Exhaust paint

dav a
This post is 3546 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all not sure if this is the right place for this please move if not. I have got myself an old twist and go to keep the miles down on the Midnight star ,the problem I have is the header pipe is starting to corrode ,I have tried to protect it by removing the loose rust and painting it with high temperature paint I have done this twice now and both times the paint has burnt off in a matter of days . The paint I used is Halfords own brand, am I doing something wrong ,Ive tried increasing the temperature gradually but it still burns of ,is there a better brand or is a downpipe just to hot for any paint. any suggestions appreciated . Cheers Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I use UHT paint from the local car shop and cured it with a hot air gun for about 15 minutes, it chips a bit from road grit and stuff but to be honest if you just slap it on and don't cure it then it will peel off. :shrug:

I used Plasticote BBQ paint on Airheads recommendation on my DT's exhaust pipe.

However, within 6 inches of the cyclinder head I find it tends to burn off after a few months.

The rest of the pipe is fine, I just re apply it when it looks a bit tat!

The cylinder head was painted with Simonez Engine paint and has lasted well on the aluminium

however, it too burned off from the first 6 inches of the exhaust.

I used Plasticote BBQ paint on Airheads recommendation on my DT's exhaust pipe.

However, within 6 inches of the cyclinder head I find it tends to burn off after a few months.

The rest of the pipe is fine, I just re apply it when it looks a bit tat!

The cylinder head was painted with Simonez Engine paint and has lasted well on the aluminium

however, it too burned off from the first 6 inches of the exhaust.

yeah NEO It's because you use yours in all weathers, aint no paint gonna stand up to all that cold water being thrown at it when It's at a high temperature itself, even the original paint didnt last very long at all. It's about all you can do is to keep on top of it.

• Like 1

andrew did you use hammerite BBQ paint?

I use plasti cote BBQ paint from B&Q or Wilkinsons, needs curing first though I leave it on the works boiler for a week

You're right it was Plasticote. 'Hot Paint'

Used it at the exhaust start, let the exhaust heat cure it.

Hi all thanks for the replies,I used a rust cure the first time{,its some sort of acid that turn the rust black ] thought this was the reason the ht paint didn't last second time just paint on bare metal .think I might try BBQ paint see how it goes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online