dvlc lost my records

oldtimer
This post is 5671 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well we have all heard of this goverment losing records three months ago i was stopped for a spot check the policeman went back to his car to check my documents as it was a spot check i had no worries until he came back to me an told me i had no motorcycle entitlment on my licence, i started laughing and said something like bollocks that i passed my test in 1969 but he was not laughing but to my amazement said he would give me a caution but if i was pulled again i would get booked and to contact dvlc which i did only to be told that they had no record of me having pased my test, as i had been in the army when i passed it was in my discharge book with the date and place of test but they were not bothered about that unless i could produce an old licence showing my entitelment there was nothing they could do that i would have to re take my test which meant cbt, theory test and practical test, well all completed but now a few bob lighter thanks to the dvlc passed today but the moral of the story is if you change address or for any other reason have to get a new licence keep your old one and then you have proof , so for the last few years i have been riding about with no bike licence why did i bother to get a photo licence and not keep my old paper one, before anyone says it yes i should have checked it when it came back i will do this time in case my car licence is missing not that i ever drive one as bikes are my thing

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Photocopy any license etc you post off it is not illegal to do so as it is your license, DVLA are public servants who are too useless and lazy to look into anything like this, If you ran a business like the government and public services of this country it would not last 5 days, can you imagine the laughing stock of a board meeting if it was like the houses of parliament it would be a short lives company

merv

that really sucks mate, lucky the officer let you of

bet he knew or had herd of the problems before

Photocopy any license etc you post off it is not illegal to do so as it is your license, DVLA are public servants who are too useless and lazy to look into anything like this, If you ran a business like the government and public services of this country it would not last 5 days, can you imagine the laughing stock of a board meeting if it was like the houses of parliament it would be a short lives company

merv

Merv, the dvla won't even look at photocopies. best (and illegal) advice is to "lose" your licence and apply for a new one. then if it's wrong you can " find" your old one!!

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, the DVLA reckoned that I had never held a licence despite the fact that I was working driving 7.5 tonne trucks at the time. Luckily I had kept photo copies of the pass cert's, well all but one! Yep , I couldn't find the bike pass cert so I had to resit the 'NEW' tests. To add insult to injury, I got accused of being a serial test taker because I got such a high score in the theory test until I explained that I drove lorries.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, the DVLA reckoned that I had never held a licence despite the fact that I was working driving 7.5 tonne trucks at the time. Luckily I had kept photo copies of the pass cert's, well all but one! Yep , I couldn't find the bike pass cert so I had to resit the 'NEW' tests. To add insult to injury, I got accused of being a serial test taker because I got such a high score in the theory test until I explained that I drove lorries.

hi dan, yes it seems we have had the same experience i also flew through my theory test and my cbt was a joke the three instructors ended up asking me questions when after the first five minutes it became clear i knew what i was doing so they spent most of the time with the other students, it was still annoying having to pay all that money when in my army discharge book was my lorry class one , car and motorcycle pass dates and locations, countries served in etc when i took my test the other day the examiner said he could sympathise as he saw a lot of guys it had happened to what a bunch of wankers

why did you not just contact your insurance company, they would have copies of your llicence from when you 1st passed your test...would've saved a lot of money and unneccesary hassle :huh:

why did you not just contact your insurance company, they would have copies of your llicence from when you 1st passed your test...would've saved a lot of money and unneccesary hassle :huh:

dont quite understand that, first i passed my test in 1969 and was in the army so my insurance company then would have been her majesty,s goverment since then no insurance company in the last 39yrs has ever asked to see my licence i think if i would have had an accident or made a claim they might have wanted to see it but never the less the dvlc would not accept third party evidence even from the ministry of defence who hold all my driving records if you read the other posts of people on here that it has happened to you will see the same story

i spoke to a copper before i sent my license off for a change of address, he said photocopy ur license and then he signed it for me with the date and his number. gave me peace of mind, though to be fair i didnt have a problem.

the dvla are an utter disgrace, and their attitude to loss of entitlement is disgusting

dont quite understand that, first i passed my test in 1969 and was in the army so my insurance company then would have been her majesty,s goverment since then no insurance company in the last 39yrs has ever asked to see my licence i think if i would have had an accident or made a claim they might have wanted to see it but never the less the dvlc would not accept third party evidence even from the ministry of defence who hold all my driving records if you read the other posts of people on here that it has happened to you will see the same story

Never once have I NOT had to produce my licence for ANY insurance, every firm I have used have insisted on seeing my documents before offering insurance. I know of people who have been in similar situations to yourself and have used their insurance company's copies of their own driving licence to convince the DVLA of their entitlement.

Never once have I NOT had to produce my licence for ANY insurance, every firm I have used have insisted on seeing my documents before offering insurance. I know of people who have been in similar situations to yourself and have used their insurance company's copies of their own driving licence to convince the DVLA of their entitlement.

Well thats news to me. I have NEVER had to show my licence to any insurance company, whtehr it be insurance for my bikes or my car, and neither has anyone else that i know.

I also have a PSV licence and ive never even been asked to show that to any insurance company when i have worked for a bus company, so i dunno whats going on with your insurance company Beez, but summat is definitely wrong - i would be asking questions to be honest, as its NOT a requriement of the law to do so.

well beezneez before i decided to replie to your post i put my brain in gear and checked with my own and four of the major leading insurers as well as the association of british motor insurers ,firstly as most insurance is taken out over the phone or internet it is not possible to check peoples licences this is all covered in the terms and conditions of your policy it is not possible to see your licence over the phone or internet so on your application for insurance they cover themselves with the clause false information and your insurance becomes nul and void if you have not got the licence you claim or have an invalid licence ,the only time an insurance company might ask to see your licence is in the case of epilepsy or other serious medical conditions but even then a doctors note would be more likely, as for keeping records of licences the answer was at no time have they kept copies any information they would obtain from dvlc in the case of a claim and that dvlc would only confirm licence status, that under the data protection act they are limited to what information they can hold, so my answer is if somebody other than you is holding a copy or information off your licence other than the dvlc then request it is deleted

The only way I got my car licence (with all the other entitlements, minibus ,7.5tonne etc) back was to provide the test pass certificate numbers & dates of tests. Because I couldn't find the copy of the m/c test cert (so couldn't supply the number) the DVLA refused to give back that licence. Despite letters from previous employers stating previous employment & providing photo copies of my licence, one of which was a government agency providing couriers for blood runs & organ transfers.

The only time I've ever had to supply copies of my licence for insurance is when changing employers, so they can give me permission to drive their vehicles.