TZR 50 doing 65mph????

sooty157
This post is 3166 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Fancied a little bike to relive my youth and came across the TZR 50 and loved it's looks so much I bought it (wasn't even looking for a 50), went out on it with a friend of mine on his restored 350lc and found my little ped actually flew and was going faster than the speedo would tell me. It hits a powerband in every gear at 6000 rpm and he clocked me at 64mph going into the red in top gear (had a bit left in it but I didn't want to hold it in the red). Anyway my question is is my flying ped likely to have had a big bore kit fitted somewhere down the line or can this be achieved with the stock motor?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

According to this MCN review they will do around 60mph, obviously not restricted so cant be ridden under moped licence rules.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/tzr50/2003/

use a GPS to find out the real speed. most of the bikes are showing 10% more speed than actual speed. both my bikes show 10% more speed than I have. so if you see 65, you should have around 59.

Cars also run around 10% over actual speed. My Ludix Blaster would do an indicated 45-50mph on a flat with just the restriction removed. Wasn't as much fun going up steep hills though. Slowed to about 20 in a 50 and had the world's longest queue of cars behind me - rocking whilst shouting "c'mon ya bugger!" didn't help... :shrug:

• Like 1

Thanks for the sensible comment Blackhat, and no around 80 kilos, and foamy my 50's actually been to similar speeds..... in the back of LWB transit when I picked it up. Like I've tried to explain I'm not a spotty teenager telling tales or tall stories, I have Myself as many of you probably have restored many classic 2 strokes across the years and simply asking with more modern 2 strokes is it easier to gain significant power increases from a lawnmower engine with relatively simple de-restrictions?

Just to add, cars of the 80's had a 10% discrepancy due to speedo head calibration and piss poor quality mechanical components. I seriously doubt my modern day 3 series with speed sensors from the box and all 4 corners all communicating on a Can Communications network can be 10% out or surely BMW and technology have gone nowhere in 30 years.

• Like 1

is not about mechanically wrong things sooty, they are set so show 10% less. this is happening on my 2012 xvs (this bike was come on the market first time in 2009), noth my wife cars (2004 and 2005) show 10% more than actual speed. if your car show you the correct speed, then your speedo is broken :)) first time I was thinking my bikes have the speedo broken, then I ask my mechanic and he tell me they are set like this, thing confirmed by a biker police officer and if I want check my speed, I should use the GPS because this is giving data in real time. the cops are against using the GPS to check the speed from safety reasons - sometime when is bad weather the GPS are stuck and is not showing you the actual speed and you risk to p;ass a camera with increased speed than the GPS  showing you. but in normal condition, you can check the speed with the GPS so you can find out what is the difference between what speed you have and what speed your speedo are showing you. what cost you to check your real speed with your GPS? then we can speak again about your modern car-bike that show the real speed ;)

Manufacturers have to allow discrepancy in the speedo reading to allow for error - if you were doing 'actual 30' through a camera and got a speeding fine/points you'd sue them. Also changing tyre size/sprockets can alter speedo readings. My 2001 Fazer had a 120 tyre on the front when I bought it and the speedo was pretty much spot on to GPS speed (think the standard size was 110?)

Hi clarke, I'm gonna get the gps on both cars and the ped tomorrow to see what it reveals and post the results but it sort of digress's from my question even if the ped's only doing 55 when the car's following at an assumed 65 because even if we say a conservative 55 mph is this still possible on a 2004 bike that should be restricted to 30 mph with a stock motor and minimum fiddling with caus i know for a fact it's got standard sprockets, standard carb and it's original stock barrel (I checked all these before posting this thread).

Fair enough. My V Strom shows GPS 35mph at an indicated 38mph, and a GPS 70 mph at an indicated 77mph. Things like speedohealers can give you an accurate reading and I think I read the Strom is about 7.?% out 

Simple law, it is illegal for a spedo to under read, not to over read.

Also remember the difference between tyres both new and old and different manufacturers. It still cannot read low. 10% covers it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online