I gots me a Jawa :D

wild foamy
This post is 5554 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

just got off the phone, picking it up tomorrow, im riding over to my dads straight after i finish school (3:25) be in hungerford before 4PM, chuck the DT in the van, up to swindon for 5PM, chuck the Jawa in the van and hopefully back to newbury for 6PM and in the garage before 'er indoors catches wind of it...

will have to park the van 'round the corner and shove the Jawa straight in the garage... then its just a matter of keeping it on the down-low for a few weeks and hopeing she doesn't notice...

got a reciept so hopefully wont have to pay for a V5C, then i just need to declare it SORN and start tinkering away :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with the Jawa, looks like the start of a fun adventure!!

stay away from those plastic rocket R1 things get a Rd350 or 500 power valve plenty fast enough and 2 stroke you will never get the smell out of your head, characterless dentist drill speed engines are for people who want to arrive in the next world so fast they do not even see how they did it i reckon, if you are going 4 stroke get a single thumper

merv

The man speaks sense. A bigger 2 stroke is huge fun and worthwhile doing while you are still in the mood for tinkering. My TZR250 may not be a reverse cylinder etc but still handles superbly and goes like crap off a very shiny shovel and it has that lovely sound and the smell of castrol TTS being burnt :D

just got off the phone, picking it up tomorrow, im riding over to my dads straight after i finish school (3:25) be in hungerford before 4PM, chuck the DT in the van, up to swindon for 5PM, chuck the Jawa in the van and hopefully back to newbury for 6PM and in the garage before 'er indoors catches wind of it...

will have to park the van 'round the corner and shove the Jawa straight in the garage... then its just a matter of keeping it on the down-low for a few weeks and hopeing she doesn't notice...

got a reciept so hopefully wont have to pay for a V5C, then i just need to declare it SORN and start tinkering away :)

chuck a load of dust on it and say its been there ages

back to newbury for 6PM and in the garage before 'er indoors catches wind of it...

then its just a matter of keeping it on the down-low for a few weeks and hopeing she doesn't notice...

Oh man, youre kidding...Mumsy will be on to it straight away....WATCH THIS SPACE!!!.... ;)

just went and picked it up, the guy did find the V5C in the end so i dont have to fill out all the forms and pay the £25 to get a new one.

2 previous owners, 13k on the clock, two flat tyres but otherwise okay. one neat feature is the "Oilbath" chain guard system, its basically like the whole chain and sprocket system is covered by a plastic guards to keep all the sh*t out.

had to park the van around the corner and make a mad dash for the garage, but all in all it was a success...

so tomorrow i will work on getting it running, send off the V5C, get a new set of tyres on order, change all the various oils and fluids and get it moved down to my mates house before 'er indoors realises i've bought another one.

im quite chuffed with my new peashooter, can't wait to get it running :D

just went outside to tinker with it...

drained the tank and put a little bit of fresh pre-mix petroil in, but alas it wont go :(

from what i can tell its getting fuel, there is loads and loads of compression (my leg does hurt a lot now) and despite me kicking it as hard as i can and running up and down the street with it, it just wont run :(

couldn't really check the spark as i can't kickstart it and look underneath at the plug at the same time,

will have to take it to my dads in the week and maybe give it a really good bumpstart towing it behind the car, other than that it's okay, maybe a respray in order and tidy up the header pipes a bit, but otherwise its a nice little bike

just went outside to tinker with it...

drained the tank and put a little bit of fresh pre-mix petroil in, but alas it wont go :(

from what i can tell its getting fuel, there is loads and loads of compression (my leg does hurt a lot now) and despite me kicking it as hard as i can and running up and down the street with it, it just wont run :(

couldn't really check the spark as i can't kickstart it and look underneath at the plug at the same time,

will have to take it to my dads in the week and maybe give it a really good bumpstart towing it behind the car, other than that it's okay, maybe a respray in order and tidy up the header pipes a bit, but otherwise its a nice little bike

Dont try towing it Steve its a dangerous practice and likely to end in tears. Check for spark, ask you mum to look for the spark with you when she discovers your little secret :lol:

shes likely to stick a plug in each of my ears and crank the b*gger round with that big ol' foot of hers... :unsure:

The painter is coming round tomorrow to paint the living room, and for some reason needs to use the garage

Sounds like you might have an ignition issue :unsure: ......

