TDM 850 /900

drewpy
This post is 2813 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As you may have gleaned from Tommy XS post, we are hoping to go to spain next year and feel the need to get a suitable steed.

My Bar hopper XS won't do and the sports orientated FZ will kill me.

So I was thinking a 2 pot and thought of the TDM.

Ugly things but the ones with the 270' crank sound good.

Any thoughts?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice bike Drewpy, big seat and good engine, don't know what your using for panniers and such tho. Big tall bike as I remember it so anything you bolt on to it will make it top heavy. Where are you and tommy hoping to go in Spain?

12 minutes ago, slice said:

Nice bike Drewpy, big seat and good engine, don't know what your using for panniers and such tho. Big tall bike as I remember it so anything you bolt on to it will make it top heavy. Where are you and tommy hoping to go in Spain?

Steve from Bristol has done an itinery, santander through the pjamas and back. only 250 miles a day which should be enough for newbies

• Like 1

Room for more mate? or just you and Tommy?

TDMs are brilliant bikes. The boys over at CarpeTDM, are amongst the most hard core and gen'd up on any forum I go on. Stick 'em on a bumpy B road and nothing gets away from them, the lumpy twin (96 onwards) and the long suspension travel makes for a seriously quick road tool.

Personally i'd get a 900 if I were buying one. The second generation 850s are good, but all the 850s are mikuni-CV carbed and the bloody things wear out to quickly. Also better brakes, ignition system and more sophisticated.

Prices are strengthening on them (probably due to the wider adventure thing and also because people know a good thing when they ride it).

If you get one keep it, they are nailed-down, true future classics.

When are you going to Spain?

2 hours ago, slice said:

Room for more mate? or just you and Tommy?

sure there will be. nothing fixed yet as early stages, I prefer May.

I'll mention that there will be 1 more to add.

• Like 1

You have to ride a TDR to know. I nearly bought one.

Motor i great. All single like low torque with a decent top whack.

The seat and bodywork looks odd but day long comfy.

Only neg is nomatter what the year they are bastards to work on.

2pot = slang for 2cyl. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cynic said:

2pot = slang for 2cyl. 

Assumed it might be- but have also heard people use this to refer to brake caliper pistons and was wondering if I missed something - where 2 pistons were preferable for touring...:huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malleus said:

Assumed it might be- but have also heard people use this to refer to brake caliper pistons and was wondering if I missed something - where 2 pistons were preferable for touring...:huh:

2 pot brake calipers also have 2 pistons.

Each engine configuration has advantages and disadvantages. Singles are light/narrow, but can be vibey, inline fours can be heavy, wide and complex. It's why twins (parallel and vee) and triples are popular (less revvy than a four more torquey but with less outright power).

The TDM engine (post 1996 in particular with the crossplane 270degree firing order), is quite vibe free at 70-90mph and makes an efficient long distance tool.

Well I have been looking at a few different bike's since the idea of Spain came up & as pilgas said prices on the TDM's seem to be going up, you could pick a decent one up for well under a grand last year now their around 60% higher in price, I think I'll be struggling to get the money together for the trip as its quite early in the year and normally takes me till begining of march to get over Christmas. But once I say I'm going, that's it I'm going but realistically I think I'll just have to stick a rack on what I've got and loose about three stone & prey the old girl holds out.

• Like 1

Tommy there's guys out there who have done this with a 50cc step thru, as long as you don't have to pedal it you'll be fine mate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, slice said:

Tommy there's guys out there who have done this with a 50cc step thru, as long as you don't have to pedal it you'll be fine mate.

Yes but they didn't do it in the company of xjr 1300s and whatever Drewpy rolls up on.

• Like 1

Don't worry mate I'll carry you in one of my panniers !!!!! :rofl:

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online