Fz600 Gulf

drewpy
This post is 2848 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The cap resistance and plug resistance have NO effect on the cdi its electrically separate.

What resistance do dyna reccomend. Personally reducing the resistance of the ht coil output will make a huge difference to spark energy (its only rf suppresion anyway).

Ohms law says so.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well this is strange, wired in the new pickup coil and it didn't spark again.

shortened the lead and it sparked!

got continuity in the loom, so maybe its the ohm thing.

got the engine going, but wouldn't rev at all, pulled the carbs but they were clean (from the last job)

I do have another pickup but its 290 ohm with 1.5acv as opposed to 98ohm with .8 acv

any thoughts on using that one?

It's always the small shit that you over look glad you finnaly got it at least running.

Could you even get it to slowy rev up if you only gave it a wee bit of throttle?

I think I would be more tempted to try first,removing air filter and try it,then blocking air inlet. just to be sure it's not fuel related as you have the smaller carbs on it,and getting some non resistor plugs.

I

Could you even get it to slowy rev up if you only gave it a wee bit of throttle?

I think I would be more tempted to try first,removing air filter and try it,then blocking air inlet. just to be sure it's not fuel related as you have the smaller carbs on it,and getting some non resistor plugs.

wouldn't rec over 1200, no airfilter on and no exhaust too ;) it was loud!

might go with the non -resistor plugs, maybe the silicone leads are resistor leads!

well this is strange, wired in the new pickup coil and it didn't spark again.

shortened the lead and it sparked!

got continuity in the loom, so maybe its the ohm thing.

got the engine going, but wouldn't rev at all, pulled the carbs but they were clean (from the last job)

I do have another pickup but its 290 ohm with 1.5acv as opposed to 98ohm with .8 acv

any thoughts on using that one?

how did you check it ? when I had problems it was caused by oil soaked wires behind the front sprocket cover when i checked each wire separately they looked fine but when i checked one end of one wire with the other end of the other wire I could see the power was bleeding across the two.

how did you check it ? when I had problems it was caused by oil soaked wires behind the front sprocket cover when i checked each wire separately they looked fine but when i checked one end of one wire with the other end of the other wire I could see the power was bleeding across the two.

I'll check it Tommy, but there's only the loom in the upper frame that's original.No chance of any oil soaked wires there.

Well unless a guy like newmamirconsa'snitsler who might live in his own camp just soaked it in oil every wheh has no effect on the casing of the wires and the copper core within then nNo ER um YEs no yes...,,and well you know it rains so,,,er ,,um forget it.

You got it this far now stop and think,,, small things!!

You might have over looked.................................................! 95 % of the 400 time's you have looked at something you thought "well it is good /or should work " Is when it bights you in the ass,

Knowing your bike and knowing you did it, is, all that gets you home sometimes

If you need any specific pictures of anything let me know and I can snap em of my FZ - the engine is currently blown up but I plan on fixing it, however maybe some pictures or info will help you at this point... just let me know!

thanks felix, i have an fz engine in the shed.

just ordered some non resister plugs as maybe the dynas have resister silicone leads.

ordered some oil for opie too

That would drive me nuts having to order and waite to do anything,any day but sunday I can have parts I need in hours or minutes unless it has to come direct from yamaha then its 3 days. A small thing like spark plugs 15 minutes and I would have new ones in my hand. I don't get it with the number of bikes on the road your side I would think there would be bike shops all over the place. What's the average waite?

we have bike shops, but don't stock everything especially non-resistor spark plugs

we have bike shops, but don't stock everything especially non-resistor spark plugs

also normally cheaper online and as long as you have a bike on the road you don't mind waiting, plus more head scratching time

also normally cheaper online and as long as you have a bike on the road you don't mind waiting, plus more head scratching time

and time to make brews

and time to make brews

Haha or drink them I guess :beerchug: would still drive me nuts when in the middle of a project and needed a spark plug .Every bike I have ever owned since resitor plugs came to be I replaced them with Non resitor plugs,I dont care if richy rich in his bemmer radio goes buzz when I drive by

• Like 1

That would drive me nuts having to order and waite to do anything,any day but sunday I can have parts I need in hours or minutes unless it has to come direct from yamaha then its 3 days. A small thing like spark plugs 15 minutes and I would have new ones in my hand. I don't get it with the number of bikes on the road your side I would think there would be bike shops all over the place. What's the average waite?

We have way more rules over here. Insurance etc. Plus bikes are far harder to keep running. Things like the split o ring on my TDR. Yamaha wanted me buying a complete tank assy. The o ring isnt a single item anymore.

Then chuck in the mot. Which we need every year. Not to mention insurance. People buy new instead and get rid at 2 or 3 yrs old.

Only dealers messing with them because of the electronics.

Net result a split in motorcyclist types. There is us lot. Do our own work and route out parts to stay on the road riding our bike trusting our own skill and being the dieing breed that will admit their at fault.

Then you have the people that wouldnt know a spark plug if you hit them with it. They want the fancy helmet. The leathers, whatever boots Milandi is wearing. Pah.

Net result bike shops full of useless crap for the most part. All my stuff comes from Fowlers in Bristol.

You any nearer Andy.

plugs in, chuffed a bit one one cyl. bastard lit me up when testing (thats the dynas)

reckoned it was the in-line fuel tap I put on causing an erratic delivery, then POW it lit up :hyper:

just putting it back together now and check that it charges and going to order a DT400 fuel tap and eliminate the vacuum system.

the crmc boys who race FZ600's in the UK all put them on

Ye HA finnaly!!!!!! look out tommy he's still got time before squires HAHAHa.

So relay box gone and kill switch working and this night mare was mainly because of to much resistance in the plugs?

Ye HA finnaly!!!!!! look out tommy he's still got time before squires HAHAHa.

So relay box gone and kill switch working and this night mare was mainly because of to much resistance in the plugs?

not sure, the short wires in the loom from trigger coil was naff. the American spec bike don't have resistor plugs and it did give me a belt when I was grounding the plug, so its a mix of everything which probably got me stumped