Ordered an XVS 125cc

Morpheuz
This post is 4444 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Now then,

First post, got some questions about the Dragstar, I have ordered one and its 12K milage, 1 owner, 2005.

I just wanted to get the opinions and thoughts on this bike and weather there is any problems related to this model.

Its a 125cc, and better than the Huoniao I had before, ("Whats a friggin Huoniao", Yes I can hear you.) So I'm happy either way.

First of all, direct questions, I've been looking up and found some hard to believe answers from various places, on high milage for a 125.

What would you consider High milage for this model? I've been told 12K is low, I think its toward moderate.

Secondly, are the exhausts all one unit, or are the ends slip on? I dont fancy the muffled up pipes, I like the cutaways.

Whats this 125 like with hills and headwinds? My old bike was ok with full mods, but did struggle... does this have more torque due to two pistons?

I fully believe I'll enjoy this bike, as I've heard marvellous things about them, i.e. bolts are actually made of good stuff and not lead or playdough...

Looking forward to regularly visiting this site.

Morph.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI Morph and welcome to the YOC, might be an idea if you were to go to the "NEW MEMBER" section and tell us who you are BEFORE asking for advice, other than that the 125 is a nice bike have heard lots of good things about it and it has some excellent build qualities, but like most 125s it will struggle a bit on steep hills and fierce headwinds but down hill and on the flat it should rock your world, some one else on here will know about the exhaust issues but only if you introduce your self first, once again welcome and a HAPPY NEW year to you. :jossun:

Now then,

First post, got some questions about the Dragstar, I have ordered one and its 12K milage, 1 owner, 2005.

I just wanted to get the opinions and thoughts on this bike and weather there is any problems related to this model.

Its a 125cc, and better than the Huoniao I had before, ("Whats a friggin Huoniao", Yes I can hear you.) So I'm happy either way.

First of all, direct questions, I've been looking up and found some hard to believe answers from various places, on high milage for a 125.

What would you consider High milage for this model? I've been told 12K is low, I think its toward moderate.

Secondly, are the exhausts all one unit, or are the ends slip on? I dont fancy the muffled up pipes, I like the cutaways.

Whats this 125 like with hills and headwinds? My old bike was ok with full mods, but did struggle... does this have more torque due to two pistons?

I fully believe I'll enjoy this bike, as I've heard marvellous things about them, i.e. bolts are actually made of good stuff and not lead or playdough...

Looking forward to regularly visiting this site.

Morph.

Congratulations, its a great bike to start off with, good build quality and reliability

Keep it clean, follow the service recommendations, and enjoy it for what it is. 12k is not a lot of miles in 7 years. Check the serivice record, it might be due some work. Might be worth counting the teeth on the front and rear sprockets as owners frequentyl change them to try to improve performance/mpg. Standard are 16 teeth on the front and 38 teeth on the rear. Its best to know what youve got on the bike as it does impact upon performance.

Standard sprockets should get you to 70mph, but it may not hold that when going up an incline. Think of it more as a 50 to 60mph cruiser/commuter

Early models 2000-01 had some reported crankshaft failures, but yours should not be affected. Check that 2005 date, I thought that they stopped making them in 2004, but it could have been first registred in 2005.

Be wary about modifying the exhaust system, you may have to buy and fit baffles when it comes to MOT time, and perfomance may be affected

If youve not already got them, search for the owners manual and service manual on this site, or send me a message and Ill mail them to you.

Good luck with it

Cheerz guys, I'll keep an eye out on things, I'm far from dippy when it comes to maintainence, my Huoniao took all my mistakes, and I learnt from them, best way to learn IMO.

The Huoniao was good for what it was, I modified it to the max and completely cut stuff off the lot, I got 80 mph out of it and thats from a stock 60mph, most got lower than that, like 55 max.

I went over board with TLC, buying Motul 300v double ester every week..... spent more on oil than the bike was worth...

This bike will get TLC but I'll have to curb it a bit, it may get some power upgrades, but I can't go defacing the girl..... Huoniaos are for that, because they dont hold on to their fairings anyway...

Do these V-Twins have more torque due to more frequent explosions at any given time?

High mileage = 80k and above.

These things will last well, though.

Exhausts... Don't worry about that. It will hold it's resale value better with all original stuff and will be far less hassle. It won't sound much better with any changes and will need a lot of fiddling.

Hills - You'll be lucky to get to 60 (assuming proper hills, that is).

Top speed is about 74, done properly.

Torque... You have a fair amount of grunt for a 125.

You have 12BHP and the bike weighs 144kg (24 stone). However, mine still managed motorway speeds going 2-up with a 13 stone pillion, plus a weekend's worth of luggage :D

Hey Morph, I had a XVS 125 and it was a cracking bike! i would say tho that the rear fender is plastic and held up by a metal frame thats not very well protected so will be rusty so if i was you (or if you want to that is) is to take off the fender and tackle and rust prevent it.

