Newbie - Clothing

steveyg_uk
This post is 4411 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hopefully this is the right section?

Evening everyone. Purchased a new bike and picking it up next week. Can anyone recomend any cheap but good quality clothing please? Ideal for traverling back and forth work about 60 mile roundtrip. Don't really want to wear full leathers - any ideas welcomed please.

Cheers in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aldi and Lidi sometimes have jacket and trousers,,,,there not too bad for short journeys,,,, they would be good enough quality till you can find some gear that you like and can spend the money on.

I'd consider 60 miles quite a long trip on the bike and certainly worthy of decent kit!

At -7ºC standing temperature (like it was here around last November) the wind chill factor of riding at 60-70mph puts you at something like -27ºC. If it's raining and you get wet, it drops another ten degrees to -37ºC.

Exposed flesh will freeze in about a minute, you go hypothermic and fall off the bike.

60 miles in that? Good luck. See you at your funeral.

Also, at 60 miles commuting even in good weather, I'd always go for the best protection possible.

I only do about 10 miles each way to work and even still, thanks to the dickheads on the road, I'd never ride in anything but full leathers.

Remember, it's not just about how well you ride that keeps you safe, but what measures you take to avoid becoming someone else's victim.

I've known the absolute best of the best still fall to someone else's bad driving...

Hopefully this is the right section?

Evening everyone. Purchased a new bike and picking it up next week. Can anyone recomend any cheap but good quality clothing please? Ideal for traverling back and forth work about 60 mile roundtrip. Don't really want to wear full leathers - any ideas welcomed please.

Cheers in advance

Youll get a shed load of differing recommendations. Get the best that you can afford, trawl around looking for sales bargains/end of lines etc, and dont be afraid to haggle haggle haggle

Thank you guys. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. I don't seem to receive notifcations once someone has responded - plus it's been my birthday today.

Thank you for the all advise - much appreciated.

I tend not to ride in very wet weather - I have the choice being retired. I have Frank Thomas stuff which has generally been ok.

But today I had the bike booked in for it's MOT. What a day.

The MOT garage is about 5 miles away, partly on A1(M) and when I got there the boys said they were surprised that I had turned out. It was lagging it down. And I forgot my wallet so had to get my wife to bring it in the car. :shakeno:

However, getting to the point, I didn't suffer any leaks in the gear apart from the fingers of my gloves - probably need to be re proofed or something, and the bottom edge of my Shoei full face helmet where the odd drip blew onto my face.

It's all hanging in the garage now and the bike is going to need a serious clean. Always surprised at how brown/muckythe water is off the road, and of course it all sticks. Sorry for thread drift.

I use both Frank Thomas and Halvarssons kit, Weisse and Hein Gericke gloves, Caberg lids, 1982 British Army issue boots (BCH mkII).

Look for end-of-season sales, or early year sales of last season's kit. I got 2 jackets, brand new fully armoured, for £30 each. That's almost £400 worth for 15% of the original sale price!!

I use both Frank Thomas and Halvarssons kit, Weisse and Hein Gericke gloves, Caberg lids, 1982 British Army issue boots (BCH mkII).

Look for end-of-season sales, or early year sales of last season's kit. I got 2 jackets, brand new fully armoured, for £30 each. That's almost £400 worth for 15% of the original sale price!!

Out of interest, where did you get it from? I can't seem to find a single bargin online anywhere?

I went on the May Day run down to Hastings.

They had a massive street thing, with something like 30,000 bikers. Guys pulling wheelies, stoppies and burnouts in the middle of the road, 2 cops looking on and knowing they can't do a fucking thing (unless they want the 600 Backpatchers next to them kicking off), etc.

In the middle were all the stalls and local shops were flogging masses of stuff for absolute pennies!!

Hey, before i got my full leathers i had a Nitro Jacket and trousers to match ( Textiles) think the jacket came in about 90 and the trousers aobut the same?? but the guy in the local shop gave me discount for them both

just pop into yer local shop and see what they have - really depends on what your going to be riding e.g. if your going to be a commuter in all weather then spending a bit more on a jacket with removable layers is well worth it !

failing that, go into the shop, try some on fro size then find something online ebay usually has heaps of "half decent" stuff . . asl otry ghost bikes

I got sum Lewis gear on ebay great stuff what ever the weather