Side standswitch 400 / 650 Dragstar

growls
This post is 4199 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After years of never failing to start, my 400 has stopped working, I may have forgotten to feed the hamster again but I suspect this time it's the side stand switch. The little 'T' shaped part isn't making contact with the side stand.

Can any one tell me if it is supposed to be pushed in when the stand is up or completely out.

I am guessing they are the same on both the 400/650 model as it uses the same frame etc.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Rule No.1 with all 14 Yamaha's I've owned........

REMOVE & Bypass sidestand switch 1st thing!!!(super-easy fix)....... it'll save you a ton of grief ;)

thanks for the info we shall find out if there is more problem tommorrow. I do know the neutral light is on and the starter motors trying hard just not firing.

yup your right more than one problem tis dead Jim dead Jim

Can you be more specific scotty

Not really a lot more to say. you turn the key neutral light comes on & the amber oil can light whilst it goes 'vrrrr' for a while, then goes out. I give it a little choke and then press start. starter motor tries to start but it seems like the engine never fires. ( I did fully charge the battery).

Not mechanically minded. Guess Ill just have to shoot the wee thing.

Pull the spark plugs and see if you have spark.

If the starter is turning the engine over and its not firing, one of two things, no spark or no fuel.

The side stand switch will not let the starter turn.

I have to agree, check for spar from the plugs, if your get no spark, then change the plugs and try again. If still no spark check the wires going to your coils then if the wires are ok and your still getting no spark then check/change coils,

If your getting a spark but its not starting then take your plugs out n have a sniff, if they are wet and smell of fuel, check the conditions of the plugs and change if needed. If they are dry then you are not getting fuel into the barrels so you will need to check the carbs out to see if you have a block jet or pipe. or you just need to put fuel in the bladdy tank lol :D

where abouts are you?

and is there definately fuel in it. ? sounds daft but if fuels low may need the reserve switching on...

when was it last serviced,/ when were plugs last changed.. what was done? if its ages ago then plugs could be FUBAR

do you lights come on when you have ignition on and them switched on?. if so it means theres life in the battery if not then battery is Fubar and therefore would not supply enough spark to power the bike up

does it have a fuel filter? if so is it blocked

has i got soaked wet through recently?.. if so is the air filter soaked and therefore the carbs aint getting the air they need...

simple way of looking at it. a bike needs three things to work. fuel/spark/air. if one is removed or weakened sufficently then it wont work.

basic i know but it helps narrow things down.