Ethanol Based Fuels Destoryed my Carbs

ArcheRD350
This post is 4222 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys,

I got some used carbs and they worked fine for a while than I discovered the Ethanol based fuels is destroyed the brass jets and needles in less than a year

Any idea of any up to date carbs or after market carbs that I could buy to replace these with? 43mm outside measurement to connect to the manifold bushings.

Ethanol is a bane to older bike carbs, fuel tanks lines and petcocks. It also causing water inmy fuel tank and rust.

Is there any type of fuel conditoner I could buy to solve this problem?

Still stationed in the Philippines so limited on what is available.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I can't see how brass can be affected by the ethanol, certainly not "destroying" them.

It does affect the rubber though and the only option is to use Viton.

Frost sell an additive which do a lot of their business via mail order!

Sounds like the fuel has water in it more than the ethonal ,try buying you gas in a jerry can and let it sit for a couple of days and see if it seperates.Methol hydrate will attach it's self to the water ,but it's still thier dammaging your bike

A old trick when the tanks had to be diped to measure how much gas had been sold during a shift,the attendent would pour 10 gallons of water in the main tank and pocket the cash. It got so bad at 1 station that cars would die a few blocks from the station and had to be towed the tank,lines drained and fresh gas put in . The owner of the station pumped the tanks and found that his fuel was less than 50% gas

Ethanol is corrosive to brass. It is a known issue on brit bikes that have more brass in the fuel system.

Jap stuff is far better as a lot of the carb internals are chromed steel. The needle as an example.

It should be easy enough to get a new set of jets though. Even out there. The job lot could go in an envelope.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online