Puncture Safe

Diver58
This post is 4857 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Such things have been know to, yes.

Some swer by them, all the Ultraseal stuff and so on.

The idea is that if you get a puncture, this stuff seals it before it blows and allows you to carry on.

There are stories of people who've thus been completely unaware of a puncture and continued on what is effectively a busted tyre. I'll let your imagination fill in the rest.

Personally, I prefer to know when there's a problem.

Has anyone got any experience of using the Puncture Safe 'Puncture Preventative and Tyre Life Extender' product? I have heard that it is good, but can cause a bit of instability at speed.

Yep, been using it for the last 5 years, I have heard some say that it does cause problems, but not had any myself.

"There are stories of people who've thus been completely unaware of a puncture and continued on what is effectively a busted tyre. I'll let your imagination fill in the rest. "

Yes heard of that as well, ,but if the tyre is that badly damaged then it would go down even with ultraseal in it, but hopefully in a more controled fashion, as opposed to a sudden,,,,,,, Oooooo shit me tyres gone pop !!!!!!!!!!!

It is allways good practice to check your tyres after every journey anyway, with or without Ultraseal.

Personally, I prefer to know when there's a problem.-----------------------------------------------------------------

YIP ME TOO" i carry a can o" that Tyre-fix in me ruck sack .." tubes in my tyres " . i kno it make a mess of rims in tubless.

Gets u home tho ;)

Has anyone got any experience of using the Puncture Safe 'Puncture Preventative and Tyre Life Extender' product? I have heard that it is good, but can cause a bit of instability at speed.

Yes I have used it in my bike it hasn't caused any vibration or handling problems.

I have had a puncture in the front wheel last November and it fix it and it has stayed fixed with no air loss. Before I installed it I did alot of research into tyre sealants and this is the most advanced available.

Previously I had used Ultraseal and this was not very good but I think that great advances have been made by Puncturesafe and there product really does work.

It can even be used at speeds up to 150mph (not that I ever do that)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Previously I had used Ultraseal and this was not very good but I think that great advances have been made by Puncturesafe and there product really does work.

It can even be used at speeds up to 150mph (not that I ever do that)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same company,,,,,,,, they changed there name last year. same bottle, same box,same instructions.

• 1 year later...

Hello, this thread came up in a Google search I did, so I thought I'd join up and answer for some questions and comments.

I'm a Puncturesafe franchise holder (and do have a Fazer in the garage, so have a legitimate reason for joining as well) and am happy answer any questions you might have. I'm not here to push for sales BTW, just offering advice.

Puncturesafe and Ultraseal are not the same company. Puncturesafe used to be the UK distributor for Ultraseal, but had a falling out over the recipe a few years ago. Puncturesafe have gone on independently to improve the original Ultraseal mix making it more stable and hard wearing, eliminating the problems Ultraseal were having. Needless to say it was not an amicable split.

They've done a LOT of R&D and this is reflected in the quality of the product... and the price. But you do get what you pay for, cheaper sealants have a nasty habit of drying out and balling up in tyres, causing the well documented balance and vibration issues.

It will prolong a tyre's life by dissipating heat evenly across the tyre's internal surfaces and transferring heat more effectively to the rim. Heat build up is a major safety issue if your tyre is under inflated for what ever reason, it's what causes delamination and blowouts. I know warm tyres are desirable on a bike, and they will still get warm, but normally the crown of a bike tyre will be quite a bit warmer than the sides making cornering on cold roads after a long straight a bit sphincter twitching sometimes, Puncturesafe will take some of the heat from the crown and transfer it to the sides of the tread giving a more even temperature over the whole treaded area.

Re: Prefering to know if there's a problem with the tyre. You should be checking your tyres for damage regularly anyway, but as soon as a tyre is punctured the sealant is pushed into the hole sealing it. It prevents air getting out, but also prevents dirt and contaminants getting in, so there is no danger of ply separation or anything like that. Put simply, the tyre is no longer punctured, it's instantly fixed, so there ISN'T a problem with the tyre to be aware of, same as if you plug it yourself only without all the faff and time wasting that it involves. It's far far safer to ride on a fully inflated tyre with sealant and a nail in it, that to ride on a semi inflated tyre with aerosol trye weld in it. It's not a bodge, it's a permanent fix as strong and reliable as a DIY bung or professional repair.

If you do see a nail in your tyre you can pull it out or leave it in, it's up to you, it'll still seal a hole up to 6mm... provided there's enough elasticity in the tyre's rubber to close up again and grip the particles in the sealant that form a clot. New tyres will seal better than old tyres because there's more rubber for the sealant to work with, so I actually prefer to leave a nail in an old tyre. Quite often if left, the head will wear away and the shaft of the nail will work it's way into the air cavity where it will rattle round harmlessly inside the tyre. The hole will still seal.

