Which bike?

mailee
This post is 4218 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, new here so be gentle. I am getting back into biking at the age of 57 and would like a cruiser. I am torn between a Yamaha Virago and a Dragstar. My dilemma is that I am slightly built with a short leg and an all up weight of around 8 stone! (Yes I know I am a skinny t*at) :biglaugha: My choices are down to a 750 Virago or the 650 Dragstar. I know I could go for a 535 Virago but I think the extra CC might be helpful. Do you think the extra weight of the Dragstar would be a problem for me? Which bike would you go for in my position? Thanks, I would appreciate the experience of Virago/Dragstar owners on this as so far I haven't even sat on one.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Id say get the 650 draggie, looks so much better than the Virago, and it so happens im selling my dragstar! (but might not be to you taste?)

My Mrs is 5' 4" (possibly even less, I'm not sure) and she finds the Dragstar perfectly fine.

She also says "a Virago is an old man's bike", despite it being more designed for smaller riders, but hey... :-)

I say go with the 650. You get used to the weight very quickly and you'll find it feels very 'planted' in the corners :-)

My Mrs is 5' 4" (possibly even less, I'm not sure) and she finds the Dragstar perfectly fine.

She also says "a Virago is an old man's bike", despite it being more designed for smaller riders, but hey... :-)

I say go with the 650. You get used to the weight very quickly and you'll find it feels very 'planted' in the corners :-)

So far its 2 votes for the dragstars then

To be honest, when I was looking I was torn between the dragstar and the virago. Looked at some of both, couldn't make my friggin mind up, little to choose between them. Both good build quality, good reliability plenty of spares available, reasonably cheap insurance. Its a close call in every area, and I reckon if you would be happy with either, then look at both models. I would have been pleased with either in the right condition, at the right price. I came across the virago before I found a comparable condition/price dragstar, so I bought it. Never any regrets. Doddle to ride, bags of low down pull

But I wont advocate one over the other

Look at/sit on/test ride both, then make the call

Good luck

'Old man's bike' I like that. I am an old man so no problem there. I shall try both of them for size/feel but as for the test ride most sellers won't as far as I know. I guess I will know a little better when I have actually ridden a bike again as the last time was back in the 70's with an old Velocette mac. Thanks for the input guys. Got to admit I am really looking forward to it.

very surprised this question has came up??

after all in a choice if virago or dragstar there is only one answer

dragstar

it does have some weight to it but tbh when the bike is moving its as light as hell

and i would say 100% more reliable imo

noise i ave to say in comparison to my old draggie yours is quiet

what pipes is on yours?

you done a good build with that tho'

Yer my mum had the 535 and she said it was shit to ride but i think that cause she went from a pillion on a triumph speed triple to the 535 lol. But if i had the virago and draggy in front of me and was told to choose i would have the draggy every time.

I'm running Straight through pipes with short ram cone filters on the carbs. She is about 98Db's but the mic on my mates phone aint great. On a good day i am able to set off at least 2-3 cage alarms in tescos. :D

In standard form yes I still think they are crap. But those ones are my kinda bike!

I like both, but I had a 125 Dragstar which was great & a 1300 Midnight Star which was great so I'd go for the Dragstar...

Have you thought about the 950 Midnight star? Nice bike

Lol love how people are putting down the Virago. Unreliable?

I have a 1990 model 535, did a 300 mile round trip, didnt skip a beat, still hits 100mph, engine quiet, starts on the button, chrome lasts well, cheap to run, insure, easy to ride.

Here is mine:

I also did a vid review a while ago, its not amazing, but its here, might help you decide OP:

Wow, the Forum really goes out of its way to make Virago owners welcome

He asked for an opinion. Many people here did not like them, hence not owning them. Few Viggie owners have thus far chirped up.

I actually wanted one myself, until I rode one - No problem as a bike, but just not suited to me, hence me not utterly slamming the little workhorses.

Lol love how people are putting down the Virago. Unreliable?

The only major criticism I'd have of the Viggie is the small tank, even on later models.

I have the dual tank model, i ride the bike pretty hard, i get 105 miles before reserve, with a good 25-30 miles after that. A lot of sports bikes do less than that per tank.

Most places have petrol stations within 100 miles of eachother, if your route doesnt, take extra fuel

I've never owned or ridden a Viggie so can't comment on them really, other than to say they look nice (although personally I prefer the look of the Stars, hence I bought 2 & recommended them).

I'm sure Viggies are nice bikes but maybe people have had issues with them? A bit like Harleys, they look nice but have a reputation for not being reliable? On the last organised ride I went on (Squires to Catterick) the only bike I saw that had a problem was a fantastic looking Harley with loads of mods etc, but it was peeing oil when we got there...

Viggies are perfectly reliable, if maintained properly and even that doesn't take much. The fact that people still seek them out after so many years says something.

Parts are getting a bit hard to find.

The styling is a little dated and not to everyone's tastes.

They're a touch on the small side for some riders.

Most of these are just features of the bike though, not exactly Cons. Yes, they are getting old and bits may fail, but that's the same with most bikes anyway.

The 650 Drag is based on the 535, so there's little between them that doesn't come down to your personal preferences.

Hi Mailee,

This maybe a stupid question, but have you test ridden either of them. If you are wanting to know what they are gonna be like, I'd imagine a Yamaha dealer to feel them out might be best, then hit ebay/autotrader/etc if you're looking for second hand?

But then again, thats from someone on his first bike, with only a CBT and not much biking experience.

Cheers,

atocp

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online