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there all!

New to this forum, just passed my cbt last week, always loved bikes but conceded to the practicality of a car at 17. Im now 21 and trying to get insurance on a 2007 ybr, only second driver as my dads also using it as a runaround but no one wants to let me get on the roads for under £370 TPFT!!!!! For a bike that barely reaches 60 am i in a dream world or is that price realistic?

Any advice from you more experienced bikers on good companies that you can negotiate down or are cheep for my age/experience group would be highly appreciated!

Thanks guys

CJ

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That does look a bit steep.

My missus got Comprehensive cover on a XL125 Varadero this time last year for £118, she did have full NCB on the car and is considerably older that you at 21 years and 216 months :rolleyes:

Do you live in a postcode that is sharded with some tow-rags ?? this could be one of the things that can influence stupid prices.

I can't see why your getting quoted daft prices, it's not like the YBR is a full faired sportsbike that will cost a packet if the wind blows it over!!!

I presume you've tried the usual, Bennets, Carol Nash, Devitt (although I wouldn't touch these lot with a pooe stick, had problems in the past) etc?? Oh, Carol Nash have a new division called justbikeinsurance, they take all the extras (European cover, breakdown, leather cover) out and sell plain old bike insurance. A quick Google on Motorcycle Insurance give loads of starting points.

Things that will bring it down, but not always by much, will be 'keeping in a brick garage', 'alarm', 'security devices' pretty much the right answers to the questions - but don't be tempted to tell porkies, it'll invalidate your insurance and you could even end up with points if you're unlucky enough.

Thanks for the advice, i got £185 with the "just bike insurance" you suggested, is that sensible as a second rider with someone with 30 years riding experience?

Anyone who has got insurance around my age or with just a CBT i would be grateful to hear if you found any good deals anywhere!

Cheers guys

swinton were quite good, managed to get my DT50 insured for £200 3PF&T. (first time rider, leaving it out on the street e.t.c)

best place to go is gocompare.com

it may be because your bike is so new

that is very high

i got insured fro £250 TPFT when i was 17..

and the bike can do 85mph on a very steep hill, but it is very unstable <_<

think ure self lucky its costing me at 17 £1600 for my MT-03 until next month when i get my noclames bonus threw then it £1010 ohh and for my gilera DNA 50cc it was £400 third party fire and feft i was 16 thogh and my mum and dad were free to put on it lol

that is very high

i got insured fro £250 TPFT when i was 17..

and the bike can do 85mph on a very steep hill, but it is very unstable <_<

Can you remember which broker and insurance company that was with? At 21 with the same bike TPFT i should be able to get a similar or better deal surely!

Cheers

got myself a ybr125, had a speedfight 100 and insurance was around £180 TPFT, in a garage, etc. Got 0 years NCB, and 3 points. Am 20 years old, but have been driving cars for 2 years, so 2 years experience. when i got my ybr125, it went up by around £50ish. if i remember correctly.. Im insured with h&r insurance, and they are really good to deal with :D

found them thru gocompare.com

If you cant seem to get it low, I would also advise you to invest in a thatcham approved lock and chain, the difference in the premium, 'should' pay for the chain and lock, well that what they say. Even so, u still have an 'uber'-tough chain and lock!! I would say get an almax one, expensive, but watch the videos here:

CLICKY

Hope this helps

The YBR must be a higher risk that other 125's, very odd! Somthing like a honda ca125 rebel is nearly half the price?!? I have an Oxford Harcore chain which appears to make the same difference to the quote as the almax, thanks for the tip though!

Its odd that im a year older you uzi_999 at 21 with 4 yers NCB on a car and no points yet am still getting crap quotes! Crazy world we live in!

Cheers for your help guys, keep it coming and il keep searching!

i dont think most bike insurers really care about car NCB, unfortunately. They ask if you have it just so they can put you on their marketing list for their car insurance products.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: got it down to £173 TPFT with "Just motorbike insurance" Trying to get out of the swinton policy that my dads with to switch to this one because swinton wanted over 350 with me on there! AND check this out, they are trying to charge me to cancel this policy, above and beyond what was originally paid for the year even though its only 1 month into the policy! I am going to try and find a way around this tomorrow as i think that's just insane.

Swinton are the biggest bunch of robbing buggers i have ever dealt with, i shall never be using them again that for sure! :angry:

Others looking for insurance beware!!

• 2 months later...

i use swinton and never had any problems... so far...

I am also with swinton, they were the cheapest for me. my usual broker asked a stupid price, saved over £50 with swinton, plus gave me vouchers for my car insurance to save £40.

im 32, just ;) first time bike insurance, ybr125. fully comp. had car insurance 6 yrs ncb, but wont affect this.

garaged bike, chained and bolted to floor over night. did u mention chained etc, as this helps insurance. price i pay is £213