Might as well throw a new plug in there & maybe position the plug on the head so you can read it easier whilst kicking the little beast over.

Post up some pics of it when ya get the chance. ;)

will drag it out on monday when 'er indoors is at work and see what i can do with it. really need to give it a very good clean so i can see what im doing

did manage to pump up the tyres and free up the back brake whilst i was out there tonight though, so im getting somewere

its the first bike ive owned that has a centre stand... and its surprisingly heavy

i have the compulsive urge to put a dixie horn, heated grips and some other crap on it and go touring around europe!

will drag it out on monday when 'er indoors is at work and see what i can do with it. really need to give it a very good clean so i can see what im doing

did manage to pump up the tyres and free up the back brake whilst i was out there tonight though, so im getting somewere

its the first bike ive owned that has a centre stand... and its surprisingly heavy

i have the compulsive urge to put a dixie horn, heated grips and some other crap on it and go touring around europe!

Oh dear :o just had a new member join called Mrs Foamy!! your in the shit now boy.....!!

couldn't really check the spark as i can't kickstart it and look underneath at the plug at the same time,---------------------

[/quote ] Stevey mate " take out both plugs ,[ no compression] then u b able to crank it over with your hand[ heard ur good at that :lol: ] while squating to see spark . -- cant wait to see the old dinosuar fired :D

couldn't really check the spark as i can't kickstart it and look underneath at the plug at the same time,---------------------

[/quote ] Stevey mate " take out both plugs ,[ no compression] then u b able to turn over with your hand[ heard ur good at that :lol: ] while squating to see spark . -- cant wait to see the old dinasuar fired :D

thats a good idea, film it and post it on youtube for us

my secret has been rumbled... she went into the garage to get something whilst i was at work and saw the bike in there under the cover, she was surprisingly calm and just said "by the way, i've seen the new bike in the garage..."... which is probably a lot worse than if she had bollocked me outright...

Tested for spark and there is none visible from either spark plug, resistance is about 12k on both HT leads with killswitch on and infinite with killswitch off.

tried putting the plug from my DT50 in there and even that won't spark, so looks like ive got me an ignition fault.

whilst i was in the garage i stripped the panels off and had a good look, fair amount of rust on most of the nuts and bolts so i think i will put all new bolts on it when i re-assemble it. the battery looks pretty much shot as its all sulphated inside, so i may aswell get a new one of those tomorrow when i got to pick up my new DT battery from probike.

most of the wiring is in tact and in pretty good condition, except the rear left indicator which isn't connected but that shouldn't take long to hook up. even found a bottle of castrol 75w gear oil under the seat :P

all in all i'm rather happy with my new peashooter... :)

my secret has been rumbled... she went into the garage to get something whilst i was at work and saw the bike in there under the cover

See :lol: I'm glad she didnt bollock you though! ;)

With a shot battery it will only spark if its a magneto ignition system. so is it? If you dont know the answer to this, disconnect the bad battery and jumper to a spare car battery if you have one., be careful with polarity when working like this.

i would have prefered a bollocking... usually if she is all quiet it means she is planning something big and there is going to be trouble later...

dont think it is a mag ignition, though im not 100% sure how to tell...

theres a weird little black box thing wired onto the alternator and into the rest of the loom and a lot of other electrical bits behind one fo the side panels, so far ive identified the regulator/rectifier unit, a relay/contacts for something and a couple of other gizmos i havent had a good look at yet

with all thoses rusty screws and bolts, you NEED to get an impact driver or you will be drilling out screws and shearing bolts!!

give everything a spray with wd40 and leave it for a while.

the only two that were badly rusted on were the ones under the rear wheel that hold the mudguard onto the fairing.

how can i tell if tis magneto ignition or not?... theres a pretty chunky alternator on the right-hand side of it by the looks of things... that count for anything?

the only two that were badly rusted on were the ones under the rear wheel that hold the mudguard onto the fairing.

how can i tell if tis magneto ignition or not?... theres a pretty chunky alternator on the right-hand side of it by the looks of things... that count for anything?

F*ck! thought i'd answered this once!!

Magneto systems are usually found on single cylinder bikes like your little DT, The majority of bikes are battery / electronic systems.

A bike with a magneto system will have just one coloured LT wire into the coil, a battery ignition sytem will have two coloured LT wires into the coil. ;)