Worth a Punt?

jimmy
This post is 4130 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice looking bike Jimmy but the rattle in the engine would make me think twice about it and at a grand it's a big gamble. As he says it MIGHT be nothing more than someting loose but if it's not then at the very least it will need a major rebuild. Your money so your choice but!! :crazy::biglaugha::biglaugha::biglaugha:

I like it. Lots of money spent wisely. It would be the kind of thing I would buy (but I brought another bike yesterday and 2 in one week is a bit too much).

It may not be cost effective and the engine COULD need a good few quid throwing at it but it looks good. Add in any costs for finishing it off...................

It would tempt me.

he says it needs a new engine!

unless you have access/funds to get another engine I wouldn't bother at that price.

If your really stuck on it, take a gamble and let it run. email the seller and get him to lower the price

i dont like that a mechanic said it could be something or nothing..
you can generally say "that sounds like... but could be something els"
i would have imagined a mechanic would have said something like.. "sounds like big end bearings, or top end rattle, or so on" i just dont see how they wouldnt have made a guess at what it may be given where the rattle is coming from.

id be hesitant to bid.

Didnt really think of bidding, due to the engine "problem", but I was looking through Dragstars when I saw it and thought its a good looking bike

new engine £500

bike £1000+

cost of getting it to scotland£100

so far thats 1600 and thats before all the extras get flung in

seals oils filters time and labour

but i suppose its a risk aint it

i think i would wait myself to see what else comes up

i still think the listing is deliberatly keeping information a seecret. And anytime i think that i am really hesitant to bid..

Its like people who list things as "untested" this usually means "totaly busted" but i have to admit i have been tempted a few times because it was a joblot and i could understand why they wouldnt bother to test the things.. And the ones i did buy were fine..

but having said that i have bought plenty of things that turned out to be more money to fix than the things are worth too.. so i just send them back.

Don't touch it unless you have already found an engine in good nick that you can slot in.

Dragstar engines are actually hard to come by and usually have massive import charges accompanying them.

I'm still looking for one myself, if you know where to find 'em!

If you want a dragstar to look like that then buy a stock one, slap on a solo seat add straight bars, fit different fender n remove the front fender. Job done n will set you back about £2300 if you get a cheap bike. Just like my bike not much effort in making a bobber. Thats why im getting a one off frame built...........just to be different.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online