XT500 Idling adjustment

mcferreira100
This post is 3867 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Any XT experts out there?..like to know how you adjust idling.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

By nomeans am I a xt expert,but is ther not a screw on the side of the carb to adjust the slide height? Like almost everyother bike?

But before adjusting the idle the valves should be checked for proper adjustment.

what the whole problem? I read in your other thread that it need a carb clean so you did that right?

Yes..cleaned the carb..checked float valve height..gave float valve a clean with some brasso..bike wasnt starting but starts again now. Plenty muck inside carb bowl. Just barely idles..have to stay on the throttle. My DT175 has big idle screw on the side but don`t see anything on the XT.

I'm prety sure with that style of carb it's a brass flat slot screw,not a quick adjust knob like th dt,

If not, than the pullie that holds the push pull cables will have a screw to adjust.

Idle is alway controled by holding the slide up on a carbed bike,so what holdes it up from seating in the throught of the carb

There is a knurled knob underneath the throttle cam the part the cables attach to,
it needs screwing in the turn the tickover up.
380a3aeb-cc03-49cb-9586-0e6b37adc8ca_zps
TTB

I'm totally impressed with your red arrow Tommy.

Its part of Photobucket editing tools, kinda big isnt it.

TTB

Again..thanks very much Tommy10 for the great visuals.

Must say, your bike looks brand new.

Go on tommy" show him the collection,,, :yeah: ,, make him as envious as us lot... :facelick:

Here you go then , theres a few missing off this one but you get the picture.

440c9969-364e-4e10-878f-40519557f409_zps

DSCF0336_zps07642402.jpg

DSC_1458.jpg

TTB

F**K ME!!!!! is that your drive way and where do you park them all? Tommy you are in need of care mate seems you have an XT fetish!!!! Just lovely tho, makes my 2 bikes look quite pathetic, I shall have to go out and buy more I will tell the wife that it's your fault, BIKE ENVY!!!!

Oh yeah and I like your arrow to, SHINY!!!!

F**K ME!!!!! is that your drive way and where do you park them all? Tommy you are in need of care mate seems you have an XT fetish!!!! Just lovely tho, makes my 2 bikes look quite pathetic, I shall have to go out and buy more I will tell the wife that it's your fault, BIKE ENVY!!!!

Oh yeah and I like your arrow to, SHINY!!!!

There all locked and bolted up in my double garage which is also alarmed and double bolted, there is also not in the photo

a Triumph Bonneville T140V , and IT 250 a green XT 600 , a XL185 ( on ebay at the moment ) a TY 50 moped with pedals with 1 mile on the clock.

another TT500 this is the next one but it will be a yellow one this time and another XT that will be a Paris Dakar replica that i am having a tank made

for at the moment.

DSCF2392.jpg

DSCF2400.jpg

sonautoreplica.jpg

Now this i will look forward to doing.

TTB

SHOW OFF fancy red arrow.

The dakar will bee ultra cool,not goig to see that everyday

Tommy I now have "OFFICIAL BIKE ENVY SYNDROME" Christ on a crutch that is a beautiful array of bikes and the DAKAR one looks to be coming along ok. If ever you go on holiday I volunteer to come round and watch your bikes!!!! you might need to wash the dribble off of them when you come back tho. :hyper::shakeno::eusa_think:

Ok I am at a loss for words on a collection like this..makes my dream garage seem a little stupid. Must be quite a few thousand pounds standing there. What does a person do with so many bikes??

On another topic..

Cleaned carb with carb cleaner and compressed air. Cleaned float valve with sum brasso..adjusted floats. Then gave it a service..new plug, oil filter and new oil..whereafter I went for a start and the damn thing almost took my foot off. Gathered up some courage, put on my biggest boot and went for a start again. Now she runs and idles great after some fiddling. Just ran out of fuel today so pushed her about a mile...whew!! that`s my exercise for the year.

What the plug and oil looked like...wonder if it was ever serviced.

6rcl.jpg

xcw7.jpg
s3wm.jpg

Yeh mac" shes black, plug looks ritch too. ,,,,i knew tommy"s collection would get yeh,,, never fails,,,

nice haircut by the way,,,, reflection,,, :photo2:

Hi Guys , yes just like my trail bikes and theres always someone happy to look after my house and bikes while im away.

I am thinning the collection down to make room for couple of others including the Paris dakar bike, originally i wanted to build something

special but didnt know what, cafe racer maybe , HL500 maybe then it came to me ho have ago at the PD bikes, so thats what started me off.

Anyway mcferreira100 good to here you got your bike running better , if it lickes back, more likely than not it may have been too much fuel,

maybe tick over screw intitially too high.

TTB

That kickback brought back some painful memories of these bikes. Yep the tickover screw worked a charm..she`s idling a nice 1200rpm and maintaining it...also never kicked back again. She`s easier than tuning a DT175 to idle properly.

I cut my own hair..so good to get a compliment.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online