Proud of my girl...

Morpheuz
This post is 4457 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

With it being mostly dry today, and the sun out a bit, I went cross county on my XVS, she got 70mph!

I'm still waiting for the bigger front sprocket to come so she should be able to cater a lovely cruising speed now!

She's thirsty mind you, set off with more or less a full tank..... after 35 miles, shes below half.....

I like a girl that swallows it anyhoo...

Anyone else go out today (wed)?

Yorkshire area?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I popped out for an hour or so today on the R6, its amazing how much of a stress relief escaping on the bike can be. Cant wait for the summer! =)

She's thirsty mind you, set off with more or less a full tank..... after 35 miles, shes below half.....

What's the tank capacity on the 125? Half a tank for 35 miles sounds like a lot for a 125.

I got between 130-140 miles out of a full tank on my XVS 125 so are you sure you not got a fuel leak? lol

I went out yesterday to work on the old girl, had a really good time, nice and dry till i went out at lunch time and there was a burst water main which i had to ride through so now i have a nice muddy black wet bike :(

With it being mostly dry today, and the sun out a bit, I went cross county on my XVS, she got 70mph!

I'm still waiting for the bigger front sprocket to come so she should be able to cater a lovely cruising speed now!

I drive everyday. i only parked the bike for about 3 weeks in December.

Yorkshire area?

Yorkshire area?

Stock bike should do 70 without any mods, and still get 120-130 miles to a tank

Expect about 120 miles before reserve, with a top speed of 70+ and effortless cruising at 65.

Eh, Im sure I was reading a thread about someone who was modding their xvs trying to reach 70?

Ah well, I suppose I'm ok then, just need me sprocket and maybe another 1 or 2 sizes up on the main jet....

I dunno about the fuel though, I'll have to fill up and watch her, I have no idea how much is left by looking down the cap due to

the tank shape...I thought it was roughly half, I've had roughly 2-3 main rides on her, still getting used to it,

anyone know how many miles should be in the reserve area?

Noticed she struggles to pull at top end until engine reaches a certain rpm to pull fuel, once warmed up she is fine, and summer will bring the A/F ratio closer, so you recon I should leave the main jet for now?

I remember that my XVS 125 had 120 before resurve and an extra 20 on resurve but i didn't risk more than 20 on resurve as i didnt wanna be bum loved in a dark field waiting for Mr RAC to bring me more fuel lol.

Never changed my needle, but my XVS125 used to do between 60-70mph depending on the wind and hills... It would also do 60mph two up no problems. I noticed it seemed to pull better on the hills once I swapped the carb joint and changed spark plugs. As stated above 120 miles is about right before having to switch to reserve.

As stated above, 120 miles before reserve. Actual figure will vary depending on how you're riding, but 120 is a safe number. I never saw how far reserve went.

70mph on a stock standard 125 Drag is easy - Accelerate to max speed in 4th gear, take it all the way up to the top of the powerband, then shift up into 5th. 5th gear is more for easing the revs at max output, but also allows a gentle 'top up'. Apply enough throttle to maintain current speed (probably around 65 at this point), then gradually increase throttle to max over about 30 seconds to a minute.

Obviously this is a motorway/A-road cruising technique and needs a bit of forward observation to be worthwhile, but I got a consistent top speed of 74mph using this. Great for riding London to Cornwall and back!

I totally get the fuel stats now, cheers.

I may have to take her in for a complete check up, i.e chains, tappets, and stuff, she has a fuel cleaner in her so that mayu have contributed to the consumption.

I noticed after I topped her up I had more power, maybe all this in conjunction is what made her sluggish and thirsty.

I have just orderes a 19t front sprocket, people have done the 2 up front and 2 down rear one but I'd rather just do 3 up front.

I totally get the fuel stats now, cheers.

I may have to take her in for a complete check up, i.e chains, tappets, and stuff, she has a fuel cleaner in her so that mayu have contributed to the consumption.

I noticed after I topped her up I had more power, maybe all this in conjunction is what made her sluggish and thirsty.

I have just orderes a 19t front sprocket, people have done the 2 up front and 2 down rear one but I'd rather just do 3 up front.

3 up on the front? Prepare to be overtaken by milk floats/disabled buggies/joggers :shakeno:

Yeah I know, I thought it may have been similar to the 2up front and 2 down rear, but had the ratio calculated and its too much for the engine aint it.

Personally, I like keeping the stock on the front and only changing the rear down, its easier on the engine I think.

I might go 2 down on the back and 1 up front... or none.

I might go 2 down on the back and 1 up front... or none.

Bloody hell,hope your missus is compliant and open minded? :babyha: