Biker caught doing 104mph past a horse

sniff6
This post is 4201 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

true but to be more visible, they have no choice but I dare say a few have had there arses saved by one, its all about choice at the end of the day, and I wish horseriders would choose to wear vests, some do wear them here, and truth being known I've had them in my peripheral vision way before two more without them 50 yards further on.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woman riding horse on a public road, needs a flouro yellow waist jacket. I reckon that about sums it up.

its all about choice at the end of the day, and I wish horseriders would choose to wear vests,

Ahh you mean she 'needs' to choose whether to wear one or not, given due thought to the road conditions and visibility on the day, sounds a lot better that does, Perhaps she did ;)

Ah and maybe she didn't, seeing as the biker has his lights on. perhaps it was poor visibility.

Ah and maybe she didn't, seeing as the biker has his lights on. perhaps it was poor visibility.

No as you can see from the shadows it was a sunny day, remember the policemans quote? it was good visibility, as for the lights...somebody (probably living it up on our money in brussels) decided years ago that from such a date, the lights on bikes will be on all the time...just like they are on my bandit...I hear they are considering making it happen with cars next...well I suppose they have to 'earn' their keep somehow...y'know, keep on moving the goalposts like. hey no doubt all us bikers will 'need' to wear hiviz in due course :eusa_shifty::eusa_think::madflame: after were no longer distiguishable by having our headlights on!

Aye be interesting to see if theyve worked in Ireland where I think its mandatory, as for lights I can live with that.

Aye be interesting to see if theyve worked in Ireland where I think its mandatory, as for lights I can live with that.

Well you've lived a long time without it, so you must have been doing something right

whats mandatory in Ireland...viz jackets?

i think it is aye.

could be wrong with Ireland but deffo in France from Jan 2013.

your guess is as good as mine, depends if the MEP is a good golfer or not I suppose, but buy shares in hi vis clothing making companies before we do.is my advice

Hey, I'm bored at work and love a good debate. I am sometimes perhaps a little more insulting than intended, but it's part and parcel of using the extreme examples I'm so fond of, I guess. :D

Speaking of which - Sorry Nev, but I gotta have a little knock at this one...

A horse stands about 8 feet to the top of it's head, with a rider taking it to maybe 11 high and is a mostly symmetrical shape very different to a car or anything else you might expect to see on a road, especially a straight one with good vision like this.

So if you cannot already see a BIG-ASS horse under normal conditions, what good will a Hi-Viz do?

Besides... do deer, rabbits and badgers stop to put on Hi-Vizes before dashing across the road in front of you? Then why insist other potential road hazards do? I always maintain that individual observation is far better than more signs, conditions, rules and regs.

I don't argue that Hi-Viz *can* help visibility, but given how often it's also failed (brightish day, great visibility, black and yellow striped hi viz, Dynorod-Orange bike, white lid with black Mohawk, FUCKING LOUD pipes and only doing 30, yet *STILL* has a SMIDSY??!!) it should not be relied upon. I purposely don't use Hi-Viz or lights during daytime, which forces me to govern my riding with defensive moves that get me noticed. I also found Hi-Viz occasionally made me look like some easily intimidated safety-geek motorcyclist to certain cars... Now I have the Bad-Ass biker thing going, combined with my aggressive defense positioning they actually pay more attention and are a touch more carefull.

true but to be more visible, they have no choice but I dare say a few have had there arses saved by one, its all about choice at the end of the day, and I wish horseriders would choose to wear vests, some do wear them here, and truth being known I've had them in my peripheral vision way before two more without them 50 yards further on.

Hmmm. Having my headlights on on a bright, clear sunny day didnt stop SMIDSY pulling out in front of me when I was less than 15ft from his car

I reckon this is one of those debates where nobody actually comes out of it being right or wrong due to all differing opinions we can have on the subject.

For example Ttask,

A horse stands about 8 feet to the top of it's head, with a rider taking it to maybe 11 high and is a mostly symmetrical shape very different to a car or anything else you might expect to see on a road, especially a straight one with good vision like this.

So if you cannot already see a BIG-ASS horse under normal conditions, what good will a Hi-Viz do?

Aye true, but You can argue that a fork lift truck in a ware house, or a dustbin lorry are just as large, if not larger and just as easily seen, but still have to use a whopping great rotating orange light on them, 'just to let you know they're there', oh and the drivers generally have to wear a flouro yellow vest,

Besides... do deer, rabbits and badgers stop to put on Hi-Vizes before dashing across the road in front of you? Then why insist other potential road hazards do? I always maintain that individual observation is far better than more signs, conditions, rules and regs

Now I notice that you havent mentioned Hedgehogs in that lot, theres a chap down Tiggywinkle Farm would say he'd have a fewer Hedgehogs in his gaff if they did have yellow flouro vests. and another thing where I live here in Devon, if theres any chance of a Deer jumping out on you, you can bet your arris theres a pretty large sign just before, telling you theres a chance of it, generally putting you on guard

I don't argue that Hi-Viz *can* help visibility, but given how often it's also failed (brightish day, great visibility, black and yellow striped hi viz, Dynorod-Orange bike, white lid with black Mohawk, FUCKING LOUD pipes and only doing 30, yet *STILL* has a SMIDSY??!!) it should not be relied upon. I purposely don't use Hi-Viz or lights during daytime, which forces me to govern my riding with defensive moves that get me noticed. I also found Hi-Viz occasionally made me look like some easily intimidated safety-geek motorcyclist to certain cars... Now I have the Bad-Ass biker thing going, combined with my aggressive defense positioning they actually pay more attention and are a touch more carefull.

