Petrol Preferences

Nathan0834
This post is 3513 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

back in the day when we had 2* and 4* fuel I had jap engine bikes that woud'nt start on 'posh' fuel 'cos the combustion chamber was designed to run on low octane petrol.dunno if that's still the case but I just put unleaded in both the bikes and the 20yr old jag I run, all seem to like it fine.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes. The japs have only ever had 95ron unleaded. As a mineral poor country producing its own vehicles why pay lead to burn.

Thing is though they werent adding 10% ethanol to it either. It can ruin mixture. As well as eating carb components.

It killed my dt motor.

one those car shows did a test with a curry houses old oil. it ran almost as good as regular diesel ,

but had a strange odour .

I agree on wondering if it is worth spending the extra cost on premium; now here it is what I found: with my previous bike, a Ducati Supersport 1000ss, whenever I used 95 (BP or Shell) it developed some pinging noises at the front (no idea from where it came - valves?- but very annoying); whenever put the premium stuff everything was in order.

Now I am planning to use only posh petrol on the R6 and one of the reasons is the lower Ethanol level. I am also planning to add som Wynn's Dry Fuel now and then as well as other additives to ensure injectors are clean and combustion is efficient. Well, I guess bikes can go on basic supermarket fuel for a while but for me is about ensuring the bike last as much as I want it to last.

Some of the guys who used to work on bigger things (VC10, Tristan, Hercules, Tornados) used to run their cars on whatever got drained from the aircraft fuel tanks when they went in for maintenance, as soon as you take fuel out of them it goes to waste because it has to be considered contaminated.

Only problem is, it's slightly thinner than diesel (basically it's kerosene) but some people were either running half and half with pump diesel or filling their tanks with aircraft fuel and mixing in a couple of litres of engine oil!

• Who's Online (See full list)