Rain Ride

Moxxberg
This post is 5937 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ya know i read somewhere that "If you dont ride in the raind, you dont ride" ... I had my first wet ride tonight comming home from work and it was scary as fuck ... haha i didnt take it outta first roflmao !! BUT i made it all in one piece with no close calls no slips nuffin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ya know i read somewhere that "If you dont ride in the raind, you dont ride" ... I had my first wet ride tonight comming home from work and it was scary as fuck ... haha i didnt take it outta first roflmao !! BUT i made it all in one piece with no close calls no slips nuffin

i had my first one the other day.... my only issue was that i wasnt wearing the bottom half of my gear, so i was pretty uncomfortable and cold with just slacks on.

im also running on some ancient tires that need to be replaced, so it was a bit sketchy, though i actually kind of enjoyed it.

My 2nd day riding I had a rain ride and was also my first time riding at night. And I also got pulled over. And the week after when I got my full motocycle license after I took my test I rode home in a downpour. (Mainly becuase the dumb government workers wanted to get all bikes at once instead of keeping the appoitment I made).

And another time when heading down to Savannah, GA to visit a friend. While going down an interstate for the first time it started to rain. So I put the bike at 95-100mph/152-160kph and just tucked and stayed straight. I even passed by a cop and he didn't bother me. (Speed limit was 70mph/112kph)

Rain doesn't bother me and in a straight line you can actually go pretty quick.

Plus since I hit a deer with my truck my bike is my only mode of transportation.

Hi folks,just done 800miles this weekend around the top of Scotland,350 inthe rain on an XT600 tenere,if you don;t ride in the rain you don't ride (not here anyway)You can get 4 seasons in 1 morning :lol: As long as your smooth you can still go at a good pace,it's only water :D

• 1 month later...

I ride to work everyday of the year, rain or shine. As long as you adapt your riding style to suit the wet weather you can still ride progressively and even enjoy the journey. The problem is the other idiots on the ride who cant drive when its bone dry, let alone when its wet. :rolleyes:

What a load of crap, dont believe a word of that "If you dont ride in the rain, you dont ride" stuff. Its like saying i love to stand in the rain so i can get wet and cold. I hate riding in the rain and avoid it as much as possible, but in Ireland its impossible. Ive had to ride with no protective gear except a helmet on many occasions cos all my gear was drenched and hung up drying.

As said above, adjust your riding style and ride safer, cars cant see you as well also. Ease off those bends and watch the flooding around bends

I got caught in the heavy rain the whole way home without my visor two and a half hours from home,had open face and had sunglasses, it was a beautiful morning by the way and i usually have the visor in the auld saddlebags but this day i didnt. Craziest trip ever. face burnt off me with the rain and eyes wrecked from straining through droplets.

Night riding in the rain is mental, hate it hate it hate it. Some kinda crazy xbox game. I ride a dragstar FFS which has F all breaking so riding at night is scary even without the rain...

If you dont feel comfortable riding in the rain....DONT, pull in to a petrol station have a coffee and see if it gets better. Im comfortable riding in the rain but ride to YOUR limits its YOUR life, YOU take the risks and dont let anyone push you beyond what you feel safe with.

Dont buy into the bullshit of "im a real biker cos i do...." Stay safe lads

What a load of crap, dont believe a word of that "If you dont ride in the rain, you dont ride" stuff. Its like saying i love to stand in the rain so i can get wet and cold. I hate riding in the rain and avoid it as much as possible, but in Ireland its impossible. Ive had to ride with no protective gear except a helmet on many occasions cos all my gear was drenched and hung up drying.

As said above, adjust your riding style and ride safer, cars cant see you as well also. Ease off those bends and watch the flooding around bends

I got caught in the heavy rain the whole way home without my visor two and a half hours from home,had open face and had sunglasses, it was a beautiful morning by the way and i usually have the visor in the auld saddlebags but this day i didnt. Craziest trip ever. face burnt off me with the rain and eyes wrecked from straining through droplets.

Night riding in the rain is mental, hate it hate it hate it. Some kinda crazy xbox game. I ride a dragstar FFS which has F all breaking so riding at night is scary even without the rain...