If you find a screw in your tyre, don't pull it out, unscrew it instead. This will leave a much smaller hole to seal.

Puncturesafe WILL NOT seal a 'dangerous' puncture, anything a tyre fitter wouldn't plug, any damage to the sidewall or any structural damage to the tyre will result in a 'Controlled Deflation', buying you enough time to stop and pull over safely while remaining in control of your bike. Anyone who's experienced even a mild puncture on a bike will know how quickly you can find yourself with no control over the bike what so ever. It's a proper brown trouser moment and not at all fun.

Puncturesafe CAN seal tubed tyres, but as there is always an amount of movement from a tube inside a tyre, a nail in a tyre will sometimes 'saw' through a tube as it rubs against it, in which case you'll get a slow controlled deflation.

It won't make a mess come tyre change time unless the fitter is a sloppy worker. It's thixotropic, so when your tyre is turning out on the road, the sealant becomes a liquid flowing freely around. When your bike is still, the sealant reverts to a gel and clings to every surface inside the tyre (it also seals porous aluminium/magnesium rims and inhibits corrosion in steel rims). If some does escape, it's water soluble and environmentally friendly, so is easy to mop up/hose away.

As long as your wheels are balanced correctly, the bearings are in good condition and the correct amount has been installed, you won't know it's there until you need it. Yes, I do use it myself, between the Missus and myself it's in three bikes, a car and a van at the moment, after a few years of trying different sealants out this was the one that performed the best by a long way which is why I bought the franchise when it came up. We've done track days, drag racing, European tours and commuting with it in, racking up well over a hundred thousand miles between us and we've never had any problems with it. I'd never sell anything to anyone that I wasn't happy to use myself, I don't recommend it because I sell it, I sell it because I recommend it.

If anyone has any more questions about Puncturesafe (I can't really comment on the other sealants in detail) then I'll be happy to answer them.

Bloody hell.... Pretty valid arguments there!!

My remark about knowing was concern over something going in and out, making a hole that was then plugged - I was worried I'd not know the tyre had been compromised (which it technically is from an engineering perspective, even with a perfectly good patch).

Then again, at the time I posted that, I'd not even heard of Puncturesafe and just knew of other peoples' troubles with Autoseal and similar.

I've used Ultraseal, and now use Puncturesafe.

If you've had a hole in a tyre, you'll know it from the blue stuff dried into your tyre tread.

I always tell the tyre fitter that it's in there, he has no problem.

Before Ultraseal, I tried the other green gloopy stuff, (no names) and it's crap.

One bit of advice. When you check your tyre pressure, don't have the valve at the bottom. You'll sometimes get blue sealer on your valve guage. (It washes off.)

Disclaimer. I've got nothing to do with Ultraseal, Puncturesafe, or Nooj. I've done about 50K miles with it in.

Before I got my XJR I had a sportsbike and went with 15 others to the Nurburgring a couple of years ago.

12 of us fitted Puncturesafe before we went and had a nightmare journey with wheel wobble and severe vibration, so much so that when we got back the company settled our collective claim for costs of getting it taken out and tyres cleaned. The 4 who didn't fit it had a much better trip and more fun at the ring. Most of us lost nuts and bolts, and my fairing even came undone on the autobahn!

Perhaps we were just unlucky, but all 12 of us? Oh, and the irony was that on the way back one of the bikes got a puncture and the tyre went down......?

I wouldn't want to influence anyone's decision, especially given the reseller's comments above about the benefits of fitting it which I'm sure are well meant, but needless to say my XJR now runs with what it is meant to have in the tyre - air!

it's my turn :) .

both times i have had a puncture ,it was caused by a screw.

this stuff won't work on this type of puncture according to the guy up rivi barn..

it's my turn :) .

both times i have had a puncture ,it was caused by a screw.

this stuff won't work on this type of puncture according to the guy up rivi barn..

stop shagging yer bike then Kev :rolleyes:

stop shagging yer bike then Kev :rolleyes:

A ha !! so thats why the exhaust fell off,,,,,,,,,,eh Kev :lol:

Quick question re: puncturesafe.. Can it be used on tubed tyres ???? or does it have to coat the tyre wall.

I'm a Puncturesafe franchise holder.....

Puncturesafe CAN seal tubed tyres, but as there is always an amount of movement from a tube inside a tyre, a nail in a tyre will sometimes 'saw' through a tube as it rubs against it, in which case you'll get a slow controlled deflation.

'Nuff said.