Slight knocking feeling sr 125

1am570yl3z
This post is 2977 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I have a 2001 Yamaha sr 125. as it gets to about 27mph there is a slight knocking feeling in my feet,its there until about 34mph and goes again. if you roll off the power at that speed it fades out, but comes back when roll on the power... 

also slight shuddering when pulling away. as if too quick with clutch not enough rev........

i did lose some oil after not tightening the cam cover fully. topped up with 15/40(could this have affected clutch performance?, Caused unusual engine wear?)

i'm thinking possibly some form of bearing, or something else that once was round, is no longer.... any thoughts welcome, anything in particular to check?

have been told the best thing is to check inside....  can anybody help with a way of locking this sh$7 in order to remove cam sprocket and remove the head??

cam chain is tight and valve clearance checked. starts first time(seems to have good compression) with no nasty noises from engine. rear end is solid and chain aligned.

any advise, suggestion welcome 

Thanks 15

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

he wasn't being agressive 1am, just that we get a lot of one hit wonders and we are more of a community than other forums.

An introduction is good netiquette and is appreciated on here. So a hello and intro is worth a lot more than you know.

• Like 1

No name, no please and I bet no thankyou. Seems as you say "a rather pointless exercise". And if that upsets you "deal with it"

By the way, I know the answer to your question and bet at least half a dozen folks on here do to.

well. i didnt mean to be in polite. all i done is ask for some help.

i didnt know you need to know my life history to say..... yes wrong oil...... yes just a clutch plate etc

not being a member and needing to fix my bike asap lead me to this forum and ya'know just thought i'ld ask to save time, money and hassle of splitting it when i dont need to. and obviously as 2 members have mentioned " i know the answer" i was right. (unless you chatting sh$*)

so what do you want for the answer???  money?, a new car?, a cup of tea? or a beer?

no, apparently my name and hair color, no wonder you have a lot of one hit members on this site if this is how their welcomed.

yea we know the answer but not gonna tell you until i know you name and address and you have posted 12-20 times..

This forum has almost no real rules apart from a community sense of fair play that you are stretching a little. We don't use post counts, vet posts or members, just let your conscience and sense of 'treat as you wish to be treated", control the post content.

The intro is just curtesy, same as a pack of cans when you go round your mates to watch the racing/footy/rugby etc. Your going to drink, eat and use far more than you take.

Most of the time the same happens on here. people get their problem fixed and go away to live their life and enjoy their bike till they have more problems. Most of the people giving the advice have been round the block and are offering their time for nothing, and often they have been in that very situation and help just because the biking community helps people. Its a mind-set, in this day and age everything is instant. I'm already too old to give a f about instant, more do it once do it right.

For what its worth I would be checking the chain and the sprockets. SR engines are so over engineered harm from low oil esp to the clutch is very unlikely the cams would fail first unless your actually saying you ran it dry.

• Like 2

Many thanks for your reply. Cynic 

have checked the chain and found a few links that were solid, (is soaking overnight) 

the incident of no oil was my ride to work which is 12 miles. I dont recall noticing anything strange or noticeably different during the journey, just noticed my engine was dirty once i got there.

it wasnt dry but not far, would say a loss of about 700-800ml. oil indicator showed just above min.(guess the pump wouldnt do anything tho) 

It will be the tight links not moving smoothly, if you ran the oil below the pump pick up the cams would have picked up in hundreds of yards not miles, there are no cam bearings as such just a very specific tolerance that fills with oil in like 4 rpm, once run dry it would be rattling like a bag of spanners.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online