YBR125 downshift issue

Spartan 969
This post is 2446 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, 

It's been a long while since posting, but due to circumstance, I have yet to do my DAS and am on 6th CBT.

Anyhow, moving on to the issue:

The only way to shift down that works is blipping the throttle.  I struggle blipping when breaking, so, naturally I go by the manual which says not to blip but slowly release clutch and apply throttle as required. The problem with that method, is that the revs spike when releasing the clutch, by about 3k, if there is and throttle applied, with no throttle the back wheel starts to lock and the bike lurches.

So far, the only work around is to blip on downshift, and block change if coming to a stop.

I find it odd that I can shift down with blipping but not using the method taught on CBT with this bike.

I was wondering if any have words of wisdom for this?

Cheers

Spartan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have to ask, how long have you actually been riding? This is something that happens to new riders they have problems with coordinating all the hand and foot movements when they first climb onto a bike, this sounds like your fairly new to riding and if that is the case then as time passes you will get it down pat. If your back wheel locks up when you change down your going to fast to actually change down..! Brakes and gears should work in sympathy with each other not fight against each other. I might of course have this all wrong and you have been riding for years in which case I would suggest a problem with the bike..!

New guy jitters as above.

I have had my daughter repeatedly exasperated because she has co ordination issues too. Says its the bike. Then i ride off with no issues.

Cannot use the throttle and the font brake. Cannot pull away ( on level) without clutch. Dont know what gear.

All the same questions and arguments as well as a few  more i asked and more when i got my first bike 30years ago.

And blips just for posing :P

The original poster states  they are on their 6th CBT, so how long does a CBT last

Without knowing too much about your riding experience, I would suggest you are dropping down too many gears at the one time causing the rear wheel to start locking up

Apologies, I'm on my 3rd CBT, with just shy of 6 years on the bike. Typing in a rush when I got to work..
I've got 15k under my belt, and slow speed and clutch control I find rather easy, it's just these gears!

I seems like it is me, my hands don't like talking to my feet. If any remember, at school having to rub your stomach while patting your head and tapping your feet: I can't do that :/

I should note that I have done a CBT Plus scheme too, all CBTs done on a CG or CBF and the instructor didn't pick this up, so I suspect it's something that has developed. Although, it was mentioned on CBT that I spent too long on the clutch.

I am almost certain that the issue is me, I do most adjustments to the bike myself, and clutch throttle and breaks are set as required. So I am sure the bike is ok.

This happens to be the only issue I have while riding.

Cheers

The problem as I see it, is over 6 years you've been riding you will have picked up a load of bad habits............we all have them, but as we are through our test then no worries for us. I believe you should take a few lessons to iron these out.

So what about changing down too many gears thus causing the engine braking to lock the wheel up 

Indeed, I'm sure I'll have a few In the car, too. 

I'm fairly good at self analysis, and through previous instruction, would pick up 5-8 faults on my test, by their evaluation. There's things that have appeared as all bad habits do, too. Wish I was perfect, but I not. 

DAS is on the cards, hopefully by the end of the year. I have yet to find a training centre that does lessons. They all seem to be focused on a block week. Easy Rider in Derby have gone now as far as I'm aware, and they are where I did my recent cbt and cbt plus. 

Generally I don't change down more than one gear at a time, just trying to find the cause of my issue. Also wanting to learn other methods. 

Although, I can shift fine if I blip, but I can't do that while breaking. As per my first post. The problem doing that, is that when I blip with two fingers, the other two on the break move with. If that makes sense. Hence trying other methods to shift down when coming to a stop. 

I'm not sure if the last bit makes sense. I'm not that great with writing things down. 

Cheers

Roll off the throttle.  as shes  slowing, gently kock down the gears,  use the back brake if you need to blip,  

Thanks for the responses folks, I'll take out the bike tomorrow and have a play. 

I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Cheers

Spartan

Thanks guys, much appreciated help. 

My timing was way off with gas and clutch. I was putting gas back on too soon, while in the clutch; which explains the rev spike, along with the lurching. 

Was also sometimes too high in the revs on downshift with improper throttle. 

Also noticed that my clutch free play needs tightening, whether that's contributing, I'll find out! 

Much appreciated comments

Cheers

Spartan 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online