return to two wheels

@ndy
This post is 3290 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bought myself a 92 pre diversion XJ600 2 weeks ago after 11 years without a bike.... haven't stopped smiling yet!

My first ever bike was a 1977 yamaha SR 500 which I got in about 1988. over the years I have also had: a Cx 500, two XS750s, (not at the same time, one after the other) rd 250, suzuki gsx250. honda cb750 hardtail chop, guzzi v1000 (ex-police). the guzzi was the one I kept the longest and the one i had last... some overlapped and there were a number of little bikes not worth mentioning that where runabouts.

I have a liking for shaft drive (as you see). I would maybe have gone for the XJ900... I always wanted one, one of my dream bikes... but my reason for getting a bike again is because it makes sense for computing and generally shooting about... I don't see myself doing any big journeys, touring etc. so the 900 would be overkill really... also thought it may be a bit big and heavy after such a break.... The 600 is really lively and nimble... the last bike I had was the old guzzi... this feels like riding a rocket after that....

Bought this new machine (new! 23 years old if it's a day!) off ebay for £600 with 12 months MOT.. thought I did well... it's tidy, runs well, few little niggles... fuel gauge not working correctly, carbs could do with balancing, ready for a bit of a service.... front brakes squeak a bit at slow speeds, clutch snatches a bit... but it is riding OK and I have already done quiet a few miles.

I was quite surprised, it being such a popular bike, that there isn't an abundance of second hand luggage available... I picked up a pair of second hand BMW panniers last week locally... I figured I would be able to adapt the frames.. I figured wrong though, the Nexus exhaust is in the way for the right hand box!! so they will have to go on ebay.

After quite a search I did get hold of a Krauser S-wing K2 rack... with a view to fitting a topbox (when needed). I hadn't bargained for the K2 to be old hat!! in any case the krauser stuff is pretty expensive... May end up adapting the wing to fit another box... If any members have any advice or recommendations for luggage I'd be very greatful.... also any advice regarding the snatching clutch, squeaking front brakes or misbehaving fuel gauge (never had a bike with a fuel gauge before) would be greatfully recieved..

@ndy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I had a 96, 900 diversion (I realise your bike is a pre-divi 600) and it was a splendid bike, reliable and was quick enough to stay ahead when needed, but it s fuel gauge became erratic and started to miss-read,

I brought a new sender unit/float, it fitted into the bottom of the tank, however I was able to ‘fettle’ and repair the original.

So working on the assumption that your bikes sender unit is similar to the Diversion I had. When the tank is running low on fuel, it might be an idea to drain the remaining fuel and remove the sender, The unit on my bike had become worn on the pivot point for the float arm allowing the contacts of the unit to disconnect because of wear at the pivot point, I was able to add a little washer to the arm preventing the wear from affecting the movement, I was able to re-use the original gasket,

Thanks for that. I had in mind to investigate the sender..... When I fill up the gauge shows full..... then once it is 3/4 full the gauge shows empty.... Panicked me at first!! my new bike only does 18 to the gallon!!!!! until I opened the filler and found it practically full.

@ndy

Greetings, not surprised that being back on two wheels brings a smile to your face, it happens to lots of folk.

I had the XJ750 version of your bike, great for your commute I should think, the 900 is just as chuckable as the 600 all the weight is low down in the frame, so when your ready it will be time for one of those. If your face aches that will be the grin. :biglaugha:

• 1 month later...

Hi Mate,

cool that you are back in the saddle, I too have an old pre divvy, but I have semi café racer'd mine, wonderful bike, and sounds crisp with a 4 into 1 and a Micron pipe. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

:welcome: fuel senders will be getting worn by now. They never were that accurate anyway and I just use the trip meter to judge fuel levels

I got a '91 xj600 engine in my FZ and they are good engines.

front brake will prob need stripping and cleaning and the snapping clucth could either be a cable that needs lubing or it just needs using a bit more if it have been stood for any length of time.

i have some spare calipers and seals if you feel you need to change them.

where in the UK are you?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online