If you dont feel comfortable riding in the rain....DONT, pull in to a petrol station have a coffee and see if it gets better. Im comfortable riding in the rain but ride to YOUR limits its YOUR life, YOU take the risks and dont let anyone push you beyond what you feel safe with.

Dont buy into the bullshit of "im a real biker cos i do...." Stay safe lads

I totally agree.You'r not going to impress anyone when you're lying on a cold wet road waiting for the ambulance because you were trying to be a "REAL" biker. I try to aviod riding in the rain or on icy roads.But if I do have to I ride with extreme caution, slow down earlier and watch out for idiots who think it won't happen to them.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates riding in the rain and cold! Some sites have guys saying you're not a real biker if... etc. and that they don't ride any slower in the rain. I say with all the diesel spills, potholes, drain covers, etc. plus reduced visibility and cars with dirtymisted up screens it's a nightmare.

I watch the weather forecast and use the car if it's gonna rain. It's easier to clean than the bike. I don't ride if it's gonna snow or be icy.

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...

As my bike is my only means of transport, I have no choice but to ride in any weather.

The only time I've caught the bus instead was when it was snowy and icy because I'm not willing to take the chance!

Guest stancamden

My 2nd day riding I had a rain ride and was also my first time riding at night. And I also got pulled over. And the week after when I got my full motocycle license after I took my test I rode home in a downpour. (Mainly becuase the dumb government workers wanted to get all bikes at once instead of keeping the appoitment I made).

And another time when heading down to Savannah, GA to visit a friend. While going down an interstate for the first time it started to rain. So I put the bike at 95-100mph/152-160kph and just tucked and stayed straight. I even passed by a cop and he didn't bother me. (Speed limit was 70mph/112kph)

Rain doesn't bother me and in a straight line you can actually go pretty quick.

Plus since I hit a deer with my truck my bike is my only mode of transportation.

One thing I noticed about the roads in America, every time you came to a bend there were always a set of skid marks showing where someone had continued to go straight and hit the brakes in panic and fear as they disappeared into a field, forest or chemical factory.

When it rains in the US, drivers on the Interstate seem to go faster (so they get home quicker?). One night I was driving down the I-95 through Jacksonville towards Daytona and visibility was about 10 yards in the downpour. Needless to say most of the evening was spent in a tailback after the multi-car pile up.

One thing I noticed about the roads in America, every time you came to a bend there were always a set of skid marks showing where someone had continued to go straight and hit the brakes in panic and fear as they disappeared into a field, forest or chemical factory.

When it rains in the US, drivers on the Interstate seem to go faster (so they get home quicker?). One night I was driving down the I-95 through Jacksonville towards Daytona and visibility was about 10 yards in the downpour. Needless to say most of the evening was spent in a tailback after the multi-car pile up.

Not trying to hihack the thread or argue but one thing about driving here in the states is there are so many different driving styles depending on what region you live,,,and that in turn makes for dangerous driving conditions on the highways when traveling. Those up north are used to driving fast in the snow because they get more snow than the south.

Those in the mid east region are used to driving fast in the rain Hence all the rain we get.

Those from the midwest get plenty full amounts of rain and snow.

Now...west coast, deep southern areas of the states rarely get snow. and any rain is in small amounts.

Those that live in dry areas that travel to rainy/snowy areas tend to drive slower cause crashes from those who are used to driving fast in those conditions.

and vise versa those in wet/snowy areas drive to an area who gets snow once a year are used to driving in it and end up rear ending someone who is driving slow not used to it.

Ill admit that I drive 65 where ever I am going..rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain....Im used to them all...I drove over the road with dad since 16 and by myself untill 21...now I drive our fire trucks no matter what weather....I cant wait for our first deep snow this year.

• 1 month later...

you will get people who will never go out until sunny summer....

other people ride in all weather :P

myself, when i got my bike...it was the middle of winter, so as you can imagine, i ride in wind and rain alot at the moment...i think its pretty fun, but i would rather ride on a sunny day

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online