How often do you clean your motor cycle?

wallywant xj6s
This post is 3926 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, How often do you clean your motorcycle and what do you do after that? ie:- lubricate check tyres for stones nails air pressure or do you do a general overall after cleaning your bike. thank you for reading and replying.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok I can say with some conviction that I clean it dry it and put it away, but what I should do is all that and CHECK FOR MISSING NUTS AND BOLTS (see my last post!!) Usual routine is to service it once it's in winter storage so it's ready for next year when the sun comes out, yes you've guessed it I am a softy and only now ride when it's warm out, to bloody old for riding around in the frost and rain, I leave that for those who have lot's younger outlooks and bodies.

I'm not to precious My road bikes get a clean when the chrome looks minging from road grime, (I ride all my bikes in all weather including my 200) My DT's and other off road bikes dont get washed very often (they invaribly look like my profile pic) tend to check levels, pressures, fixings and fittings quiclky before each ride or two.

Minimum once every couple of weeks for my draggie... lots of chrome you see! The give her a once over, check for missing things, leaking things, the usual...

As soon as i notice dust/dirt on the bike it gets a once over with all purpose cleaner. I wax it occasionally and will lube the chain weeklyish. I check tyre presures when i remember and generally do a 'POWER' check each day - for those not aware that's Petrol Oil Water Electrics Rubber.

NEVER (When I'm pissed.)

Spent one Sunday afternoon cleaning it from top to bottom. Stood back and thought that looks nice and clean.

I thought that while I'm at it I would check to see if it would start because a lot of water was slopping about and I needed it to start first thing in the morning.

Would it start?

NO

So I started checking all the electrical problems that are prone to my bike.

After about 45 minutes I realised what the problem was.

Something stupid that took less than one second to rectify.

Something stupid that took less than one second to rectify.

You put the key in the ignition? :lol::lol: :lol:

You put the key in the ignition? :lol::lol: :lol:

No

you turned on the petrol tap?

No

something stupid eh?.................. :eusa_think:

i know,.....................you flicked the "engine kill" button back on?

this could take a while!

I know, so to give you a clue.

It's something that takes a fraction of a second to either start your bike or not.

something stupid eh?.................. :eusa_think:

i know,.....................you flicked the "engine kill" button back on?

YEAHH, well done

As I said, when cleaning the bike I didn't realise I had done it.

Well done NEO.

I know.....i know.......................................You cleaned the wrong bike and realised yours was still dirty!!!

:rofl:

(((Posted between Mikes answers)))

Usually when one of my daughters say "Dad your bike needs a clean".

I do the usuall checks every couple of days as I ride about 350 out of 365 days a year. I don't need to worry about lubeing the chain as it's totally enclosed and runs in litium grease.

What annoys me is that I can spend a couple of hours cleaning the bike. And the next day if the weather is wet the bike is back to looking dirty again.

SO. I think, why do I bother?

Anyway I use it all the year round and it is my workhorse.

Usually when one of my daughters say "Dad your bike needs a clean".

I've been through all that and used to pay my daughter over the odds to clean my bike on a Sunday afternoon.

But now she has fled the nest the bike seems to take a back seat as regards to cleanliness.

I normally clean mine every other week or so unless the weathers good, then I find the bucket of water spills on tight bends!!

I once got my boys to clean it and I ended up with loads of tiny scratches on the tank where they'd dropped the sponge on the floor!! Still trying to T-cut them out!!