Can you fit panniers to any bike ??

paul-666
This post is 3965 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can you fit panniers to any motorbike I was looking on line and I'm a bit confused at how they fit ? I'm not going crazy and wanting to fit them to my YBR or any thing crazy like that lol I'm just looking into how they go together on a bike any info would be great

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Pretty much so. You would need to get brackets to fit tho'

Usually there is a rear frame/rack which the top box fits to and then you have the panniers hanging down the side, they fit using hooks(usually built in) at the bottom and a pin or peg that locks the boxes in place, I have them fitted to the XJ and they are ok but if I did it again I would go for throw overs. Cheaper and more use truth be told, as you can just take them off when you don't need them it's a bit more fiddly with rigid panniers and they are expensive if your not going to use them very often. Just my thoughts on it.

Usually there is a rear frame/rack which the top box fits to and then you have the panniers hanging down the side, they fit using hooks(usually built in) at the bottom and a pin or peg that locks the boxes in place, I have them fitted to the XJ and they are ok but if I did it again I would go for throw overs. Cheaper and more use truth be told, as you can just take them off when you don't need them it's a bit more fiddly with rigid panniers and they are expensive if your not going to use them very often. Just my thoughts on it.

agree but throwovers have to be loaded more or less evenly - I'm getting a pannier fitted to my XJ but it will have to be just one side because the exhaust is in the way the other side - it is going to put a stop to my bad habit of resting my feet on the rear pegs sometimes.

As above, really.
Most bikes can fit luggage, but not all of them.

Smaller tail packs often have straps beneath that you strap underneath the pillion seat, or similar. The pack then just clips on to the strap ends, often with QR clips.
Soft luggage is saddlebag style throwovers, usually, with the lower edges strapped/clipped/tied to teh support rail.

Almost all bikes than can carry, require support rails of some kind to bear the weight and stop the luggage from hitting the rear wheel.
Some bikes only have aftermarket fixings and these sometimes don't attach to the bike well, require modding or just aren't designed to take that sort of weight. A few aftermarket luggage racks that sit on the tail attach to the indicator bolts and can snap them if you put too much weight on.

Yeah Ian is right, you have to load throw overs equally or they are useless no good shoving 10 spanners in one side and a packet of mints in the other, I would, next time, go out and look at a set on the bike I was buying cos you can't beat seeing them in place and fitted properly.

Unless you have a Cruiser, in which case the throwover yoke secures under the pillion seat and you can put a full fuel can in one while leaving t'other empty!

Assuming you liked them, assuming they were properly fitted with the correct hardware, assuming they were in good condition.... yeah.

But if you'd rather choose exactly what you want, that is an option.

• Like 1

Ttask is right, you buy a new bike they are an option usually. 2nd hand ones are a bit of a hit or miss as above, who fitted them and was he any good at it?

I use soft panniers daily. The bracket for my 99 fazer which would take panniers isn't in production any longer and I couldn't find any second hand - only the base plate for the box - which I already have. As for equally loading the soft panniers, all I would say is that while preferable it's not essential assuming the Velcro (or similar) fittings are secure enough - it just looks stupid. One tip from experience though ... Soft panniers move around no matter how secure so do place some protective material between them and the bike.

Assuming you liked them, assuming they were properly fitted with the correct hardware, assuming they were in good condition.... yeah.

But if you'd rather choose exactly what you want, that is an option.

I use soft panniers daily. The bracket for my 99 fazer which would take panniers isn't in production any longer and I couldn't find any second hand - only the base plate for the box - which I already have. As for equally loading the soft panniers, all I would say is that while preferable it's not essential assuming the Velcro (or similar) fittings are secure enough - it just looks stupid. One tip from experience though ... Soft panniers move around no matter how secure so do place some protective material between them and the bike.

All noted and if I get stuck trying to fix them to my bike I can always ask lol

Not sure Dougie lampkin would want em on his bike , and they would be a bit of a pain on motocrosser, and you would have the piss ripped outof you by the power rangers if you put em on your R1

Oh, yes, when I speak of empty saddlebags, I do mean the heavy, semi-rigid (fnar fnar) leather Cruiser ones. They kinda stay up no matter what (fnar fnar)!!

Weight in actual soft panniers should be fairly well distributed wherever possible. Also look into protective strips for the edges of your bike paintwork where they contact... or kiss your paintwork goodbye.