punctres

Grouch
This post is 3134 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Finished wok today and went to my bike to find the front tyre was flat. Really pissed off because of all the inconvenience it will cause me. I'll get up earlier for work to catch the bus now. It will be Tuesday by the time I get a new inner tube delivered and then I have to get it fitted. I will have to take the wheel off myself and take it to a garage. I've only just got the chain and sprockets sorted, which I was really pleased with. I got a gold chain and it looks the business. I really hope the curse hasn't come back to haunt me.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Blimey Grouchey. On my older bikes which had a tube fitted and when I had a puncture I used to patch/repair them no trouble at all.

All you need is a couple of tyre levers and a bicycle puncture kit from Halfords and away you go.

• Like 1

Jesus grouch its a fking puncture. They happen.

Blimey Grouchey. On my older bikes which had a tube fitted and when I had a puncture I used to patch/repair them no trouble at all.

All you need is a couple of tyre levers and a bicycle puncture kit from Halfords and away you go.

I thought you needed a tyre machine to get the tyre off and I didn't think a punctre kit would be strong enough to hold a motorbike inner tube.

I thought getting the tire off the rim was easy... it was getting it back on that gave me the most trouble. :/ course the tires on my little green bike are, well, little. 

Edited by Sacha

Well done Grouchy, now you've got the wheel off can you get the tyre off?

If you use at least two tyre levers, three would be easier and start from the valve and "walk" them round, i.e. put the first lever in to break the seal then the second lever to elongate the break then remove the first lever to continue breaking the seal and by doing that until you get round to the valve the tyre should be free from the rim.

Undo the nut that is holding the tube in then remove the tube. When inserting the new/repaired tube insert the tubes valve into hole, screw the nut on and work it carefully around inside the rim of the wheel, when tube is inside the rim slightly inflate the tube and smear plenty of lubricant around the tyres edge, neat washing up liquid is ideal then use the tyre levers to prise tyre back into the rim being careful not to pinch the inner tube.

I presume you know how to patch up a tube. So easy to do so if you don't I will go through step by step.

• Like 2

For safety and peace of mind I would fit a new tube. You use to be able to get motorcycle specific repair kits as the patches were larger than a bicycle kit but I would Never consider using a bicycle puncture kit on a motorcycle tube. If you're unsure take the wheel to a dealer and get it fixed properly as it's your safety at stake.

Thanks guys. I've ordered a new tube it will be here on Tuesday. I could do with proper tyre levers and a valve remover but I will have to improvise. Tony I'm ok now I just struggled getting the wheel off because it was so tight. I think the spindle needs greasing as well while I have it off.

Yeah Kev I've decided to do it properly and buy some tyre levers and a valve remover. My inner tube won't come until Tuesday anyway. So it looks like I'm a bus wanker for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

Glad you've managed to remove your wheel! I was a little concerned when I read that lol

now I'm hijacking your thread...

in the absence of proper tyre lube, and salt content in fairy what is a good substitute?

Swarfega, no salt and it's bio-degradable, won't rot your tyres and safe to use on the chrome.

• Like 1

Cheers slice. I'll bank that for next time - got the tube out and noticed the size was too big. Where I got the new tyre and tube fitted have agreed to fit a new tube foc tomorrow so I don't need to break a sweat!

• Like 1

Right tried getting the tyre off and failed. The tyre is proper stiff and rigid, it has zero flexibility. I'm not stressing myself out and ending up cutting the tyre trying to get it off. I used neat fair and let all the air out but, the tyre is proper solid.

stuff it I'll take it to a garage and get it done properly.

You'll have to "break" the tyre bead off the rim all the way round . I lay the wheel flat on the floor and place a garden spade on the tyre close to the rim . A quick jump on the spade will loosen the bead and let you get to work with the levers . Be careful if discs are fitted , best to remove them first .

Edited by KevtheRev
  • Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online