Just put deposit on 1100

Phil72
This post is 3039 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone new member and bike ready to collect 2nd Jan.

buying from keep biking, Brackley Northants.

Test drove the 900 and 1100 having had a break from biking, my last bike was a Honda blackbird which kind of bought the worst out of me on the road.

wow what a test ride, comfy, loud with highway hawk pipes.

just s little hello and a couple of pics of my upcoming new toy.

Think some saddlebags are on my list, that and learning more about care of the bodywork / chrome as I don't want to be a fair weather rider.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Phil, welcome to the YOC, very nice bike, all you need now is some sunshine.

Admittedly 2nd Jan not best time of year to get myself a bike.  Think I will use it most of the time apart from frost and salt times of year.  Think I better get me some of that acf50 stuff or will bad weather riding take its toll very quickly 

As long as you wash it after every run out you should be fine, ACF50 is supposed to work fine tho. Don't forget to grease EVERYTHING you can reach especially the rear shock joints.

Thanks for the heads up, don't want to turn it into a rust bucket.  Any online reading to help understand care and routine maintenance as been out the game for nearly 5 years and never had a bike with so much chrome 

4 hours ago, Phil72 said:

Admittedly 2nd Jan not best time of year to get myself a bike.  Think I will use it most of the time apart from frost and salt times of year.  Think I better get me some of that acf50 stuff or will bad weather riding take its toll very quickly 

I have just coated mine in ACF-50 ahead of salt etc. Expensive by volume but a little seems to go a long way. If you put it on make sure to coat evenly and wipe down otherwise it goes all gloopy. Which I am sure is fine but doesn't look great and is hard to get off. I will see how it stands up to weather and maybe pop a review up. (Though to be fair my bike is out of action for a few weeks at least!)

Oh and welcome!

Cool bike, not sure about the custom paint though. looks in good order.

I rode my old xvs125 through several winters, not a sign of rust on it upto the point it got written off in a smash. Also rode the xv750 virago all through winter of 2014-15. No rust anywhere on it. Both bikes were well treated with ACF-50 in the autumn and used daily. Washed 3 or 4 times during the winter, then re-coated with ACF. 

If you choose to do the same, wash and thoroughly dry the bike first. ACF comes with a neat little spray bottle these days. Cover the wheels/brakes with an opened out bin liner, warm the fluid up (hot air gun/gas hob) as it thins it out and makes it easier to spray. Use the spray on the hard to get to areas, engine cooling fins/under tank etc. For the rest of the bike, use a rag to wipe it on. A little goes a long way. Safe on electrics/plastics, use common sense to avoid seat/brakes etc.

1 litre should last you a couple of years

Thanks for the replies really appreciate the advice and that it seems not quite such a labour of love to keep looking good

The custom paint lol

was just pleased to not have the basic factory colours might consider a work of art paint job in the not so distant future

7 hours ago, Phil72 said:

Winter is a good time, prices are usually lower, bought my previous bike one December and when I sold it 18 mounths later I actually got more than I paid for it.

afc50 is the way to go, I've got the same routine as never say die and got the same results.

:welcome: I also use MArine oil, especially for storing bikes. they use it for outboard and inboard engines so is good stuff

Merlin jackets.

Daventry Suzuki have them on the peg, try one on. Looks like a regular jacket is utterly waterproof (now tested) and very warm not to mention being the most comfortable bike jacket I have ever had. Leather, textile or otherwise.

They have taken the old Belstaff waxcotton process and use it with Kevlar weave.

Not pennies and they may be online but when it comes to bike clothing trying a few on on a bike (preferably mine) to be sure its comfortable is important, for me at least.

Suppose you could go away and internet it but that's why shops are closing.

In Bugbrooke btw, may see you at the bike nights at Jacks Hill? Easy spot, not another TDR250 for 50 odd miles, maybe more B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online