Does this look suspicious?

baggie00001
This post is 4135 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm looking to buy a DTR125 as a rebuild project. I found this one for sale on Gumtree. Its odd because the bike is clearly a DT125RE but the seller says the Bike is a DT125 2002 model. Correct me if i am wrong but wasn't the DT125RE not made as early as 2002.

I am suspicious that this may be a stolen bike with an older bikes identity. Any help or advice...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/dt125-r-with-11months-mot-no-tax/110742313

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Has the manufacturer down as other and the wrong colour.

May be honest but if your first impression stinks leave it.

There are no end out there.

I have sent an email asking the seller to confirm that the photos are of the bike advertised because i am pretty sure that bike was not made as early as 2002. I havent had a reply.

Its not unusual that gumtree ads dont have the right manufacturer because its usually a drop down menu to select the manufacturer. Trouble is that it only gives options for car manufacturers and not bikes. I have advertised on there in the past and had the put "other" for manufacturer.

If your instinct tells you it's dodgy make sure you check it all over thoroughly before buying it. If it is stolen the current owner may not even be aware. I was in a petrol staion a few months ago and a guy funnily enough had a DT 125 supermoto, so I started talking to him and he said he didn't have a log book for it and he didn't think to ask. Some people really are just clueless.

You could HPI check it if you wanted it badly.

Send the reg to that text checker, I did with mine. It telss you whether it's H.P.I. clear, a write off, or stolen. I think they are a few different ones so google the number.

The registration is probably legit but the bike is a newer bike than a 52 plate. I'm pretty sure that the bike in the image wasn't even manufactured until 2004. Last ones were made in 2007. This looks to me like its a 2007 model because of the oval shaped indicators. They were square shaped indicators prior to 2007. I already have a 2007 DT125RE. If you look. The bike that is being sold is identical to mine.

I think the bike is a 2007 but with a 2002 bike identity. If it were a car it would be known as a ringer. Not sure if the same name applies to bikes.

This is my DT125RE 2007 bike

IMG_2314_zps71eedb1d.jpg

I was down at the local(ish) VOSA depot to get my auld Triumph inspected and get rid of the Q plate. I got talking to the bloke and he was saying that the amount of ringers folk have bought off gumtree has soared over the last couple of years. The poor cnuts dont realise it until they turn up for an inspection to get a v5. So whatever you decide to do make sure you check the bike over thoroughly before handing over your hard earned cash.

Oh and the Q plate is no more, the bike now has the appropriate age related number plate attached. :spin2:

I asked this same question when i first saw this bike. On another forum It was pointed out that this style was sold in france and other places before 2004. They arrived here in the u in 2004 but the styling was definityl around. Take the dt230 lanza. A 1997 has this type of panels etc. With regards to the indicators. They stopped being square in 2004 when the RE came out.

This could well be a 2002 but would have to be an import i think. Unless someone has pit the RE panels and tank on an older frame.

• 2 months later...

BEWARE text checker does not check for outstanding finance, I know this is true because I bought a fiesta van in may, got it locallyprivate sale, I HPI,d it and it came out with outstanding finance,

the guy had only had it a short time and it was not big enough for what he wanted and he had bought a berlingo , and seemed honest and straight enough, so I phoned him and asked if he knew this ,

he nearly dropped the phone ,

He said he had text checked it and it came back ok , then said just a minute i still have the text, checked it and sure enough nothing about outstanding finance, or finance at all,

this was on a bank holiday monday , so 9 am tuesday morning i phoned black horse finance, they said no it is clear as far as we are concerned, they contacted HPI and cleared it then, a hour later i had a email from HPI saying it was now clear

• 3 weeks later...

If any members need an experian check done I can do this at my work free.......I don't know if i'm allowed to put my email address on here so if one of the moderators read this please let me know. I work in a showroom so it will take me two seconds to do...

Davie

A very kind offer there thankyou, as for email address , yes we will not stop you putting it there but what we advise is instead of putting for example

[email protected] you use joebloggs"at"whatever.net.com, and say replace "at" with the @ symbol

to stopautomated spam collectors finiding your email , or better is just to ask people to pm you

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online