another idea...

wild foamy
This post is 4198 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

I recently had a moment of clarity whilst unloading my recently aquired DT out of the back of my lpg converted kia... stako currently make a 7 litre lpg tank which is roughly the same size as a topbox, and i have also aquired a second DT for parts, but now I'm thinking, could I convert a DT to lpg? How would a two-stroke engine react to the change?

As ever, any input appreciated

-foamy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you been on high altitude training Foamy?

It would double the weight of the bike and do nothing for the aesthetics. Not sue I would want all that liquid gas between my legs either.

Nah i've been in the back of the hangar sniffing the degreasing fluid.

Was thinking more along the lines of making a solo seat and fitting the tank behind the seat bolted to the frame, the tank can be had for about £40 and the only other major parts I need are two solenoids (which will work on 6v) and a reducer/vaporiser, the original petrol tank would stay to allow the engine to run on petrol in the event of the gas running out and to allow the engine to warm to a point where it is able to heat the vaporiser.

Will make some sketches during the week of what it may look like, as for the weight it wouldn't be too bad

• 2 weeks later...

i have an astra which is powered by lpg. its fine dont really notice the difference except it costs £25 to fill instead of £60 plus, there is aparently a power loss of up to 10% but the only time i notice its a bit down on power is reversing but i stick it on to petrol for that.

as for doing it to a bike i wouldnt really bother,the reasons like the hassel of getting it set up and running right and the possible insurance grief, some companies wont insure converted lpg cars, just are not worth it.

Same as any other engine, the tricky bit is finding an evaporator that works with an aircooled engine....

well the gas injection on my car is "sequential", it basically takes a feed from each of the four petrol injectors and sends that signal to four gas injectors instead, which then feed a small amount of gas straight into the intake manifold about a half inch before it goes into the head.

my brothers car ('89 Dodge Ram B350 w/ 5.2 v8) is single point, wherein the gas is fed directly into the intake and is taken sort of as an when it is needed by the engine, exactly how it can tell when to increase the gas flow (i.e. under acceleration) is a mystery to me

as for finding a vaporizer, i may just create a pre-heat coil that fits around the cylinder head so that once the engine is up to temperature it is pre-heating the gas and eliminating the need for a vaporizer

Same as any other engine, the tricky bit is finding an evaporator that works with an aircooled engine....

So you simply pour your oil into the gas bottle ? :eusa_think:

HA, no the oil goes in the oil tank, the gas will still have to come through the carb as you will need the throttle slide to control the engine. So the oil will go in the same way.

Getting an injector ring for a DT carb on the other hand? And the DT having enough draw without loosing power, and the engine generating enough heat to keep the lpg as a gas and....and...and...

LPG?GAS?RACE FUEL? My bud has been playing round with all the fuels for years now in his race car 1/4 mile.

And the only thing he has proven is that it costs way more to f with what already works.

The car ran 10.40's on every fuel the only differencs was the cost of the fuel. Add in all the costs of adding LPG to his car and the extra wear and tear on the vavle train ( because of the lack of lube in LPG ) and it saved about 0.

TBH I would not entertain LPG in any vehicle, not even happy driving petrol cars nowadays after seeing one go up in Rotherham one day right in front of me (on the opposite side of the road) luckily the occupants realised what was happening as the bonnet went from red to black within seconds of them stopping,

and also AFAIK you are not allowed on eurotunnel woith an LPG vehicle, I will stick with diesel as much as possible thanks

HA, no the oil goes in the oil tank, the gas will still have to come through the carb as you will need the throttle slide to control the engine. So the oil will go in the same way.

Getting an injector ring for a DT carb on the other hand? And the DT having enough draw without loosing power, and the engine generating enough heat to keep the lpg as a gas and....and...and...

but some of us pre-mix :eusa_shifty:

The DT has its own oil pump so no need for pre-mix, i cannot praise LPG enough tbh, it cost me £840 to have my sportage converted and i have probably done 5,000 miles since, on a recent trip to grimsby i spent atleast £70-£80 on gas wheras petrol would have been £160ish, you still pay a little bit for petrol as it starts and runs on petrol until the engine is hot enough to vaporize the gas, but a full petrol tank (£70) has so far lasted 3 months and its just about to drop below 1/4 full.

i have no plans of getting rid of that car as it is like driving a 70mph armchair, should easily make my money back in a year

Your not in the same league, how about the thought of 350 mile trip to lands end at 10 to the gallon in a 5L rangy. THATS when you appreciate lpg the puter on the rangy is set for lpg too so its better on gas, no performance loss.

More galling is the fact that when i started using it lpg was 28p a litre......

For all the detracters on LPG, they haven't got a clue what theyre on about, they've probably heard from a mate who had a fooked up conversion done in a back street garage no doubt, and parrot fashion poo-poo the idea, I have a RX300 Lexus 4x4 that I've had 4 years now, and the first thing I did when I bought it was convert it to LPG, I first did my homework and read up about all the different systems that were on the market all the pro's and cons about fitting it. Performance wise theres not one bit of difference than when I'm running it on petrol, so anyone saying different is talking out of their 'arris, it paid for itself after 2 years, approx 20k, as for buggering the valves, (and mine has 24) you run whats called Flashlube, which 'drips' protective oil into the LPG system, cost about £75 quid on top of the £1700 for the then initial installation (price has come down a fair bit nowadays too), as for insurance companies not insuring cars with LPG conversion? wassat about then? as long as you have a certificate saying its been done proffessionally then theres no problem,road tax is cheaper too, and no conjestion charges, whenever I go into London. As long as you have the system serviced every year as I do,(costs about £70) you can guarantee many trouble free miles in your car. My two bobs worth anyroad.

Yours is newer than mine nev. I adjusted mine for better gas performance. As far as problems. I had a sticky injector 2 years ago and changed the lot for around 150notes.

I figured 1 going could mean the rest going too. As she is a caravan tug, and seeing just how fast the petrol gague drops towing.

Its spot on otherwise. Like you say people only remember the bad.

The poles have it sussed i have seen mini's with lpg from poland.