FJ1200 recommended engine oil?

DutchFJ1200
This post is 2974 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gents,

Yes I did a search but nothing obvious :-)

As the title says but am clue less re mineral/semi synthetic/fully synthetic.

I assume somewhere in the 10W40 range.

Guess there's not much to say re make but tips welcome.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Dutch, On mine I used a 10/40 semi, seemed to run fine on that, as to brand? They are all pretty much the same cheap ones need to be changed more often I found and expensive ones like YAMALUBE are just daft. Halfords semi is a good oil for general use and cheap enough.

Roger that Slice.

I assume that fully synth. is for the new crotch rockets.

Mineral or semi synth. will do for my ageing tank.

semi is more thanenough, just get a motorcycle oil and buy when cheap.
opie oils has deals on sometimes and you get discount being a member on here

There are many different schools of thought regarding this, depending on whether you talk to Yamaha, a mechanic, a fitter, a rider, a racer or a mechanical engineer...

If you talk to the OC, the best and most recommended is Morris 20w50 Ring Free mineral, followed by Morris Super Sport 10w40 semi.
Yamaha's 4000 mile oil service interval is the maximum you should do and this is in perfect conditions. Short journeys, extended motorway work and hot engine temperatures all should be taken into account and the interval for oil and filter changes reduced accordingly.  ie every 2,000 miles.

However, IIRC, I'm actually using a diesel car oil of some kind. I'd have to check which one, but it does me just fine and has served the PO perfectly well for a good number of years too.

Quite a lot of people using diesel oil in bikes now, it's recommended for my suzuki!

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Ok I'll bite, DIESEL oil in a bike, Really!! Or is this a piss take? Cos as far as I know CAR (Diesel or Petrol) oil has additives that f**k your wet clutch up, Now I know that heavy V twin air cooled bikes can be hard on their oil but if you have a wet clutch aren't you going to wreck it? Just asking mind cos things do change and it's always nice to have new knowledge if it's out there and works.

quite common for peeps to use diesel oil, just need to check the specs.

some from across the pond use Rotella oil

Yeah I hear rotella mentioned everywhere, never seen any over here though.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Is the oil used in diesels different from the oil used in petrol engined cars?

And I'll second Slice: DIESEL oil ffs?

Yep just looked it up, diesel oil does not have the additives that petrol engine oil has, as long as the weight is right and it fulfills the other criteria that your engine needs apparently it's not a major problem to run this stuff in your engine, think I will stick to the "proper" stuff tho and let someone else try it first, let me know how you got on !! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online