Older degreasing methods?

Variomatic
This post is 2930 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was in town buying a can of engine gunk and I got thinking about how one would degrease a bike in ye old days. Say in the 40's-50's or such when such products where difficult to find, how would you clean grease and oil from an engine? Some household method or would you just use a rag and deal with it? Anyone have any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

GUNK has been knocking about for donkeys years, but as above paraffin and a brush was the preferred method but steam was good to. In the 1960s we used whatever was available and cheap usually just hot water and a rag with loads of washing up soap. There were very few Japanese bikes back then.

modern stuff is now bio degradable, ( and rightly so) but it was generally just a wipe over with a  rag, keeps the rust away yer know ;)

before 90, in romania we use diesel for this. this was the official degreaser for this job :))

9 hours ago, drewpy said:

modern stuff is now bio degradable, ( and rightly so) but it was generally just a wipe over with a  rag, keeps the rust away yer know ;)

I tend to leave a lot of oil and grease on the bike for that exact reason :lol: Why wash away perfectly good rust prevention? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Variomatic said:

I tend to leave a lot of oil and grease on the bike for that exact reason :lol: Why wash away perfectly good rust prevention? 

I wouldn't be one for powerwashing the bike .  Generally a squirt of WD  and a wipe of a rag . Different for off road bikes though .

I only use my powerwash for my snowfoam attachment, hosepipe for everything else

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I do powerwash but on lowest power and 3 ft away and just to wet and rinse down.

I use autoglym products which smell really nice too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online