my DT175MX this winters mini project

Airhead
This post is 3811 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

this winters rolling restoration
Did this over the last few weeks, it wasnt tatty or owt but ya know how you just feel you have to do stuff in winter! ::)Decided to smarten up the arse end of the DT

It started with yet another take a chance buy of yet another swing arm...only difference is that when this one arrived I knew that finally...I have bought a good un with no butchery and no pitting...still in the original manufacturers paint coat after 33 years...awesome, Thanks DK ;D
Swingarm37FromDK.jpg

after a good pressure washing with hot water
100_2517.jpg
100_2518.jpg

and a coat of zinc primer and gloss black...rattle cans of course 8-)
Copyof102_2630.jpg
Copyof102_2643.jpg

knowing this was a next move in the rolling resto...in Oct 2011 I bought from France ebay a rear inner and black outer mudguard, I bought it because the inner guard looked promising and you just dont see them like that anymore, anyway for a grand total of 30 Euros it arrived and I cleaned up the outer guard and promtly ebayed it, crikey it fetched £65 'go figure' as the Amercans would say!

so heres the inner after a good clean up with power washer and scotchbrite...gold dust
Copyof102_2638.jpg
Copyof102_2639.jpg
and off to the electroplaters for a freshen up
100_2527.jpg
100_2526.jpg
Like I say you just dont see em like this, so this is why this fella is asking £175 for one :o
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dt175mx-dt-175mx-dt175-rear-mudguard-/221170983581?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item337ed1629d

while I'm at it I fitted a grease nipple to the swing arm where it pivots and drilled through the pivot bush...I reason that the grease will serve the purpose of not just lubricating the bearings but will also stop the mounting bolt seizure issues too
100_2529.jpg

and lastly the chain tensioner bolt gets the same treatment + re-zinc... these things are continually in motion and wear away the bore of the tensioner and the bolt
100_2528.jpg

Couldnt doo all this without a quick tart up of the old 'De Carbon' gas shock could I...more aerosol therapy
Copyof100_2544.jpg

I've got a NOS chainguard and pillion rests too to go on when I get around to it 8-)

;D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Show winning stuff Airhead. MInd you, the DT always looks spot on.

The drilled through the pivot bush is a great tip. People drill and tap the swingarm and then fit a grease nipple and all of the seizing is inside this bush and the swingarm bolt which gets little of no grease.

Heh i will have to use the dt for squires this year. Show you what a real dt looks like......ha ha...

Looking good paul. Hope mine doesent get any idea's.

Getting a new shop later in 2013 - it will come with the house I'm having built - and when I do I will finally be able to do this kind of work instead of letting my projects languish. My swingarm whispers to me, but I ignore it for now. Excellent thread, Paul.

while I'm at it I fitted a grease nipple to the swing arm where it pivots and drilled through the pivot bush...I reason that the grease will serve the purpose of not just lubricating the bearings but will also stop the mounting bolt seizure issues too
100_2529.jpg

Nice tip! It always seemed like it could use a little more grease distribution in there.

• 10 months later...

Airhead I`ve just realized i`ve never seen some pics of your bike. Care to share?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online