Now then, thats more like it, you don't want to wear a vest because it'd make you look daft and geekish, fair enough if thats how you roll, its your call, same with no lights, a few would argue they'd do differently, but its your choice, it's not the law 'yet' so you are able to choose whether or not you want to wear one. same as the gal on the horse, she chooses not to wear one, other horse riders do, and what I'm saying is its much easier to spot a horse rider wearing one than one not. just to add aswell. its her choice as to whether or not to wear a helmet, as the legal requirements are for children under 16 must wear one whilst riding on the highway, whereas adults don't have to.

But in my opinion it's just daft not to use one, but no doubt one not wearing one would have their own argument as to why not they choose not to wear one, as per cyclists, as per motorcyclists in some states in the USA, where its not compulsive to wear a helmet.

Hmmm. Having my headlights on on a bright, clear sunny day didnt stop SMIDSY pulling out in front of me when I was less than 15ft from his car

Aye true, its happened to me and thank fook theres not many do, but yes they do, but thats not because they haven't just seen you on your bike with your lights on, you could have a New Orleans Mardi Gras parade coming down the road to the junction they're pulling out from, if they are "miles away" it generally means they're not on this planet for the total of about 10 seconds, and minds totally oblivious to whats on the road at the time, most shunts I've known of, the person causing the accident often comes out with "sorry mate I just didn't see you" when really what they mean to say is, " shit man, I was miles away, I have this hot date tonight and was just thinking of where to take her,"

now then do you mean defend to the indefencible, or preach to the unpreachable? as I'd argue its the latter

>nobody actually comes out of it being right or wrong

It's not about right or wrong, it's about eliminating the stupid side of the argument (which I usually like to do with hilariously insane and extreme examples) and getting down to simple common sense.

>but still have to use a whopping great rotating orange light on them,

Only because there are too many morons not watching where they're going and pissing about texting to Facebook about how they're walking blindly along the road, not paying attention.

>where I live here in Devon, if theres any chance of a Deer jumping out on you, you can bet your arris theres a pretty large sign just before,

That's when one of the few local badgers runs out and the surviving driver bitches about there being no badger signs too... Thus was begat the myriad road signs everywhere, to stop the morons from getting hurt.

>Now then, thats more like it, you don't want to wear a vest because it'd make you look daft and geekish, fair enough if thats how you roll,

I'm asserting my demand that drivers wake up and pay fucking attention. I'm not Superman or anything, yet I still see things well in advance that they'd never notice unless they crashed into it... oh, wait, they do!

>what I'm saying is its much easier to spot a horse rider wearing one

Then perhaps all those FUCKING MASSIVE articulated lorries that I keep seeing cars crash into should also be painted in Hi-Viz... because a lot of cars SMIDSY them as well.... Bloody trucks. Never see them, always in yer blind spot, right!

Only because there are too many morons not watching where they're going and pissing about texting to Facebook about how they're walking blindly along the road, not paying attention.

Thats your opinion, not proven to be right, so not nessessarily right.just an opinion, fair enough.

That's when one of the few local badgers runs out and the surviving driver bitches about there being no badger signs too... Thus was begat the myriad road signs everywhere, to stop the morons from getting hurt.

Well I've seen signs for Deer, signs for Toads, signs for low flying Pheasants, true none for Badgers, but my reply was to your question, do Deer , Rabbits or Badgers need to wear a high viz vest?, no as that is ridiculous, the reason being there is generally a sign telling you that you are within an area that has a high risk of a Deer jumping out at you.

I'm asserting my demand that drivers wake up and pay fucking attention. I'm not Superman or anything, yet I still see things well in advance that they'd never notice unless they crashed into it... oh, wait, they do!

Aye I'm in agreement on that , 'asserting your demand' comes over abit harsh mind, what I'm saying here is ' I just wish horse riders would wear high viz waste jackets for the road as it aids visibility.

Then perhaps all those FUCKING MASSIVE articulated lorries that I keep seeing cars crash into should also be painted in Hi-Viz... because a lot of cars SMIDSY them as well.... Bloody trucks. Never see them, always in yer blind spot, right!

Well a 'pedantic' answer to that would be, when was the last time you saw one of a fleet of thousands of Dyno Rod vans, all over the country, ever in an accident, I've been a road user for many a year now, and can't remember ever seeing one in a shunt, maybe it's because they are painted fook off dayglo Orange, and if so, aye, paint all lorries some flouro colour or other. Of course there are dosey twats of drivers up and down the country, running into lorries, but not because they aren't visible but because the driver just isn't concentrating on the road infront of him. more often than not fiddling about either with his mobile phone or changing his CD, falling asleep, etc

i think he was delt with rather harshely , as the donkey and rider appear un-nerved and obliviouse to the whole situation.

Wholey crap what did I start.

Miss one thread for a day and BANG everyone is up in arms.

I think we all agree that roads are for motor vehicles primarly,,,, sidewalks and subways are for ppl

That said you still have to look out for all the other things that can and will happen day in and day out.

I agree with everyone`s opinon,,I have been pissed off by everyother person on the road at one time or another.

If farmers cant let a person travle safely across thier land on a horse and thier is no safe passage then ...it`s up to the hores rider to determin wheather or not it safe to pass ..as we all are required to do.

Thier is no mention In the Police report as to when the horse and rider entered the road ....... Maybe the rider of the bike or horse didn`t see eachother and it was just a case of oops

SUCK IT UP and go have a BEER and chill out