Unbelievable....

Cynic
This post is 3556 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Struth. Was on the phone to fowlers as i wanted to replace an o ring that is in the 2stroke oil supply circuit thats perished.

Well its 3mm dia and maybe 15mm across. You cant buy it on its own. It comes as part of THE COMPLETE TANK ASSEMBLY.

Just guessing what that would cost (it was poa and a back order item, quell suprise) gave me sweats.

Pack of various from halfrauds i guess.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

18mm internal

Approx 3mm od. The ring recess (er?) 24mm od with the base of the fitting being 26mm so 3mm looks about right.

The original is knacked so can't trust its even the original.

Oh and to point out the omg factor. On a TDR250 the oil tank and the fuel tank are one and the same. Kerching

Dont worry. Nayruf gave me loads of info on o rings.

Have tracked down the proper part. Had £10 minimum order but its the right part for the job. Actually talked through what i needed with them.

Being part of the 2 stroke system and the mess the knackerd one made. I wanted it right.

Only downside is i will have a 'couple' of spares.

• Like 3

Hi

After reading this post on ‘O’ rings made me realise that although in engineering we take ‘O’ ring sizing for granted. Others may not know this info,

There exist several international standards of ‘O’ ring sizing systems, Ranging from ISO, BSI, API and Aerospace Standards (AS-568),

Anyhow because of this standardisation we can use these sizing systems to give any ‘O’ ring we need an AS – 568 size/part code, the trade often refer to the sizes as ‘Dash Codes’, so if you know the Inner Diameter (ID) and the Cross sectional area (CS) you can give pretty much any seal its part, size code, as most of the planet uses the AS-568 system its often best to do a search for a pdf size chart from the net, read up on how the coding system is implemented then apply it to the seal you are looking for, once you know the size code a net search should find suppliers that can provide seals that main dealers charge a fortune for or that are no longer supplied.

Once the seal size code is known the most compatible material type is needs to be picked,

This can be done by searching on the net for Elastomer compatibility reference charts, this type of search should give you several options of charts to pick from mostly dwnld PDF’s but some interactive searchable links to mainly associated to companies that provide seals and similar equipment,

( Cole Parmer is the one I often pick)

although most suppliers will know the best materials for a given liquid and its temperature,

• Like 1

there was a site where that sold M/C seal kits by size. lost the link in moving computers though so you'll have to trawl google. It was an artisan web page not from a main stream site.

Cheers, I will have a look later when I get home. They do sell repair kits but the seals are the wrong size in them! I brought a yam XS360 kit but the seals are 14mm so if anyone needs one - I haven't fitted it. I also ordered a XS650 kit but it came from the states and customs want £11 extra to deliver it so I can't be ar5ed to pay that for something that I only want the seals from and they may not fit either. They can fly it all the way back to the USA.

Interesting. Does this apply to master cylinder seals as well?

Hi

Pretty much yes it does, the dash codes mainly apply to 'O'ring seals and this is for any fluid type or even gasses, but you often find that similar can be applied to garter type seals as used in all sorts of places from fork seals to crank case seals, I got a triple lipped garter type seal for my back wheel this was an up grade on the dual lip original seal, the seal supplier was able to measure my original and cross ref its pt number they then supplied the better seal, my experience is mainly with 'O' rings but size conventions exist for most types of seals, a point to note is that even though the seal is made from elastomer it can grip on a moving shaft and will wear the surface, we some times need to apply tough coatings to protect shafts,

Just a side note to all of this most seal suppliers also sell bearings at a fraction of what bike suppliers sell them for,when i did the tranny bearings in the wr I got higher speed rated bearings. The bearing manufactuers also use the same codeing system for sizes so 6032 wheel bearing from any bearing company will be a direct fit and a simple request for a higher speed rating normaly they can fix you up.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a side note to all of this most seal suppliers also sell bearings at a fraction of what bike suppliers sell them for,when i did the tranny bearings in the wr I got higher speed rated bearings. The bearing manufactuers also use the same codeing system for sizes so 6032 wheel bearing from any bearing company will be a direct fit and a simple request for a higher speed rating normaly they can fix you up.

just buy a decent make, or you'll regret it

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online