Going up hill you will find you could be playing with the gears to maintain speed and head winds will slow you down. they are more torquey that singles but the pistons are nothing to shout about so just another thing to bare in mind.

If you want new exhausts try japsandhogs.com (or co.uk) but not sure if they are still about but always worth a shot.

Also chuck up some pics when you get it

All in all its a fantastic bike and im sure your have fun on it ;)

Cheers for the info, yeah, it came today, spotted a bit of rust here and there... and there...

..but it looks cool, I noticed the rear engine cylinders exhausts is like a fake, the front has a fat chrome exhaust whereas the rear has a chrome plate over it with a tattly looking pipe behind it.

Whats the deal with that? is it stock? Dont understand why they would give the front a cool exhaust and then give the rear the middle finger.

Also, the booklet reccomends 15w-50 for oil, but Ive heard every other source say 10w-40, is the 15-50 for higher cc's or is it truely what the 125 needs?

Thanks all

10W40 is pretty standard for the UK.

I think the fat bits on the exhaust are just the heat shields. They are fat to look a bit better and to help keep you from burning your leg, is all. The actual pipe bits are pretty thin under all the shrouding.

I'll end up putting Motul 300v 10w-40 in it, with a ZDDP additive in, for the tappets and to boost the Zinc/Phosphorous level in the oil.

I'll put SI-1 Fuel treatment in it to clean out the engine, and then there on I'll monitor rust areas and engine smoothness, may add power mods after that, and then maybe upgrade a few parts.

Don't waste your money on additives - just a semi synth bike oil will be fine or silkolene v-twin fully syth if you are flush with cash.

Ive noticed my bike is laden with rust, its got paint flaking off everywhere and all the heat fins are scaley..

Is anyone elses xvs rusty, I was always told that rust is the silent killer, and if left will see you flying down the road on your ass, is it worth getting a complete restore done?

Seems to me like everything these days is made of steel.. why not stainless steel I dont know...

Yes my XVS was also rsty so i dun a full strip down (left the engine in) and sorted out the rust. i still have the XVS manwell on CD if you would like to buy it?

If only all bikes where stainless steel! would be so much better but it costs more than normal steel so the cost of bikes will then go stupid so its down to us riders to keep them in good order.............plus what would people like me do during winter times.....go back to talking to the missus n watching day time tv??? I THINK NOT MY GOOD SIR!!! LOL

LOL I get ya, I've got a letter written out for the dealer, he told me it was great condition with no scratches and faults.

Its got a crack in the intake manifold, rust everywhere, and scratches, its service records indicate it wasnt touched for 12,000 miles....... no oil changes no nothing....

Coupled with the rust and crack, fecking up the mixture, I wonder what condition the insides are in.... dare not think about it... its off back, and its the last time I buy something without viewing it.

I will be loosing out on courier fees, but I had no choice, I couldnt get there to view it and it was the only good bike I could find, I love bikes, and hate cars.... I suppose I could get it restored fully, but at what price...

I'm doing this because the dealer thought an honest question deserved a BS answer.. excersizing rights and shit...

Moving on to another vehicle... does anyone know any bikes/cruisers that are similar that are still being made new?

Just give it some good care and attention yourself.

TBH, most 125 Cruisers are in good nick, usually. Even the high mileage ones that have been abused a bit.

Sounds like you just lost out on this particular one. I hate to say it, but that is indeed what happens if you don't go and try before you buy.

Ive reccived a bit more info from the dealer, he spoke to the previous owner and apparently its had services.... but not by mechanics, I dont have a kick start so I tested compression by pushing it in gear, I can only push it past one pistons compression stroke then its too much pressure so I guess its not fecked :/

As for the large amounts of rust, ive smeared it in grease all over, and the scratches will remain until I replace exhausts.

The intake manifold can be replaced I guess, I'll just have to find one... hopefully my fanatic ways for maintainence and care will keep it together.

I think its been tipped over from being still, and its been ridden in the rain a few times, other than that its got 12k milage and is like any other.

I get pessimistic when getting new things :eusa_snooty: When I should be happy :butterfly:

:crazy:

i think the viagro may use the same intake manifold i just had a look on a breakers website thats close to me as i know they broke an xvs but most of the parts are now sold

• 2 weeks later...

for the intake manifold i recommend ebay they charge £100 at a dealer but you can pick one up for £15 on ebay and they work just aswell

infact as we are on the subject i am looking for a downpipe for the rear cylinder that is a main place for rust i didnt quite catch it in time and my exhaust has now crumbled past the point of no return but according to my dealer they dont sell that part seperately just out of interest where is the OP from?

i think the viagro may use the same intake manifold i just had a look on a breakers website thats close to me as i know they broke an xvs but most of the parts are now sold

its not quite the same .......it will fit but it will reposition your carb plus the inner diameter is diferant.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online